• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Amazon.de lowers price to 29.99€!!

jeoens

Amazon.de lowers price to 29.99€!!

Pretty self-explanatory! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

---
Guten Tag!

Wir gruessen Sie ganz herzlich. Zu Ihrer Amazon.de-Bestellung gibt es Neuigkeiten.

Der Preis des folgenden Titels hat sich verringert (Preisangabe ohne Mwst):
neuer Preis alter Preis
"Spacecenter Babylon 5 - Staffel 1 / Box Set"
EUR 25,85 EUR 30,16

Ihre Kreditkarte bzw. Ihr Bankkonto wird mit dem niedrigeren Preisbelastet.
----
BTW, these prices are without VAT.

Great news!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Re: Amazon.de lowers price to 29.99€!!

They must be insane, but from my point of view, they are most positively insane. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Together with shipment, this makes 38.50 euros, which in my place of residence, should fall below the VAT threshold.

Efficient. It seems that with this disk, I will prefer buying the R2 version first, and the R1 version only if needed -- perhaps as a gift, should I find some leftover money lying around in piles.

By the way, Amazon.de Sales Rank: 2 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Amazon.de Sales Rank - 2

[/quote]
I think B5 was very popular in Germany.
IMO there are 3 countries in this side of the Atlantic ocean where B5 was hit - UK,Finland and Germany. (Finland average rating were 250 000 - considering in what timeslot it aired this is amazing raitng)

Amazon.de sales rank = 1

Anyway, I was just looking at the Season 1 Box Set on Amazon.co.uk, and comparing it with the Amazon.de one. For some reason the .de one is supposed to be 968 minutes and the .uk one is 924 minutes. It's a big chunk of time difference.

Anyone have any idea why?

Just as confused as you. Relativistic time dilation? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe one takes into account only the actual episodes (22x42 minutes = 924 minutes) and the other also ads the running time of the documentaries or something? Or the other one thinks the eps are 44 minutes long instead of the actual 42?

isn't it because PAL is 4% faster? (that means amazon.co.uk got right time)

I thought German TV also used PAL? All running times (including those provided by the studio) are estimates for this kind of thing anyway. It is likely that one figure includes the bonus material and the other doesn't. The difference sounds about right for that.

Regards,

Joe

I thought German TV also used PAL?

[/quote]
I never said they use /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I quess they just made typo or looked wrong announcement or something similar.
It is likely that one figure includes the bonus material and the other doesn't. The difference sounds about right for that.

[/quote]
Then why they list all the extras?

Then why they list all the extras?

[/quote]

Could be a number of reasons:

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Perhaps because they are there, and they don't want to leave anything out.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Perhaps they haven't been given the running times of the extra features

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Perhaps it is just traditional for them to quote running times without including the extras.

Whatever the reason for it, the running time quoted of 924 minutes is exactly the time that 22 episodes of 42 minutes each would last.

Cheers,

Whatever the reason for it, the running time quoted of 924 minutes is exactly the time that 22 episodes of 42 minutes each would last.

[/quote]
Yep. Isn't that what I said in an above post? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I do have a feeling that the German site may have added the running time of the extras to the total time, for whatever reason (maybe they were given the running time of the extras and the UK site wasn't or doesn't traditionally do that). Or the German site quoted the running time of the NTSC set, for whatever reason.

Has anyone checked what running time is given at Region 1 sites? It should be more than 924 minutes, that's for sure.

Are the British and German DVDs the same DVDs? The wording on the box is different, but that is easy to change.

The language used could be taken from the settings of the DVD player. Thinking about it, I would expect the governments to add different censorship statements to the front. It is possible that the CDs hold both and the computer selects the correct one. The way to tell is to examine the adverts/previews; they are likely to be different.

Checked some region 1 sites myself... at least one of them gives running time as 990 minutes, which is exactly 22 x 45 minutes. So looks like the German site did not put up the R1 information by accident. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Are the British and German DVDs the same DVDs?

[/quote]
Looks so. They both have English, German and French soundtracks (info from Amazon.de and Play.com) and subtitles in the same languages, plus the same extras. So it does look like only the cover is different.

If they are indeed the same, then I'd be horribly tempted to get the amazon.de one. The price difference is quite large for me.

The only trouble is that I HATE the way they've translated the show's title. They call it "Spacecenter Babylon 5", and that's what's splashed across the box. Grrrrr.... makes it sound horrible! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Yeah... I agree. The price is tempting but I just don't want the German box. This probably sounds totally stupid and snobbish... but I want the English box!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Even though I could save about 25% by order from amazon.de, I'm going to stick with the boxset wih "english" coverart.
A part of the reason I want to own B5 is that it'll look good in my DVD collection. The german coverart would much diminish that.

Latest posts

Members online

Back