• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Alien Words/Phrases

I believe I saw a JMS post that he HAS worked out a dictionary of useful words and phrases in Minbari. maybe teh other languages too. He likes to be consistent where possible.

Speaking of consistency, how many people here are awar of the "OOPS" in "Comes The Inquisitor"? In the original dialogue, JMS got the East & West ends of London turned around. He had Sebastion in the wrong part of town. They re-recorded the line when someone noticed after the first broadcast, but, if you read lips, you can see the original, since all they did was fix the soundtrack.
blush.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Speaking of consistency, how many people here are aware of the "OOPS" in "Comes The Inquisitor"? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[raises hand] As I remember, jms was real embarrassed about that. He followed the Ripper case real closely. He copped to mixing up West and East End before the ep even aired, but from his postings, he sounded like he wanted to crawl into a hole.
wink.gif

Getting back to language, I remember a really impressive write-up that a fan in Australia did (Annie Hamilton, I think), comparing Minbari and Quenya, the Elvish languages. If anyone finds them, archive 'em and send us the link! They were a real treat.

------------------
Joe Medina (neargrai@aol.com)

"...that which are, we are"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babylon-ocholic:
This isn't actually a discussion, but a charity to myself. Please, I wasn't hugged enough as a child. I need love.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGE HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}, hey we all need love sometimes.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SwiftBiscuit:
Do you think the B5 fans are insane enough to create a whole Minbari language, like the Trekkies have done with Klingon?
cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Klingon and Vulcan. I am a trekkie too.

And Yes I do at that. Think we could that is.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

[This message has been edited by GideonsMine (edited June 07, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Trk Voyager, that's a good one

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

[This message has been edited by GideonsMine (edited June 07, 2001).]

I just went on the net and found a lot of minbari words...not enough to make a sentance but it's okay.
smile.gif

NARN!
Chad'rasha
Narn language for "soul" or "center" of a person.

------------------
"Zathras trained in crisis manegment!" :D

I haven't been able to verify this, but didn't jms once say the grammar he used for Minbari was similar to German? [shrug]

------------------

SHENLL! SHENLL! MACH SHENLL!
Guten Tag.
Ich Blute Stark.
Ine hir frawline.

Not spelled right but, can you imagine Lennier speaking German?

------------------
"Zathras trained in crisis manegment!" :D

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babylon-ocholic:
SHENLL! SHENLL! MACH SHENLL!
Guten Tag.
Ich Blute Stark.
Ine hir frawline.

Not spelled right but, can you imagine Lennier speaking German?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nein, Gott im Himmel!

------------------
"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end? It comes from within."

Not spelled right but, can you imagine Lennier speaking German?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe if I was watching B5 in Germany.
laugh.gif

(Now I'm getting this truly weird image of a B5 version of "Hogan's Heroes," with G'Kar as Colonel Hogan. This is the last time I get some Cabernet and log into B5LR.com on the same night!
wink.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Fas'En Shok - Evasive Maneuvers
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How wrong can you get? That's obviously Minbari for "Fasten - Zip"!
laugh.gif

Actually, there isn't A Minbari language. Each Caste has it's own language. Then there is the "common" language they use when the Castes need to communicate.

There was one conversation where Lennier was talking about a word or phrase that existed in ALL Minbari languages but never meant the same thing in any of them. He mentioned a lot more than just 4 or 5 languages.

How many of them are still current and how many are Ancient, would be the next question. If they started out with that many, a culture as Tradition bound as the Minbari would still be using quite a few of them.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

Simple but usless Minbari Phrases

"Nucen Falarni en alis midron"

i think we all know what that means hmmmm?

"Nucent'al"
"New Sen Tal" = Pronunciation

Meaning:
"You're Welcome"

"Ar'hel"
"Are Hell" = Pronunciation

Meaning:
"Continuous Fire"

"Phas'anshok"
"Phase an shock" = Pronunciation

Meaning:
"I'll take over"

"Tekash"
"Tech ash" = Pronunciation

Meaning:
"Thank you"

thats all i can remember off the top of my head, yeah iam the one who is constantly testing "Raider" on minbari phrases
laugh.gif

------------------
The Question is, is whether he know that he knows?

Actually Zha doesn't mean the future it just means THE

Isil Zha means the future

jms did say that Z'Ha in Z'Ha'Dum is another variation of THE. So it is possible Z'Ha'Dum could mean THE TERROR
shocked.gif

The Minbari pronuciation of Soul Hunter sounds a bit unfortunate in contemporary British English colloquialism. I think it's Shak Tot, I just hope it isn't spelt another way cos that would be just sooooooo grim
blush.gif

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

Galahad, here it is, from JMS mouth to your ear.
wink.gif
This is from the Lurker's guide archive of JMS answers to common questions.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Zha is the usual reference for the future, whose meaning changes depending on whether it's a suffix or a prefix, and what it's up against. Isil-zha usually means change, changing the future, coming of a new age; entil-zha is the one who creates or guides the forces creating the future; and z'ha'dum (with the broken zha) is the death of the future, or the dark future. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

Well Raider i was just testing you as always and thats the story iam sticking to..

"En' Sico"
"En See Co" = Pronounciation

Meaning:

"I'll take over"

thier happy now?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The Question is, is whether he knows that he knows?

Bakana... I do not doubt thee!

There must be conflicting information out there somewhere, I definitely read it as a quote somewhere.... which means somebody somewhere is deliberately misquoting jms to make a fast buck. Lurker's Guide is reliable, I think I read my bit in a magazine "interview" or in another post online.

I should have checked to see if the journalist was called Daniel, and whether or not any photo's of jms were holographic
wink.gif

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Master:
Well Raider i was just testing you as always and thats the story iam sticking to..

"En' Sico"
"En See Co" = Pronounciation

Meaning:

"I'll take over"

thier happy now?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like an oil company!

------------------