• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

After..

D

**DONOTDELETE**

After reading the beginning of some lost script I just couldn't go on. Why o why did they have to end Crusade =(

TNT Atlanta Suit - a 50/50 mix of the most perfect form of an idiot and the most perfect form of a jerk. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

'Nuff said.

Gideon, "Pluto once said that for everything that exists, there is a perfect form of it somewhere. A perfect human being, a perfect chair, a perfect stick, so that everything is a shadow of that one perfect form. Now, if we follow that train of thought, that means that somewhere in the universe there exists the perfect form of the perfect absolute and complete idiot...." and that is the TNT executives - and the Sierria ones as well come to think of it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Plato. Pl<font color="red">A</font color>to. Argh! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

...or were you trying to put a Warner Brothers spin on it. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pluto is cuter. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yes, indeed, I think we all here would agree with that sentiment. Yes, somewhere (and we know where) there is the *perfect idiot*. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pluto is cuter

[/quote]

But not quite as eloquent. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif This reminds me of one of my favorite bits of dialogue from the old series Soap. After a character mentions Plato in a list of famous men who were gay Jessica says, "Mickey Mouse's dog is gay?"

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

Joe

Oh God, Soap was so funny! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I absolutely adored that show, right up to the end. It got a bit weird at the end there, but I still thought it was funnier than 99.9% of television. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I didn't check the spelling, just copied and pasted it from the Down Below Sound Archives - oh well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What, you mean the part where aliens replace Bert with a duplicate?? I CAN'T believe I remember that show, I was like 9 years old when it was reruns on late night TV, hah.
That was some original comedy for the time period. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by LightNZ: </font color>
I didn't check the spelling, just copied and pasted it from the Down Below Sound Archives - oh well /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/quote]

Yes, the Down Below Sound Archives are full of stuff like that. If I use stuff from there, I always at least run it through a spell check. A better place to get quotes is Babylon 5 Quotes but unfortunately, it doesn't cover Crusade. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sorry for being so like "Monk." /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I do remember the duplicate. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Yes, it has been a long while since I've seen that show, but it was truly unique, especially for its time.

One of my favorite bits is in the opening sequence. They are all getting ready to pose for a family photo and they start fighting. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

"Soap" was, and still is (on Nick at Night) the fastest half hour in television history. That just would seem to just start and the next thing you know, the thirty minutes are up. Really weird. Time flies when you're having fun.

And ...I was trying to remember, was that "Benson" playing the Butler? I loved how it had a unique intro narration for every episode....."Would Bert make it back from the Space Ship?? Would Jessica make it back out of the coat closet??" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Great stuff, and the only TV show I know of that had Billy Crystal as a regular.

I recall a possesed baby arc as well, I can't believe I am using the word arc in reference to Soap, hah. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the Nick at night tip, I'm goona see if I can track it down to get a bit of an archive. I was doing the same for Family Ties till they screwed with the hours and I lost track of it. Thank goodness for cable variety, it gives hope of resurecting good yet forgotten TV shows....

Great stuff, and the only TV show I know of that had Billy Crystal as a regular.

[/quote]

He was also on Saturday Night Live.

Then he got immensely rich, IIRC. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I didn't realize that Soap was still on. I knew there was a reason I signed up for a package that included Nick at Nite. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was a terrific show.

Yes, there was an "Exocisct" parody in there. And yes, it is the show that put Billy Crystal on the map. (As American TV's first gay regular in a sitcom, and possibly on television in general.) He was later a regular on Saturday Night Live, but that was long after I stopped watching the show. (Which I think was sometime in 1979. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

The wonderful Robert Guillame played Beson, the Tate's butler. He played the same character on Benson, playing the butler to a slightly addled governor. Eventually he rose to be chief of staff, if memory serves. The show wasn't as good as Soap, but it was worth watching for its star.

Regards,

Joe

Billy deserved every cent he earned. Don't get me wrong on that count. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I think IMnot so HO he might be the funniest man on earth that does NOT offend many people.

Why do you think he's so good with the Oscars? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Robert Guillame, on the other hand, I think is at least equally funny, but not as appreciated.

Damned entertainment industry. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But, in fairness, it's an industry that tends to be not-so-fair.

He made that show, and IMHO SOAP started slipping after he left it. Just my opinion here.

Anyhow, I'm glad I'm not the only one around here who remembers just what brilliant comedians were on that show. It takes both great writers and great comedic actors to pull this kind of a show off.

And I fear I'll never see it's like again. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Goddess, I am getting depressing these days. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

And while we are on the subject of "SOAP":

Jessica was wonderful. I remember George Burns writing about his wife, Gracie Allen's, difficulty in going from radio to television.

Gracie Allen's lines were so nonsensical, they were very difficult to memorize. George Burns always pointed this out to people. He himself said her part was much harder than his, for this reason.

That's what "Jessica" had to face, maybe to a smaller scale.

Anyhow, yea, I loved that show. And I know why I don't watch so much t.v. anymore.

You young ones: check out these older series. Some of them, LIKE SOAP, are positively brilliant. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

There is NOTHING like SOAP anymore I am sorry to say, except perhaps a few odd ones like Firefly and such, but nothing really like it anymore. And I LOVED the Benson series, I can always recall the episode where the Grim Reaper shows up to take cover from a storm, and every time someone says the name "G. Reaper" a dog howls.... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.....it cracks me up EVERY single time.

And then at the end when he plays trivial pursuit with G. Reaper, Benson stumps him on the movie Deathwish, and G. Reaper disappears saying the words ....."Charles...Bronson???????"

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And also the bit where Reaper says "On the show Green Acres, with Eddie Albert and Zsa Zsa Gabor,.........what ...was ...the name ....of THE PIG????"

"ARNOLD!!! ARNOLD was the name of the pig.....ARNOLD ZIFFLE..where did that come from???"

Benson was a very clever series too, relied a bit too much on a weak supporting cast, and Benson's always picking on Gretchen. And I freaked when I saw.....was the character's name Clayton?? on Deep Space 9 when it first came out, just freaky comparison. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, I think it was Clayton. Very different from Odo, wouldn't you say? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Let's face it, that's why they call it "acting", eh? The only way I can tell it's the same guy is the voice, that's for sure. He played a very stereotypical "pseudo-bad" guy in Benson.

There was much more character development in DS9. I loved the episode when he was stuck with Luaxana (?) Troy, and to show him she could be vulnerable too, she took off her wig.

Well, actually, I loved a lot of the stories Odo was part of. Benson was fun, and it did have some clever lines, though.

I just seem to have lost my taste for sit-coms these days. Maybe I'm getting old. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Well, either that, or the writers are turning crappy. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

"Gideon, "Pluto once said that for everything that exists, there is a perfect form of it somewhere. A perfect human being, a perfect chair, a perfect stick, so that everything is a shadow of that one perfect form. Now, if we follow that train of thought, that means that somewhere in the universe there exists the perfect form of the perfect absolute and complete idiot...." and that is the TNT executives - and the Sierria ones as well come to think of it "

Just wanted to point out that this means that somewhere out there also exists the perfect Crusade. All 5 seasons, exactly as JMS intended, entirely intact. Perfect. As well as a version of B5 in which Claudia Christian did not bail after S4. Just a thought on my part. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back