• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

About the music

In Tadream they had this interesting discussion... here are the best bits.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The heand-weapon of choice on Babylon 5 was the PPG.
Chris Franke (who composed the music to B5) probably played a PPG many times in his days with TD.
I wonder if he had anything to do with naming the weapon? Perhaps the sound effect used for it was created by a PPG?

James
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
>*Errrr This may be complete BS (and I don't mean Berlin School) but someone just told my that Chris farmed out the soundtrack work for B5... that he didn't really do it himself... and that one of the people who submitted music was Haslinger.... anyone else heard this? Not to perpetuate any rumors, but have you heard Planetary Traveler? Seriously, though -- Franke has been credited a couple of times on some
of Haslinger's albums, so I'm sure there's been some mutual cooperation on each others' works.

- jim

quote:
To help clear up some things here:
1) The only way to hear the original score that Copeland did for Bab 5 is if you taped it when it premiered or if you have the Japanese LD issued *waaaaaay* back in '94.

2) Yes, Haslinger *did* help out Franke on Bab 5 from time to time, even getting some of his own tunes from _World Without Rules_ on a couple of eps. I'm not going to go through my tapes of the show right now to find the specific eps, but they were 3rd season, IIRC.

goozer

Just in case if you are wondering, Paul Haslinger joined Tangerine Dream just couple of years before Franke decided to start a new career as a solo artist.
Franke has also done some compositions with Haslinger, so the B5-thing could be true.

Regards,
TheInfection

Yeah, the first time I saw Planetary Traveller, I thought "Man, that music has a B5-ish sound."

Chris Franke does have a credit on the PT soundtrack for additional choral and percussion arrangements. Haslinger also thanks Chris by name for "his help and advice."

I'm not sure I buy the whole "Chris farmed it out" line, but it's plausable Paul helped him out from time to time.

If anyone really likes B5 music, Planetary Traveller is worth a listen. I know you can get it from Third Planet Entertainment.

http://www.thirdplanet-inc.com/

I love Franke's B5 music. I haven't heard any of his other stuff, like when he was with Tangerine Dream, but I really like the stuff he does for B5. I have like 13 B5 CD's /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RW7427:
<font color=yellow>I love Franke's B5 music. I haven't heard any of his other stuff, like when he was with Tangerine Dream, but I really like the stuff he does for B5. I have like 13 B5 CD's /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Ever see the movie Risky Business ?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tigara:
<font color=yellow>HE WAS IN TANGERINE DREAM?!?!?! That group freaks me out!! </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Why? I like the music they did. Spacey stuff. And if some of you buy TD albums for the first time, don't expect it to be like B5. There are similarities here and there, but the general texture is different.

For the records, I own about 30 TD albums and couple from Chris so if you want to try TD, please feel free to ask if you have any concerns about some album.

Regards,
TheInfection

The first TD song I ever heard was whne I was ten. It was at midnight and throughout the song there were wolf howls. I was emotionally scarred.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tigara:
<font color=yellow>The first TD song I ever heard was whne I was ten. It was at midnight and throughout the song there were wolf howls. I was emotionally scarred. </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Aah, the famous Thru Metamorphic Rocks. After the guitar solo comes the endless loop. It grows. More sounds jumps in and strange howling and screams can be heard. Aaahhhh....
What can I say? I'm a fan. :)

The loop or sequence (which ever you want to call it) was born when Chris' synth malfuntioned and they made the music on top of the sequnce. Wonderful stuff.

Regards,
TheInfection

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back