• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A new theory on the uniform disscusion

Thrawn

Regular
So thats what happened to the uniforms on Crusade, appearently the crew held a Minbari rebirth cerimony
shocked.gif
and the cameras weren't rolling to catch it!

Damn TNT!
mad.gif

------------------
THRAWN
Ardent follower of B5 and SW.

"Kill 'em all, Let Valen sort them out."
-Random B5 bumper sticker

"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
-George Carlin

That's actually not a bad explanation, but who was the Minbari that held the ceremony, and for what reason?

If they were to go from grey to black to grey again, that would still be kinda confusing, since the guy who came up with the uniform apparently, by his reactions, just made it, and did not decide to revert back to the old ones.

Blah. I'm beginning to babble on again. (overly-used and sickening pun definitely intended)

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

Most militaries don't use just a single uniform anyway. The US Navy alone has 3, plus variants.

les

------------------

the uniforms weren't supposed to go from grey to black to grey, they were supposed to be grey. TNT changed 'em to black, then, when the episodes were shown on sci-fi in the proper order, there was changing back and forth going on.

------------------
"Expect me, when you see me."

But wouldn't it have been easier to shoot the prequel episodes with the grey uniforms and then switch to the black ones? Rather than having all that nonsense about boosting morale for five episodes and then a laundry accident?
Or did TNT insist that the uniforms were changed immediately? Idiots
mad.gif

------------------

The way I understood it, TNT wanted changes, but in order to "encourage" this, they upgraded the Crusade budget. This is when the black uniforms were brought in. The grey uniforms were to be dumped later in the season, probably Gideon making a conscious decision to run the mission his way and not be controlled by what he regarded as bureaucratic red tape nonsense.

The black ones were better anyway. One thing I don't understand is why they didn't use Earthforce uniforms for the Explorer class vessel's crew.

------------------
"We Live for the One. We die for the One!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Galahad:
The black ones were better anyway. One thing I don't understand is why they didn't use Earthforce uniforms for the Explorer class vessel's crew.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The black ones were designed as worksuits? That much was implied in "Appearances and Other Deceits."

Also, Explorer-class ships have to function on their own with little or no support for long periods of time. Those kind of situations can lead to each crew creating their own subculture, the way depts in the same company have totally different dress codes.

------------------
Joe Medina (neargrai@aol.com)

"...that which are, we are"

After TNT changed the uniforms the story would have been this:

You start out with the black uniforms, then in Apperances they would get the grey ones. After that they would show all of the original eps. that used the grey ones. Then in To the Ends of the Earth (an unproduced script) Gidion had all of the grey uniforms desposed of and a letter written to earth saying that there was a horrible laundry accident and they were all destroyed.

Hope that cleared things up.

------------------
Faith Manages

[This message has been edited by coldsoup753 (edited June 02, 2001).]

The episode where the Designer of the new episodes is the featured guest star makes it pretty clear what JMS thought of the idea. After all, he did make that character a Total Idiot.
shocked.gif

He even used him to point out the solution in the problem to underline it. What's that old quote?

"Even the stupidest person ever born has one time in his life when he is right. The trick is recognizing that moment when it occurs, because it will never happen again."
cool.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coldsoup753:
After TNT changed the uniforms the story would have been this:

You start out with the black uniforms, then in Apperances they would get the grey ones. After that they would show all of the original eps. that used the grey ones. Then in To the Ends of the Earth (an unproduced script) Gidion had all of the grey uniforms desposed of and a letter written to earth saying that there was a horrible laundry accident and they were all destroyed.

Hope that cleared things up.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That just made my day...

------------------
"So where does the power come from to see the race to its end? It comes from within."

I vote for the Black uniforms. They are much sexier. Although Gary's tush looks wonderful in those grey pants.

I just want them in what they are comfortable in. I loved Delenn's outfits. Come to think of it, that is one of my favorite B5 episodes. The other one aired last night. The continuation tonight, I will have a good weekend.

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine
(he just doesn't know it yet, LOL)

I completely agree with you, Colleen. *S* I think black is a much better color on anybody.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thrawn:

So thats what happened to the uniforms on Crusade, appearently the crew held a Minbari rebirth cerimony
shocked.gif
and the cameras weren't rolling to catch it!

Damn TNT!
mad.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Noo! It was actually the vorlons! Damn trickery of the mind! They only made us think we saw the costumes change when in fact they were really messing with our dna to turn us into telepaths.

------------------
This is Vir Cotto. This user name is only temporary until I get back home next week.

The Vorlons?

A pox on thier infernal genetic chicanery!!!
mad.gif

------------------
THRAWN
Official ambasador
to Babylon 5 from The People's Republic of Haven.

"Kill 'em all, Let Valen sort them out."
-Random B5 bumper sticker

"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
-George Carlin

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MFAOJ:

Noo! It was actually the vorlons! Damn trickery of the mind! They only made us think we saw the costumes change when in fact they were really messing with our dna to turn us into telepaths.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Works for me. Mmmmmmmmmmm what will the Vorlons think of next?

shocked.gif

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thrawn:
The Vorlons?

A pox on thier infernal genetic chicanery!!!
mad.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thrawn sweetie, that face just makes my day. Growwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwl

------------------
Colleen L. Stanford
Gideon's Mine, all Mine

The black uniforms were the one good TNT suggestion. Of course they manage to screw even that up when the insisted the new uniforms be used in all episodes filmed from than on, including eps that occur earlier in the timeline, hence JMS came up with the laundry accident.

------------------
Bus
"The electric yellow has got me by the brain banana."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> uniforms were the one good TNT suggestion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they weren't. It was an example of screwing around "because I can" on the part of some pointy haired MBA.

The colors of Everything, Including the uniforms, was planned by JMS and his team to set the Mood of the show. Changing the color of the uniforms messed with this plan.

Of course, the TNT birdbrain didn't care WHY the uniforms were any particular color. That sort of mind is concerned only with asserting his Authority.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Of course, the black uniforms are better. Let's face it; black is jms's favorite color!

Look at the evidence. Look at all the different groups or people who used black uniforms ...

Psi Cops
Rangers
Technomages
Minbari Warrior Caste
Byron's telepaths
Babylon 5's command crew:
Sheridan
Ivanova
Garibaldi
Franklin
Zack Allen
Londo Mollari (hated that purple coat anyway)
The Shadows (well, DUH)

But you know something? I don't mind, because black's my favorite color, too. And at least the uniforms in B5 and Crusade looked like CLOTHES. In the Star Trek shows, they never looked like anything but PAJAMAS to me!

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back