• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A new JMS message and hint 4/29

Wow! I am so excited right now!

Can you imagine seeing a Babylon 5 movie in the CINEMA!!?? A couple of hours of B5 on the big screen with popcorn and all is enough to make any B5 fan cry tears of joy.

I can't wait until we have more details. B5:TMoS is the best acronym I've heard in a long, long time...

Roll on mid-May! Cannes, maybe?

Yes B5 is better than 99.99% of Science Fiction out there. We can Prove it ( show off the DVDS to your mates ).
Indeed, it would be interesting to find out what percentage of DVDs have been sold via word of mouth or demonstration to non-fans since they started out. I have "sold" three sets just by making people sit down and watch a selected set of eps (the main arc ones) from season 1. Hell, the final five minutes of TCoS was enough for two of the three.

What season 1 episode is TCoS?

What season 1 episode is TCoS?
Sorry, brainfart. I meant "the coming of the shadows" in Signs and Portents. That is JUST such a cool, and totally unexpected, scene. A true "What the F**K is THAT?" scene.

This has been a very emotional B5 day for me. First this afternoon I finally get my season 5 set. I then begin by watching Sleeping In Light with the JMS commentary.

It was a very moving experience and then I log on to this website and read the news about JMS all but confirming a B5 theatrical movie.

I will probably encounter a Vorlon before midnight the way this day has been going. :)

Okay, why does 2:35:1 refer to a feature film? I'm not up on all the TV & film tech stuff. I'm sure that Joe De Martino, the Man Who Knows All, will have an answer! :D

As for JMS' latest message, I am very happy to hear this. It has been a bad period for SF fans. It's nice to hear some good news for once. I just hope that a theater near my upcoming new home in Arizona will play the B5 film. I only know of 2 theaters in the area--one in Kingman, AZ., & one in Laughlin, NV. It's going to be weird moving from a big city (San Diego) to a place like Kingman, but it's become too expensive to live in San Diego. Oh, well...

Tammy

Okay, why does 2:35:1 refer to a feature film? I'm not up on all the TV & film tech stuff. I'm sure that Joe De Martino, the Man Who Knows All, will have an answer! :D

As for JMS' latest message, I am very happy to hear this. It has been a bad period for SF fans. It's nice to hear some good news for once. I just hope that a theater near my upcoming new home in Arizona will play the B5 film. I only know of 2 theaters in the area--one in Kingman, AZ., & one in Laughlin, NV. It's going to be weird moving from a big city (San Diego) to a place like Kingman, but it's become too expensive to live in San Diego. Oh, well...

Tammy

I think 2.35 to 1 is the dimension ratio of the screen. I'm not sure, though.

And welcome to Arizona! I hail from a small town right by the border with Mexico. I live within an hour's drive of a good theater complex. Well, decent enough theater complex. And I live in the boonies. :)

Like he'll be able to answer any of the interesting ones. :rolleyes:

The only question I can think of he might be able to answer is "How is Buddy doing"? :D

I think 2.35 to 1 is the dimension ratio of the screen. I'm not sure, though.

Exactly. 2.35 (w) to 1 (h) is what is known as an "aspect ratio" and represents the widest film ratio in common use today. (In the experimental early days of widescreen film you had films like Ben Hur with aspect ratios of up to 2.70:1)

For comparison, most pre-1950 sound films used the 1.37:1 "Academy Ratio", When TV was developed 1.33:1 was the closest screen ratio to the Academy frame that the constraints of electronic displays allowed, and that became the standard "TV ratio". (1.33:1 can also be expressed as 4:3) Widescreen TV sets are 16:9 (AKA 1.77:1), and that is therefore the ratio of widescreen HD TV broadcasts and widescreen TV fare like B5 and CSI. Most feature comedies and "small" theatrical dramas are projected at 1.85:1, while "big" films (think Star Wars, Titanic, The Godfather) use the wider 2.35:1 frame. It is not an aspect ratio used for any but the most theatrical of theatrical films, so JMS using that number to describe the hole his head would make in a wall can't be anything other than a statement that the new project is a theatrical release.

Regards,

Joe

This is fantastic... I was just thinking that now that the LOTR movies were over, I had nothing to look forward to. Now I can look forward to counting down the time towards the next big event!!!

B5 on the big screen? - YEAH BABY!!!!

Hi EVERYBODY,

:D :D :DI am SOOOOOOOO excited about this INCREDIBLE news, that it is really hard to express my emotions thru a keyboard.

First of all, I think we should CONGRATULATE EACH OTHER. We deserve. We are part of this for sure. All of us that exchange message in this board and other B5´s boards, contributed to turn into reality something that JMS and OURSELVES have been looking for.

Thanks for you that purchase all the five box sets. For sure we call Warner Bros.´s attention. Special CONGRATULATIONS to Joe De Martino, he was one of those who insisted to launch B5 in DVD. Now they (WB) have the expressive sales. Now they believe that B5 is our "best hope".

The One: You mentioned that you will sit down in a theater having pop corns to watch B5:TMos in the big screen......Let me tell you....... I will not buy any pop corn, or beverage, or anything, I will be so concentrated in watching B5:TMoS that I will barely breath.

Some people recommended to spread out this good news and invite newbies to watch B5. I will do my contribution. At least my father, mother, sister and her husband will watch.

Take care all of you, and once again......

YOU GUYS DID A GREAT JOB!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: ;)

Regards,

CADU
ZaHaDum

If I had to guess what the "Stage 2" deal-making that JMS refers to is, I'd say it's lining up all the actors, so they can announce the deal with the cast assembled. Anyone agree/disagree?

If I had to guess what the "Stage 2" deal-making that JMS refers to is, I'd say it's lining up all the actors, so they can announce the deal with the cast assembled. Anyone agree/disagree?
The actors are the easy part. There are also the cameramen, sound engineers, the sound stage, permission to film from the location's landowners, props, catering, transport, publicity and anyone else who gets a mention in the credits.

I really worry about a Feature Film.

I am concerned because they would have to be VERY careful to make it so the non-current B5 fan would want to see it.

I would like it, just to see Garibaldi, etc. but it better have a really good story.

Still, I am excited!

Loburian

Exactly. 2.35 (w) to 1 (h) is what is known as an "aspect ratio" and represents the widest film ratio in common use today.

I believe the LOTR films used an aspect ratio of 2.40:1 but yes 2.35:1 is much more common in epic feature films.

I believe the LoTR films used an aspect ratio of 2.40:1 but yes 2.35:1 is much more common in epic feature films.

"2.35:1" and "2.40:1" refer to the same aspect ratio. The exposed frame and the projected image rarely match exactly, because the projected imaged is generally matted in the projector to cover frame lines and the like. I don't pretend to understand the technical details myself, but film restorationist Robert Harris (My Fair Lady, Spartacus) has assured me that this is the case and I believe him. :) See The Widescreen Advocacy Page for more detailed information on film formats and aspect ratios.

So yes, the proposed B5 film would be exactly the same AR as LoTR, 2001, Star Wars, etc. - wider than, say, Young Frankenstein or Airplane!.

Regards,

Joe

Back