• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Who looms large in scif and fantasy,in movies, televsion and literature.

I would love to see Miyazaki who did Spirited Away and Howls moving Castle do City and Way Station and All Flesh is Grass. All three books would make great Anime features. He would do an incredible job.

Last edited:
Wow, read through the whole thing, and no mention of Stanislaw Lem!!!:devil: "The Cyberiad" is one of the funniest books I've ever read. His more serious books are great as well.

Isaaac Asimov is my first, favorite writer, mostly because he was a genuinely good person. And he wrote good stories: "The Ugly Little Boy" comes to mind, as does "Nightfall" and "The Foundation" series and the positronic brain/robot stories. I remember watching a morning "news" show during a full eclipse with Isaac and some preacher. The preacher went on and on how it was a "miracle". At which point Isaac politely interjected, that the "miracle" would be if it didn't happen.:devil:

AE VanVogt got one mention earlier: here's another.:LOL: And to add a few other "new" names:

Mary Shelley. . . "Frankenstein", need I say more?:p

Ian Flemming . . ."Bond, James Bond" which I include due to the proliferation of "future-istic" gadgets.

And since Fantasy is mentioned in the title...

J K Rowlings. Harry who?:LOL:

You might try The Purple Cloud by M.P Shiel end of the world novel and quite good, a classic actually written 1901.

Last edited:
Cordwainer Smith created the Intrumentality Universe, real name Dr Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger, he is one of the greatest science fiction writers of all time but he's one of the least known. He gave us a collection of incredible stories called The Rediscovery of Man and a novel Norstrillia. His most famous single story is Scanners Live in Vain. another is The Crime and the Glory of Commander Suzdal. He's another writer that I would not have missed for the world.

Last edited:
Terry Nation could be considered a man who loomed large in science fiction, He created Dr Who, Blake Seven, Macgyver and others. He also gave us one of the most memorable Villains of all time the Daleks. :devil::bolian::borg:

Last edited:
Jose Phillip Farmer a really big name in science fiction. His Riverworld series classic.
Alex Proyas did a very good Adaptation of book one To Your Scattered Bodies Go. The there is is his world of Tiers series, The Other Log of Phineas Phogg, Dayworld. ect.
He also Wrote Avery Good Doc Savage novel Called The Fortress of Loki, its about Doc Savage as a young man. He did homages to the Doc Savage character with his Doc Caliban character.:cool:

Michael Moorcock. was very influential in the the scif and fantasy circuit, He gave us one of the greatest fantasy creations of all time, the eternal champion and all of his heric incarnations. There was Elric, Corum,Dorian Hawkmoon, Jerek Carnellian, and poor doomed Erekose/John Daker who was doomed to know that he is all these other heroes. The Champion is forever doomed to maintain the Balace betweeen Law and Chaos. Each incarnation armed with an incarnation of the Demonic Black sword. A blade known by many names from Stormbringer to Mornblade and the worst incarnation of all The Cold sword, this blade is called the drinker of souls. But sometimes the Champion may have The Ruinstaff which is the counter part and opposite to the Black Sword. it is like onto the Spear of Destiny, He who possesses it in battle can influence the outcome in his favor. Sometimes the incarnations of the Heros meet when the multivrse has need of them. At the center of the Multi verse is the city of Tanlorn, the one place whre the champion can find any rest. The villians, Gaynor the Damed a former champion foreve doomed to serve chaos, for treachery, Lord Arioch a lord of chaos and sometimes patron to Elric,brother and sister lords Queen Xiombarg and King Mabeload. And manymore.:cool:

Have you read any Lovecraft, how is he? I have heard good things about him, but then I am also put off by the whole Scientology spin. I have a copy of the Necromicon, but I have never gotten around to reading it.

Lovecraft is great, give it a try. A massive influence on fantasy and sci-fi of all strains, from Event Horizon to Dungeons and Dragons. Not sure about the whole Scientology angle, that was Hubbard ... although he probably ripped off Lovecraft.

Lovecraft did have far right leanings, but so did Howard, another creative powerhouse. Like the work, not the man, thats' what I say.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back