• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

WB cancels Angel

Glacophane

Regular
Well it's now official, the WB announced today that Angel will not return next year. They made this announcement early to give the people involved with the show plenty of time to wrap up the series as they saw fit. The WB mentioned that they might do future WB movies of Angel on the network.

I dont know about most, but I am a little saddened by this. After the dismal ending of last year's Buffy, I was looking forward to more of Angel and co.

I just read about this a few minutes ago. I'm not all that surprised, honestly. The current season has felt pretty weak to me as a whole, which isn't the show's producer's fault really considering the network instructed them to seriously increase the number of stand-alone episodes and decrease the size of the seasonal arc. This news does make me wish they had left Spike dead at the end of Buffy so his death there actually had some weight.

Bloody hell! I'm going to do an article on "chances of renewal" and I was goin to give Angel a semi-good rating... sort of like 70. Oops!

From what I understand, the only reason Angel made it to this season was because of Spike. If it hadnt been for that, the show might have been cancelled earlier. I think the network wanted someone from Buffy to take on a role on Angel in hopes of better ratings.

Glacophone,

Yes, I definitely agree. I actually think Sarah Michelle Gellar was the key.. and with her saying no, it's kind of gave the WB execs very little hope for the future.

Well, at least they aren't axing the show right now. This gives Joss and Co. half a chance to bring things to a decent conclusion (and I've heard rumors that SMG will put in an appearance for the last ep).

I'm not really that disappointed. I like both shows, but there is an end to all things. I hear Buffy went out with a mostly satisfactory bang, so we can cross our fingers and hope for a decent resolution.

Bringing Spike back was a bit cheap, but then it happens all the time in that universe. If the dead stayed dead, then there'd be no point to the show.

Well, at least they aren't axing the show right now. This gives Joss and Co. half a chance to bring things to a decent conclusion (and I've heard rumors that SMG will put in an appearance for the last ep).

It'd be nice to see her maybe... but that's all it is, a rumor right now. It was only yesterday that the WB told the cast. So for for Joss to contact SMG, her to suddenly say yes all of a sudden, then for the news to "leak"... well, it isn't going to happen!

I'm not really that disappointed. I like both shows, but there is an end to all things. I hear Buffy went out with a mostly satisfactory bang, so we can cross our fingers and hope for a decent resolution

Buffy went out with a whimper in my mind. The last two years, particularly the seventh season, were well below par.

I'm not really that disappointed. I like both shows, but there is an end to all things. I hear Buffy went out with a mostly satisfactory bang, so we can cross our fingers and hope for a decent resolution.

Ratings were actually up this season though. I'll admit that this season hasn't gotten me as interested as past seasons, but I still enjoyed it.

I heard the SMG rumor weeks ago, unconnected to the present announcement, from someone who actually follows Angel in the present (I'm still trying to see the rest of Season One), but I've heard no more about it than that.

I dunno about Buffy going out weakly. I haven't seen much after S4, but I did see the musical episode, and my best friend assures me that the S6 finale is awesome, and the S7 plot arc seemed good to me. So I'll reserve judgement... and besides, it's Buffy! How bad could it be?

The thing about the last season of Buffy was there was that it didn't follow coherent plot logic. They would wander around confused until Buffy had an epiphany(based on nothing we'd seen leading up to it) and somehow she'd be right. At some points she would be right despite contradicting other characters who actually seemed to be basing their opinions on a bit of logic. Various parts of the show simply elicited a wtf from many that last season.

The year before that the good episodes at the end were offset by a direct, one to one, magic=drugs metaphor. A lot of people didn't like the human villians of most of the season but I can see how hard it would be to top a god as your enemy(as shown by the dissembodied boogey man of the last season).

I used to enjoy both Buffy and Angel as pieces of inconsequential TV "fluff", although my better half is/was well into both shows.

However, I lost interest toally when it became clear that the death of a major character was generally a plot device leading to their "dramatic" return. I can accept that happening once (e.g. Sheridan) ... but multiple times (e.g. Buffy (twice), Angel and then Spike) no thanks.

[and I wish to place on record that my wife is totally wrong to say that my interest actually waned on both shows when Charisma Carpenter left ... well, maybe not totally :D]

The whole dramatic return thing could have been overplayed a bit, but at least Buffy's second revival carried serious consequences. Moreover, that whole universe is predicated on the dead rising, in the form of vampires. So it really doesn't bother me much.

I heartily disagree with the person who stated that ANGEL's S5 has been weak. Aside from two or three episodes that disappointed me, I have been impressed by Season 5.

What is ridiculous about the WB's action is that ANGEL's rating have improved since last year.

Bringing Spike back was a bit cheap,

And I suppose bringing Buffy or should I say . . . John J. Sheridan back from the dead wasn't?

The thing about the last season of Buffy was there was that it didn't follow coherent plot logic. They would wander around confused until Buffy had an epiphany(based on nothing we'd seen leading up to it) and somehow she'd be right. At some points she would be right despite contradicting other characters who actually seemed to be basing their opinions on a bit of logic. Various parts of the show simply elicited a wtf from many that last season.

Or maybe you're just one of those who preferred if Buffy had remained in high school, with a Watcher looking over her throughout the entire series.

What is ridiculous about the WB's action is that ANGEL's rating have improved since last year.

Indeed, that's true. But its retention of Smallville's audience isn't good.

That is just silly. All I wanted is for her reasoning to have a bit of actual reason. None of the decisions were based on what happened to the characters within the same episode. A show can evolve while having the characters basing their decision on what happens to them within the show.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back