• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

various from jms - Monday, June 14, 2004 8:26 AM

Re: various from jms - Monday, June 14, 2004 8:26

Joss Whedon? Are you sure you're not thinking of Chris Carter
That was what I was thinking of. Thanks for the correction. Like I said, its been years.

Joss Whedon? Are you sure you're not thinking of Chris Carter
That was what I was thinking of. Thanks for the correction. Like I said, its been years.

Chris Carter and JMS were on the verge of making a deal to do World on Fire, which was based on a concept by JMS, at the Fox Studio for CBS. Another series the Carter had developed, but not originated, was cancelled just before they went to final contract and either Fox or CBS panicked, thinking the show's problem was that it wasn't "100% Chris Carter". (Carter walked on water in those days, thanks to X-Files)

Anyway, Worlds on Fire was overtaken by real life on September 11th 2001, and is now a dead letter.

JMS's reference to a "network series" in the context of his message means - believe me - an American broadcast network. And may even specifically mean ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox since the "netlets" UPN and The WB are treated as cable channels for purposes on union contracts. So all guesses involving the BBC and first run cable are almost certainly wide of the mark.

Regards,

Joe

First of all, allow me to address and respond on a couple of little things :D (The RPG is loaded and ready, Joe. :eek: :p)

Several people disagreed with my comments about the FX house. Why do you assume my reply was directed only to you?

Because, our sparing is absolute wild and spectacular entertainment for these folks! We can't let our audience down, Joe....come on. :D :LOL:

(A comment not directed at CE, who has been fairly level-headed about this sort of thing and has himself swung Occam's razor when the speculative underbrush has gotten a bit thick.)

OMG! :eek: A compliment.....< THUD! > *sound of CE hitting the floor as he faints* :D

What? AGAIN? Do you have any idea what bullets cost nowadays? Even spread across the membership of two bulletin boards that's too muich. Forget it. We'll just call the NBS.

Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham! WHAM!

Once again..can no one recognize tongue-in-cheek? :rolleyes: You know, Joe, that's why I brought the RPG. :D

And don't make me invert a tachyon on you. ;)

And yes, I am sometimes a bit provoked by some of the more over-the-top speculation and the tendency of people to not carefully read posts or keep track of a conversation so that they're still guessing titles long after the title has been revealed or asking if it will be a mini-series two months after it became clear it will be a film. (Particularly when these things are discussed further up in the same thread, and aren't buried in some obscure old post somewhere.)

Wait a minute...we're supposed to read what other people are saying? :rolleyes: Geesh...that's too much work . :rolleyes: ;)

And I still think a mini-series is at the least a possibility for this what this new "adjunct project" could be. :D Now what it might be about? That's a tooootally different story.

Also assuming that all of JMS's posts are connected and that none of them simply "expire" when overtaken by events. His little joke about Harry and Jack and the wrong side of the river is no doubt long since moot. I don't think his latest comments about Australia and England have the faintest connection to them - and I don't think most of you would either if some of you weren't so close to the problem that fumes from your monitors are reducing the blood-flow to your brains.

Hunh? ......Wha?.....Do you smell something? Why...I'm feeeeelllliiingggg aaa littttllleee liiigght heeeaaadeeed.
:( :LOL:

JMS's reference to a "network series" in the context of his message means - believe me - an American broadcast network. And may even specifically mean ABC, NBC, CBS or Fox since the "netlets" UPN and The WB are treated as cable channels for purposes on union contracts. So all guesses involving the BBC and first run cable are almost certainly wide of the mark.

Ok, on with the fun....enough playing for one moment.
:p

Joe, even cable networks are still "networks." I'm not saying it isn't one of the broadcast nets...(please, god not FOX, we all know how they "support" shows...especially SF :rolleyes:)...but it could be one of the cable nets as well. I do agree with you that it's very likely not a BBC series or anything like that, though.

As for the novels...yes, it would be fab if at least one series of novels dealt with the last Shadow War and Valen, but whoever said the future of B5 is where the films and series lay...is right.

As for where the film will shoot...it will most likely shoot in Canada or Australia, simply because they will want to keep the cost down as much as possible on production in order to have more money for the FX. This is a common and understandable practice. Which is why Hollywood is not so happy these days with loosing so many productions...it's just getting so expensive to shoot there. Every production will go where it's cheaper or where the script requires (in cases of location shooting). With so many features that need larger sets and more room shooting in Australia now (because the largest sound stage in the world is there), I really wouldn't be surprised if that's where they'll shoot the bulk of TMoS (consider that Matrix and parts of LOTR and SW and Moulin Rouge were all shot there).

My other guess is that they will probably approach WETA Digital for the main FX, which will (as Joe suggested is easier and can work out well, but is not required) put the FX house closer to the production. My guess is WETA because JMS has become impressed with them, and WB has now used them for two of their major trilogies, LOTR and MATRIX. WB seems to have a nice relationship with WETA these days, so they could decide to use them again.

As for JMS going to London...it clearly isn't something he's talking about happening in the very near future. Since he said he wanted to put his play on in LA (a time consuming thing), then do some tweeking (more time), then put it on in London. Read into this that at the soonest, he's expecting to spend this time in London at least a year or two from now. I would suspect more like 2 years given all that's on his plate at the moment. This would be around the time they would be scoring TMoS, which is what made me think that Franke's score and the orchestra they would most likely use could be why JMS would need to be in London. I agree with Joe, that from the way JMS said it...he's not expecting to spend a very long amount of time there.

Now, just to suppose that the DVDs aren't what JMS meant by the "look to the horizon" comment for the UK and Australia (though I still think this is at least a part of what he meant), then one can conclude that between shooting in Australia and scoring in London, that JMS meant that he was in fact going to be in each of those countries...so "look to the horizon."

As to where they are now in production...they will have a plan already as to where they will shoot, who is scoring, who is cast, who is DP, etc. The next stage is finilizing production designs and so forth and set construction.

My estimate for when they will begin principle photography would be late this year/beginning of 2005 -- if JMS gets the rewrites finished and things get back on schedule.

Release will be in 2006, whether summer or Christmas I couldn't say. I would predict a summer release though. This means they have two years to finish this film....a very reasonable time frame.

Anyway...one last thing...please don't think that Joe and I are fighting like we did when I first come on board here. Though we sometimes disagree still, Joe and I have made our peace, and I don't think either of us want our disagreements to polarize the groups or cause contention as they did a few months ago.

So if you see us sparing...please realize it's friendly jabs and jovial disagreement...not flaming and attack. :D

Peace,
CE

First of all, allow me to address and respond on a couple of little things (The RPG is loaded and ready, Joe. )

Shouldn't that be a PPG? Or have you all gone and invented some new weapon specific to this forum? ;)

Aisling

First of all, allow me to address and respond on a couple of little things (The RPG is loaded and ready, Joe. )

Shouldn't that be a PPG? Or have you all gone and invented some new weapon specific to this forum? ;)

Aisling

I was referring to an RPG (rocket propelled grenade). A PPG just doesn't pack that nice whalop I'm looking for. :D

Aisling

I was referring to an RPG (rocket propelled grenade). A PPG just doesn't pack that nice whalop I'm looking for. :D

And here I thought it was Role Playing Gun ;)

Chris Carter and JMS were on the verge of making a deal to do World on Fire, which was based on a concept by JMS, at the Fox Studio for CBS. Another series the Carter had developed, but not originated, was cancelled just before they went to final contract and either Fox or CBS panicked, thinking the show's problem was that it wasn't "100% Chris Carter". (Carter walked on water in those days, thanks to X-Files)

Anyway, Worlds on Fire was overtaken by real life on September 11th 2001, and is now a dead letter.

Ah yes. Didn't JMS comment on how eerily actual events mimicked his ideas for that show? Combined with all the incidents involving JMS's capacity to predict/inflict, I think I will stand with Mira and point the accusing finger:

"Witch!"

"She turned me into a newt.

(pause)

I got better."

:)

Actually I'm thinking of recasting some of JMS's more Vorlonish pronouncements into metered quatrains and trying to sell them as generic prophecies. "Nostraczynski" as it were. :)

Regards,

Joe

And I still think a mini-series is at the least a possibility for this what this new "adjunct project" could be.

Here's the problem with that. JMS said:

One oddity...constant readers will remember a while back when I was asked what TMoS was, and I provided a list of things it *wasn't*. The aforementioned oddity is...one of those things has come up as an adjunct to TMoS.

So the adjunct project has to be something that JMS said TMoS *wasn't*. When did JMS say that TMoS wasn't a miniseries?

I was referring to an RPG (rocket propelled grenade). A PPG just doesn't pack that nice whalop I'm looking for.

Yeah, but won't an RPG blow a hole in the message board? With a PPG, you'll just hurt him real bad... ;)

Aisling

And I still think a mini-series is at the least a possibility for this what this new "adjunct project" could be.

Here's the problem with that. JMS said:

One oddity...constant readers will remember a while back when I was asked what TMoS was, and I provided a list of things it *wasn't*. The aforementioned oddity is...one of those things has come up as an adjunct to TMoS.

So the adjunct project has to be something that JMS said TMoS *wasn't*. When did JMS say that TMoS wasn't a miniseries?

Ok...I must be going crazy...I've searched the JMSNews archives but can't seem to find something I swear I remember reading.

In v1.0 he gave the above list. Didn't JMS give us a post where he said a list of a few more things it isn't?

I know there was the list in Sept. 2003 which had a series in it. Am I going crazy? Did he not at some point say mini-series? Or was that one we were all arguing was still available the whole time and I'm suffering from momentary dyslexia? (Wouldn't be the first time. :p) Of course, either way, I still think a mini-series is an outside possibility...but I will admit my memory may well have been whack. Although, since it's been mentioned the thought that it's a new game is sounding like the lead possibility.

:rolleyes: :D

Anyway...I've always said I would admit when I'm off or wrong. ;)

CE

"Dory" here is trying to remember. :confused:

All I can recall is the clue that it wasn't a series.

I don't remember anything specifically said about a mini-series.

At this point I don't even check into the JMS moderated group every day or two. I'm counting on you folks to let us all know when something finally is announced. :D ;)

Thanks, Joe, for the pinned thread. When it lights up, I'll check out what news has been posted.

{snip}
In v1.0 he gave the above list. Didn't JMS give us a post where he said a list of a few more things it isn't?

I know there was the list in Sept. 2003 which had a series in it. Am I going crazy? Did he not at some point say mini-series? Or was that one we were all arguing was still available the whole time and I'm suffering from momentary dyslexia?

Try JMS's posting on 27 September 2003, about the middle.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?ID=1-17016

I don't know about that. I mean, how long ago did he give us that list of what TMoS _wasn't_? In the fall? Things may have changed since then. Especially since we're talking about something that is adjunct to TMoS - it could be that in the course of negotiations, the possibility of taking the film to series came up, so that even though JMS said it _wasn't_ a series way back then (he did, didn't he?), it might in fact be that very thing now.

I don't think we can take it as certain that the universe is a static thing, especially when we're talking about Hollywood and contracts. Things change very fast 'round those parts.

Aisling

I don't know about that. I mean, how long ago did he give us that list of what TMoS _wasn't_? In the fall?

I don't think this makes any difference since JMS himself is referring back to his earlier posts. I'm pretty sure he knows what he ruled out then, and what the "adjunct" project is now.

FYI "ver 1.0" of the "Not" list is not the one quoted above. In an earlier post he had mentioned two possible B5 universe projects that were in the talking stage, and said that neither of them was a TV series or a "publishing project". The three items I believe he never ruled out in so many words were feature film (obviously), computer or video game and mini-series.* One of those two went to the money and writing stage to become TMoS. JMS has never said anything specific about the second of the two project ideas that were "possible" last fall - but it is certainly possible that the second is either still under consideration or is being re-examined after being dropped for awhile.

The more extensive list of "not animated series, not comic book, etc." was a response to subsequent speculation and was evidently not intended to supercede the earlier post. (Although an awful lot of people claimed to find cosmic significance in the fact that the first post had said "no series" while the second said "no animated series" and suggested that "things change over time" and that TMoS might have morphed into a series in the interim.)

Regards,

Joe

* Re: Mini-series:

Am I going crazy? Did he not at some point say mini-series?

As it happens he didn't. But even if he had I wouldn't think it out of the question that the answer to your first question might be "Yes". :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back