• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

uh-oh....this doesn't sound good.

Re: uh-oh....this doesn\'t sound good.

So, until something is official I don't see any harm is supporting Babylon 5 who knows if the cry is load enough we might even be able to help in ways we don't know about yet or save some fights down the road.

Excellent points, Marshall. To paraphrase something JMS said once at a convention that tried to give him too small a room: "His people are coming."

I've seen statistics about how one written letter equals 'X' number of people who feel the same way. If for no other reason, why not write so that WB will understand that the fan base is what's going to provide the 'buzz' about this film.

Jan

That was the room where he had a panel discussion, wasn't it Jan? For a moment I thought you meant the room he was staying in, but then I did remember reading something about him going to a room for a talk or a panel and knowing immediately that it wasn't even close to being big enough for everyone who would show up.

:)

Elstree: sent.
Warner: sent.

Dear Sir or Madam,

First of all, please permit me to apologize.
I could be wasting both of our valuable time, with nothing more but a rumour.

However, via people better informed than myself, I have received two interesting news items -- both unconfirmed, one quite delightful, another potentially disappointing.

Positive news for me was hearing of a new "Babylon 5" movie being prepared for production. /---/ I can only commend J.M.Straczinsky for writing another part to his story and Warner for supporting its publication. I appreciate and respect your venture.

However, even best ventures can fail -- and the second news I received suggests this new story... is currently under risk of failure. My source mentioned that Warner is considering whether to recast old "Babylon 5" roles with new actors.

I feel obligated to recommend against that. /---/ In addition to diminishing consistency and quality... employing new actors in original B5 roles... would be perceived as unfair to the original actors (who have invested notable time to the success of this show). Many fans of B5, myself likewise... have notable loyalty towards their favourite actors. We would be very disappointed by someone less wonderful attempting to substitute for them.

Therefore, despite inability to confirm whether such a choice is actually being considered... I feel I should strongly advise even against the *possibility* of recasting of existing roles.

Yours sincerely,

Dark Horizons now has a very brief mention of the recasting controversy in its News Bites section. To my knowledge, this is the first mention of the story in the general SF media.

That was the room where he had a panel discussion, wasn't it Jan? For a moment I thought you meant the room he was staying in, but then I did remember reading something about him going to a room for a talk or a panel and knowing immediately that it wasn't even close to being big enough for everyone who would show up.

Yes, it was for a pannel or spotlight, Hypatia. Don't remember what convention, though.

Jan

I posted on www.SpeculativeVision.com, which has the B5 fans I used to watch the series with, and it's my hope that at least one member there will hit some of the boards for Scifi Channel.

How about Frell Me Dead? Did VacantLook post there? I will also post on the LOST board at ABC, I have seen several fans there comparing B5 to LOST in numerous ways regarding being patient for the arc to play out and the depth of the writing.

It spent a good part of the night on the forums of some of the web comics I frequent. Most of the audience is a little young for B5 16<,but I do know there are B5 fans lurking there too. Since web comics seem of have a lot of overlap with the Scifi group. There is also talk about this on the Gateworld forums which is one of the bigger SG1 fan sites.

How about Frell Me Dead? Did VacantLook post there?

I haven't been over to Frell Me Dead in quite some time, honestly. But I do remember reading a post of someone either here or at jmsnews's forums saying they posted there about this issue.

I still need to write up and mail a letter to ol' WB from me this afternoon; I should make myself get on it! :eek:

I have one gripe with the first sample letter posted on Keepb5alive.com. I don't think we should be mentioning Diane Baker. For one thing, we have no independent confirmation that the Diane Baker rumor is accurate. If you mention it in the letter, and it's not true, WB will think you don't know what you're talking about.

Secondly, we don't know the full extent of the behind the scenes machinations related to the attempted purging of the original cast. For all we know, "Diane Baker" is simply a retooled version of Ivanova or Lochley. Rather than recast all of the existing characters, they simply change some of the names in the script and make them "new" characters.

The biggest things we have going against us are:

1) Time. They are going to be making a decision quickly it sounds like.

2) Exposure. This isn't HUGE news like the cancelling of Farscape that caused so many fans to write in and protest in outrage. This is a VERY QUIET Internet rumor. Sure, the hardcore fans heard it and are aware of it, but it isn't something that the masses of fans of the show are even aware of --- heck most probably aren't aware of a pending movie.

So its going to be very hard to get the organization and numbers needed to pull this off in the short time that there is. Hopefully some key online sites pull together and drive this, because without direction the complaints wont be heard.

Well, I posted at the LOST Board on ABC.Com, since I have seen several posts there comparing B5 to LOST, and obviously several of those people are fans of B5.

Seems one particular poster (Who, by the way only has 66 posts, and I have 40, so not much difference in posts aquired) was quite offended by my post.

So its going to be very hard to get the organization and numbers needed to pull this off in the short time that there is. Hopefully some key online sites pull together and drive this, because without direction the complaints wont be heard.

The Zocalo Today http://www.isnnews.net/ featured the www.keepb5alive.com site on the front page this morning.

So far, I'm running into way too much 'wait and see' about writing a letter and that's what I think is perhaps the biggest hazard.

Still, the word is that JMS is firmly opposed to any recasting also. It may be that all that's needed is a 'chiming in' from the fans to make WB realize they shouldn't mess around with a winning combination of talent.

Jan

I agree and I've already sent my letter. Just trying to make mention to anyone reading this thread what this movie is up against, and hopefully not only get the word out about the movie, but about the re-casting, and that something needs to be done ASAP.

recoil the other reason the news is getting out slow as appose to the canselation of Farscape is because when you cancel a that is a public act. We are dealing with rumors and rumors by their nature are much quiter and tend not raise a call as quickly. In all CE, Jan and amy have done a great job of creating this much of an out cry as they have. Also most people tend not to be as up on the news during the weekend so now that its monday we should see some more movement.

So far, I'm running into way too much 'wait and see' about writing a letter and that's what I think is perhaps the biggest hazard.

The Doubting Thomas, handwringing, lead butts are really a frustrating bunch. :rolleyes:

The Doubting Thomas, handwringing, lead butts are really a frustrating bunch. :rolleyes:

Now there was a mental image that was just...wrong. Thanks for the laugh!

Jan

I have one gripe with the first sample letter posted on Keepb5alive.com. I don't think we should be mentioning Diane Baker.

That's a point, but we really want people to write whatever they feel comfortable with. Everybody is encouraged to write their own. Those are just samples for people unsure of what should be put in a letter like this.

Jan

Well my letter from the UK went out today. This is the first letter writing campaign I have taken part in.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back