• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

uh-oh....this doesn't sound good.

Re: uh-oh....this doesn\'t sound good.

Yes, fans of the books are extremely dissatisfied with the mini-series. People who only saw the first episode and couldn't bring themsleves to watch the second part listed at least 10 things that were wrong. The male hero's true name in the miniseries was his use name, and vice versa. The hero was far too liberal with sharing his true name. And numerous other complaints. While I didn't think it was a masterpiece, and haven't read the books or know anything about the story, I found it a nice diversion from reality.

I sent in my letter to WB regarding the recasting. I said the same basic things everyone else has said, Heard a rumor about the movie, it's great if it's true, however there's also a rumor regarding recasting original characters, which would be a mistake and alienate the fan base. New characters are fine, but existing characters shouldn't be recast unless actor isn't available. Star Wars and Star Trek both did phenomenally well with no "big names". B5 could be WB's Star Trek Franchise. Fan base will bring all their friends if the movie doesn't step on canan and recast original characters, etc.

I wish we had an insider who could tell us how many letters have arrived on this issue. Whatever it is, I hope it's enough to impress them that a letter writing campaign is in place before they have even announced the project. :)

Judging by the posts at jmsnews.net, i'd wager quite a few! The site seems gripped with a milatant fervour!
I've posted on a couple of other sites, and word is getting out. 95% of the reaction to rumoured cast changes is negative, suprisingly...

Imagine that. :rolleyes:

At JMS's moderated group there have been a couple of people getting a bit nasty towards the complainers (i.e. us :)). But there, too, the response seems to be overwhelmingly "WTF?!?" as well. :rolleyes:

Maybe the WB is planning to get Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson to play Sheridan and Delenn. :eek: :LOL:

**RW slaps self for having such a thought.**

I want Bruce and Mira!

It simply makes no sense. If you want a new cast and a new whole slice of the B5 universe, then you either keep the original cast to a minimum or you leave them out entirely.

Just who would see a B5 film that recast all of the major original roles? :confused: I mean, just who thinks that the old B5 fans would look the other way and see the movie anyway, and the recasting would make the show so much more popular that scads of "outsiders" would flock to see it, as well? :confused:

Like Star Trek or not: they proved the power of the fanbase when it comes to transferring a television sci-fi cult show to theatrical movies. JMS is very good at writing: if some of the original stars are pricing themselves out of the feature, I would guess JMS could write around it.

What bothers me the most about this is it seems more and more likely that it is true (no news is not always good news, especially with JMS who in the past has been very quick to say "NO" when something just basically isn't true.

So just what are the suits up to this time? Cooling on the idea, and looking for an excuse to back out? :(

Maybe the WB is planning to get Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson to play Sheridan and Delenn. :eek: :LOL:

**RW slaps self for having such a thought.**

...remembering the people lined up to slap the hysterical woman in "Airplane!" as the B5 fans begin to form a similar line here. :devil: :LOL:

So just what are the suits up to this time? Cooling on the idea, and looking for an excuse to back out? :(
They could can the whole thing right now and have no one to answer to, because it hasn't been announced and so it doesn't exist. No, if true, the only things that make sense about recasting as I see it are:

1. It involves a few (not many, or it isn't cost-effective) charactors from the TV series.

2. The studio doesn't want to lose JMS and so isn't just ramming this down (which they could, given that they own B5).

3. It is still in play, or else JMS would have EEP'ed a signal to shut up.

If the original US cast is brought back I suspect that Babylon 5: The Memory of Shadows will hit major problems with UK tax law. The laws on films are designed to make the studios employ British actors.

Hush, we don't need any more cans of worms opened up :p ;)

Seriously though, I've never heard about this. How's this work with the US made HP movies, that demand British Actors to keep the British authenticity? Is there a US tax law along the same lines?

If the original US cast is brought back I suspect that Babylon 5: The Memory of Shadows will hit major problems with UK tax law. The laws on films are designed to make the studios employ British actors.
I have a hard time seeing any kind of SF/effects-driven film having a budget as low as the threshold mentioned in your post on the news thread, but I admit I haven't been keeping up with the exchange rate.

I have a hard time seeing any kind of SF/effects-driven film having a budget as low as the threshold mentioned in your post on the news thread, but I admit I haven't been keeping up with the exchange rate.
It is not the £20 million pounds we have to worry about but the 70%.

You are right; depending on where the special effects are made could make a big difference. A small production firm may not be used to thinking in those terms.

Using the original cast would not cause problems with the UK financing laws since the majority of the production would use British workers.

I new address update, people! Yes, that means more and more letters....or in this case even a decent number of faxes wouldn't hurt, IMO!

Let's launch the next phase!

Winchester Films is the production house for TMoS with WB apparently distributing...so let's get those letters to Winchester!

In the UK:

Winchester Entertainment
19 Heddon Street
London
W1B 4BG
United Kingdom

Tel: 0207 851 6500
Fax: 0207 851 6505

And in the US:

Winchester Entertainment
701 Santa Monica Blvd.
Suite 230
Santa Monica CA 90401
USA

Tel: +001 310 395 4800
Fax: +001 310 395 8578

Let's get those letters going again, folks! There little time and lots to do!

CE

I've just looked up Winchester Entertainment on the net. They appear to have been taken over by ContentFilm.

Same address in London; different title.

Should we be addressing our letters to ContentFilm?

ContentFilm

My understanding is that it was mainly the other way around...Winchester merged with Content in a buyout of Content's stock...in short a takeover.

So Winchester is the one to write to. And Winchester is the one listed on the casting sheets.

CE

Winchester Entertainment
19 Heddon Street
London
W1B 4BG
United Kingdom

Tel: 0207 851 6500
Fax: 0207 851 6505

A W1 postal address!!!

That address is not only in London it is in the very expensive centre of London. It is in the Mayfair district just off Regent Street.

Within a half-mile walk they have Regent's Park, Hyde Park, Green Park, St James's Park, the posh Oxford Street shops, Charing Cross railway station and the River Thames.

The purpose of that address must be to impress the investors because I doubt there are many media companies in that part of London.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back