• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

uh-oh....this doesn't sound good.

Re: uh-oh....this doesn\'t sound good.

There are some new banners on the site now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jan

Thanks for relaying the suggestion Jan - they look great! I'll make sure they get spread around to as many people as I know.

Yea JJ's argument seems to be the best one.

If they are having 3-4 NEW roles for "Star Names" only, then why would they even THINK about replacing other characters (like Sheridan and Delenn) with MORE "star name" actors and spend more $$$$ considering this film probably doesnt have a huge budget...when they can get Bruce and Mira in there for less than Star Name pay (but more than they would make on a TV movie to be sure).

That is an interesting point.

First of all, thank you Darth for the kindness and respect. I hope I've earned it. :)

Secondly, Jan's scenario of what's going on is the same one I believe in. Since my source has indicated to me that Sheridan, Delenn and Lochley (and given Peter Jurasic's mention at a recent con that "an alien with big hair" will be in it)Londo and most likely G'Kar as well, are all in this film.

These story "leaks" are suspiciously lacking any mention of the main cast. This reads to me (and from what I'm hearing inside the biz) that they are purposefully leaving out the role the main characters play in this in order to pull a fast one on the fans. Remember (as evidenced by what they're up to) suits are notoriously dumb. They actually believe that the fans will just eat this up and not care.

They are wrong.

I firmly believe that the main characters have a large role to play in this. Also, consider that it took JMS a while to re-write after Rick's passing, which indicates the re-write was at least somewhat extensive...thus the main cast plays a large role in this story.

They are "leaking" this so that we will all just accept that the main cast is minor or not in it really at all, so we won't say much or write in...then when they recast, we won't care.

This, as I've said, is Hollywood hardball politics and manipulation of fans and audiences...not to mention the creative people like JMS...for had there been no outcry from us, he would surely have lost this battle. Thanks to a few insiders that Jan, Amy and I knew, we found out what they were up to.

Now, let's get off our encounter suited butts and do something! :)

CE

Well, now, I'm not so sure I'm willing to die for this campaign. :p

LOL! And you call yourself a fan! Tsk, tsk... :p

Seriously, though, from some of the 'wait-and-see-what-if-we're-wrong', you'd think that was what we were asking instead of a little bit of paper and postage.

We haven't even started asking for self immolation yet! The day's still young.... :devil:

Jan

We haven't even started asking for self immolation yet! The day's still young.... :devil:

Jan
Now that would definitely cut into WB's profit margin there. Can't waste too many of the fans. :)

then why would they even THINK about replacing other characters (like Sheridan and Delenn) with MORE "star name" actors

I would like to agree... to declare the entire possibility "too foolish to believe"... and to expect everything to be fine.

However, I have an inherent suspicion towards the opposite... a habit of considering the worst case.

On the background of aforementioned rumours and leaks... the very minimum I would need to drop my suspicion (anticipation of some irrational screw-up)... would be JMS confirming that everything is going reasonably.

But he... has not found it possible to say anything.

I put a banner on my website about this "Keep B5 alive". I have also tried my best to spread the word across many forums. Hope it does some good. :eek:

I've made those. Feel free to use them as you want to redirect people toward pages that have the info on this issue.

norecast_sher.gif

norecast_del.gif

norecast_gal.gif

norecast_loch.gif

norecast_lond.gif

Well, my letter is written, signed, stamped, and sealed. Tomorrow it will also be mailed.

Basically I said nice things about B5, said how wonderful it was that WB was getting a new project going, and then said that "without J. Michael Straczynski writing and without the original cast performing, a Babylon 5 movie would probably not be worth watching."

I felt it was important to remind WB that we need both the cast and the Great Maker behind the scenes. I'm worried they might ditch JMS as being too troublesome, so I put in my good word for him.

In reading about Ursula K. Le Guin's opinions on the SciFiChannel's Earthsea miniseries, on this webpage she says something I find quite interesting.

...and I said that although I knew that a film must differ greatly from a book, I hoped they were making no unnecessary changes in the plot or to the characters—a dangerous thing to do, since the books have been known to millions of people for decades. They replied that the TV audience is much larger, and entirely different, and would be unlikely to care about changes to the books' story and characters.

I can so totally hear the suits at WB telling jms a very similar thing: "The movie-going audience is much larger, and entirely different, and would be unlikely to care about the tv actors."

Kinda looks like Lochley has "Spock Ears" in that one banner...

Unfortunately, VL, Earthsea got kick-ass ratings for the sci-fi channel. :(

Yeah. Seems like everything they advertise heavily for 6 months in advance does. Funny, that.

Jan

Yeah. Seems like everything they advertise heavily for 6 months in advance does. Funny, that.

Yeah, and not just advertise for that period of time, but advertise all over the place.

I find myself more often than not thinking that the SciFiChannel can just suck my ass.

Kinda looks like Lochley has "Spock Ears" in that one banner...
"Spochley?"

*ducks*

You better run! :D

Thanks Tom for the banners! They're great!

As for Earthsea...yea, I can definately hear the idiots :eek: ...oops, I mean suits, saying the same thing.

As for that particular mini-series...I watched the first night, and it was so bad and painful I couldn't bear to watch any more. I hope the books aren't as stupid as that mini-series was.

Terrible script, horrid direction...and miscasting out the ass.

Please, Great Maker, let TMoS not suffer so!

CE

I've only read the first of the Earthsea books, but it was much better than what I've heard about the skiffy miniseries. But I confess the only Le Guinn book I've read I didn't really like all that much was "Left Hand of Darkness". It just wasn't my kind of thing.

I will eventually read the rest of the Earthsea books, though, I am sure. The first has proven to be interesting enough to merit a follow-up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back