• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Trek XI Set for Xmas 2008 release

Ok I'll admit the trailer is pretty f'n awesome. There's no way I can resist sound clips of JFK, Spock, and TOS theme intro.

Yes .. I am, actually, quite thoroughly ashamed. I plead brainfart!

(Hey, if I remember what class the Enterprise C was ...)

Are you saying you think the Enterprise C was a Constellation?

*COUGH*

Ambassador

*COUGH*

The USS Stargazer - Picard's old ship, was a Constellation class.

Unspecified in any canon source, and its from a possible alternate timeline, so may not even exist.

And it was from Enterprise, which was 75% pants.

Yeah... it seemed to me, the more they tweaked with the show, the worse it got.

It's a shame because they had some real talent on the show.

A lot of people grumbled about the theme tune... I actually like the song a lot, but I felt that the natural tune to use in the opening credits would have been the opening anthem from First Contact... it just seemed to epitomize the whole... "putting your first foot forward out the door into the wild frontier" type spirit for me.

I actually like wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff stories... but I felt that they made a rod for their backs by establishing it as an arc... especially so early on... as it detracted from the main point of the series - rifding out and meeting familiar species for the very first time... and Earth finding it's place.

The whole Xindi thing started to grate me because it was too much of one constant storyline and seemed very gimmicky.

What were the 25% of bits you did like?

T'pol in her under-crackers mostly.

Some of the S4 stories by Manny-Coto were ok, and it started out with promise. When the Voyager / TNG episodes started coming around though, I gave up.

My impression so far of the new movie is that it's trying to do what Enterprise did, but this time do it well.

Yeah, they do seem fixated on the prequel thing. As I've said before, I always want Trek to go forward, so i find this a bit of a shame...

Well, it'll make money, since it'll have "Star Trek" in the name. They should try "Star Trek" opera or ballet. :)

I'm still not the least bit tempted to see the dead horse beaten after it's already started to gather vultures. If it's well-written, then it's the writing on the wall for movie-making in the USA: just take a familiar name, and do whatever you want with it. The name's all that matters, it seems.

Nah, not worth the long trip to the town that might show this film. I'll try to see what the script looks like whenever it leaks out online. ;)

Well, it'll make money, since it'll have "Star Trek" in the name. They should try "Star Trek" opera or ballet. :)

I'm still not the least bit tempted to see the dead horse beaten after it's already started to gather vultures. If it's well-written, then it's the writing on the wall for movie-making in the USA: just take a familiar name, and do whatever you want with it. The name's all that matters, it seems.

Nah, not worth the long trip to the town that might show this film. I'll try to see what the script looks like whenever it leaks out online. ;)

Good luck waiting on that leaked script. Almost all of the actors have only seen their sides, not the complete script.

It'll leak after it's released, and I'm in no hurry to see this modern classic of an epic. :)

Maybe I'll Netflix it some day.

You folks are worse than the die-hard Trekkers who have been being wooed by Roberto Orci and Abrams using a little thing we B5 fans have known about for years...posting on the internet. It's funny that the Trekkers, who in Abrams and Orci, et al, finally have someone in charge who'll listen to them, act like such a thing is a new concept. To have the people in charge actually correspond with the fans and listen!! OMG what an idea! I hate to tell them that we B5 fans have had that for over 15 years! And Whedon fans and BSG fans for sometime less.

Either way, I have been reading up on this new incarnation of the Great Bird's creation and believe it or not it is turning out to be visionary! And that's something that Trek fans haven't had since the Great Bird himself was alive or since Nick Meyer graced the soundstages of Paramount last.

Orci, Kurtzman, Abrams and the rest of the crew and their new cast all seem to have a sincere desire to breathe new life into Trek and give it a new future, one with passion and vision and with an epic feel. Orci clearly states it will follow canon while being a re-imagining at the same time.

There are a couple of great articles (the chat with Abrams and the rest from the bridge of the new Enterprise while they were shooting no less) over at Trekmovie.com. These characters do transcend the cast who originally played them...all of which have given their blessings to their new, young actor replacements, yes even the Shat. Some of them (especially Nimoy who came out of 15 years of retirement to play Spock once more because of how incredible the script was) have even visited the set and watched some of the filming. Nichols visited the Enterprise set to watch and speak with Zoe Saldana who's taking over the role of Uhura. Funny thing is the soundstage they were in is where the original series was shot back in the 60's! What a moment..from birth to possible re-birth..all in the same place.

I was skeptical of this new film at first, much like I was over the new Bond. But over time and after reading what the creative minds behind this one have said...I have come to the conclusion that Star Trek is finally, once again, in good hands...visionary hands...who clearly feel the weight of the universe in which they're working...a universe that has given us quite a lot...even considering the last 15 or so mostly wasted years under B&B (who by the way have absolutely nothing to do with this Trek...none of their team is remotely involved...it's a new ballgame!).

So go on over to Trekmovie.com and read up a bit...you might find yourself anxiously awaiting this film, just as I have.

CE

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back