• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Tonight's Hero Episode

Recoil

Regular
Tonight\'s Hero Episode

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here. I will say this though. I read in this forum somewhere where someone made a comment about cringing when they saw the previews for this episode --- some kid who thinks he is a superhero. I cringed too. That sort of thing has been done before and has usually turned out pretty lame. All I have to say is leave it to JMS to be able to do that kind of premise and not only have it not be lame, but be very different and really make a point with the message this series is supposed to deliver. I liked it a lot.

Re: Tonight\'s Hero Episode

IIRC, the episode's name is Man of Iron, Woman Under Glass. Yeah, I thought it was pretty good, too. The only part I had a hard time believing was how the number 2 person (Erin?) in the mountain didn't realize how important the "woman under glass" was.

Also, did Jeremiah take the notebook computer with him? It seemed as if it had some information he could use...

It looked like he took the notebook with him in the end, assuming he didn't get a little to emotional in the end and drop it and forget about it /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I also wondered if the episode was going to be disappointing, but it really wasn't. I'm really beginning to think this will be a good series. I'm also looking forward to another new Showtime series called Odyssey 5, which premieres in June. I don't know much about it, but it's a space-based show, & I like those.

Tammy

*still updating her web site and stuff*

Heh, I thought it was funny how all these people (and not just here) were saying how they thought this episode might be lame because of the comic book aspect. I knew better. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif I always thought it was going to be funny and possibly even have a message. Good to know I was right. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

I think I will hold off posting my review until I had a chance to watch it again ... however, it did really show a lot more where this series is headed. I can't wait until next week's episode since it is one of JMS' favorites.

As for Erin ... I think she was just blinded by the fact that Markus didn't trust her. I guess her anger made her not see the situation too clearly.

[rant]
Ok, this is going to sound realllllly lame but my husband and the TiVo f*cked up our recording of MoIWUG. /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif Hubby (ok maybe it was just the VCR but it is easier to be mad at him) hooked up the VCR back upstairs and it failed to even start recording. Then the TiVo ended up cutting off the last minute of the show! /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/mad.gif I had even set it to record a minute early and a minute late ... did the show start late or was the clock off?

Soooooo, since they only repeat the eps on Showtime Beyond (which is only available on a Dish Network around here and I don't know anyone with one) ... ok, another gripe ... why are the eps on SB out of order?? MoIWUG doesn't repeat until March 31st.
[/rant]

Uhm, ok, enough ranting ... if anyone can help me out with this situation ... PM me. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Yep showtime was running a few minutes behind so it ended about 4 min later than it should have. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

I watched it while I taped it off Showtime West (we tape something else from 9-10 CST and Stargate starts at 9 CST on Showtime) and watched it again today with my wife. A very good ep. And the network had a couple of glitches at the end where it blacked out for a sec or two and came back, but we missed the very last line to the blacking out.

I agree with you partly on Erin. She was blinded. She never even looked at the perspective that he had been helping Megan for who knows how long before he even had anyone else in the facility and that he may trust Erin with current items etc, this started before he ever knew Erin and he had his own obligation.

However, I think Erin also panicked to an extent, and that is very understandable. Think about it. It has been 15 years she(Megan) has been in that facility, and we don't know how long Markus was there before he brought others (it is my impression he was alone there when he found her because at his age he would have probably told any other kids there as well since they would also be military children and such). At 13 he probably wasn't driving, and I doubt the Cheyenne Mountain Facility is super close to any neighborhoods.

So for a good period of time he may have been in the facility by himself, and even after he brings others in they are probably not skilled in maintenace and repairs.

Even now with the kids having been there for a long time, they still may not know how to repair some of the more technical systems (as Theo said, you have to learn to do the easy stuff before you can do the harder, bigger stuff). They also may not be able to access certain systems necessary for repair. So, if something were to glitch the air filtration system, they could all be dead. Megan brought up the point that the EV suits could be worn, well so could many other things in different shafts and rooms and walls. The guy who provided the meals talked about animals and the forks, what if one got somewhere and chewed through a wire? There really is a cause for concern.

So far the show has been very impressive and with a great ep of Stargate before it Saturday morning (got home at 11:30 from work and started taping at midnight) was quite enjoyable before I got my few hours of sleep and trudged to work again.

SmG

He did go back for the laptop. It looks like MOI had some type of contact with Valhalla Sector. Maybe Jeremiah is hoping some of the info about VS is stored on the hard drive.

Yep, looks like I lost about the last 4 minutes. Reset my season pass to start 5 minutes early and end 5 minutes late. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Good review SMG. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Guess I will need to find someone who has Showtime Beyond so I can get a decent copy of Friday's episode.

I liked Erin but I think I will need to see her in one more episode before making a final decision on that. She just spent too much of the episode being angry and sneaky so I am not sure that is who she really is.

Kraig, I also think that laptop will come in handy (anyone notice that they were getting low on plastic forks and forks were one of the first things Jeremiah found in the DB?) and possibly tell us more about Valhalla Sector.

Anyway, I am done updating my web site for tonight and will have a few things more to do tomorrow. In the meantime, here is my review from my web site:

I was really pleased to see more of an indication of where this series will take us. JMS really put me through the wringer with this episode as he made me laugh outloud, cry and also made me think about issues like morality and religion. It was a well balanced episode which developed the characters of Markus and Jeremiah quite a lot.

The first story was about the "Man of Iron" or Captain Iron as he calls himself. This storyline revealed how strongly JMS feels about comics and how they shaped -his- morality. It was especially moving to see how important they became to this young man and ultimately, the impact it had on Jeremiah and the rest of the world. Also, Jeremiah's speech in the Iron Cave to God was quite powerful and thought provoking.

There was two questions I was left pondering: What did John (Captain Iron) know about the Valhalla Sector? How and why was he apparently used as a lab experiment?

The second story was the "Woman Under Glass" or Meaghan (AKA Typhoid Mary) who somehow survived the Big D even though she has the deadly virus. When Erin found out about Meaghan, she was faced with the decision to share it with the others or trust Markus. I hope we get to see more of Meaghan in future episodes because she was a very complex character who was portrayed quite convincingly. Plus, she could be the key to curing the disease at some point!

In regards to John's knowledge of Valhalla Sector, although he died, his sister might know something and be able to provide some info.

Funny how Jeremiah typed so easily after 15 years....I think he should have been hunting and pecking a little more, but its not a big thing.

As for Meaghan (I'll spell it correctly now), her system is potentially helpful being a carrier, but only in maybe rendering the virus (bacteria? she referred to both) harmless, and not eradicating it (which is not a horrible solution). Her system doesn't show the progression of the disease because the virus stops and hibernates basically, so it is tough to see what the virus attacks and how it destroys whichever systems it destroys.

If they could find someone who was naturally immune (does not get sick AND has a system that kills the virus so it cannot be passed), they would really have someone to work with, being able to compare and find what gives that person the immunity. Or (like in the Markab ep on B5) if they caught someone at the right moment of infection (and isolated them) they could follow the progression and try to find a way to shut it down.

And although I like the heartstrings tug on that story, the council really should know because the risks as I posted above are real, and someone really needs to start reading some genetics and high level medical books, and knowing a potential solution is sitting there might increase the motivation, because it is going to take a while to develop the scientists and doctors that can do this type of work. The benefits outweigh the risks (worst-case they lock the mountain down and only those there die, containing the disease) but disclosure is needed to be able to truly work on a solution. (and if you think these posts are long, go to the Stargate Season 5 thread at the ISNNews Forums and read my reviews....hehe)

SmG

Ok, now that I have watched this particular ep about 4 or 5 times now (trying to get screen caps and what not), I have been thinking more about what was revealed.

SMG, it is true that Shelley might know something about the Valhalla Sector but then again, she might not. John was pretty tramatized by the mere mention of the name and said, "Never ask. Never tell. Never write the words. Don't say the words." so it could have been a secret from his whole family. Did even his parents know what exactly was happening to him? It just doesn't seem like something you would knowingly subject your child to. It also makes me really wonder why and how he became invovled with VS. It could have even had a role in his creation of Caption Iron persona.

Also, as for Meaghan, I still think she could be a big part of finding out about the Big D and a cure for it. I also think we will see a person who is naturally immune so it will be interesting to see how Jeremiah's world deals with it.

Then, there is Markus. My feeling about him is that he has become used to living in that little micro-environment of NORAD and has purposefully put off dealing with the reality of the world outside it. I think love has also blinded him and has not been able to think rationally about the situation with Meaghan. Hopefully, Erin and he will be able to talk about it more and raise the issue with the council. I don't think it would be necessary to reveal the whole truth to the council (at least in the beginning) since it could cause a panic. Also, I am sure Jeremiah will be able to help weigh in on the situation as well. We shall see. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Ok, I have to throw these out there because I noticed them and they bug me ... Did anyone else notice that they recolored the young Jeremiah's eye in the opening sequence? They were blue (or some light color) in the pilot but now they are brown. I also noticed this discrepancy in the pilot but I really took note this time around. The second thing I noticed was the code Markus used to see Meaghan ... 5433 ... Is there a significance to those numbers?

Heh, now you can see how really obsessed I am huh? *laughs*

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> SMG, it is true that Shelley might know something about the Valhalla Sector but then again, she might not. John was pretty tramatized by the mere mention of the name and said, "Never ask. Never tell. Never write the words. Don't say the words." so it could have been a secret from his whole family. Did even his parents know what exactly was happening to him? It just doesn't seem like something you would knowingly subject your child to. It also makes me really wonder why and how he became invovled with VS. It could have even had a role in his creation of Caption Iron persona. <hr></blockquote>

I only saw the episode once. I seem to remember in Captain Iron's flashback his parents had already succumbed to the big death. The CDC or whatever alphabet soup Government Health agency in charge was probably rounding up who ever was still alive in the house to see why they were immune. I imagine that at the start of the plague the Heath agencies are trying to find out who is immune, how it is spread, etc. I would also imagine until they could get a handle on what was going on they would take an "ends justifies the means" attitude and declare martial law.

My two cents.

Please forgive me if this comes out screwed up. It is the first time I have tried using the quote function.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lyta:
<font color=yellow>SMG, it is true that Shelley might know something about the Valhalla Sector but then again, she might not. John was pretty tramatized by the mere mention of the name and said, "Never ask. Never tell. Never write the words. Don't say the words." so it could have been a secret from his whole family. Did even his parents know what exactly was happening to him? It just doesn't seem like something you would knowingly subject your child to. It also makes me really wonder why and how he became invovled with VS. It could have even had a role in his creation of Caption Iron persona.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

That is why I did say "may know" /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

It is all speculation. But IMO it wouldn't hurt to ask. You lose nothing if she doesn't know, but if she does the potential for reward is great. As young as he was, and depending on when it happened, I kind of find it hard that at least one of his parents would not have a hand in it. Schools and daycares are public enough someone would probably say something if he were not there. (Unless we have a big gov't conspiracy, always a possibility....maybe he was patient X the one infected to spread it to adults) It does add a dark side to Valhalla Sector potentially that may make it less the safe haven Jeremiah might expect it to be.

Aside to Kraig...you may be right. But the flashback clip of the medical bed was John's and separate from his sister's clips when she told Jeremiah about John. My impression was that this conditioning helped make him odd, and since he was odd before his parents died, the experimentation happened before. We also don't know how soon after the plague struck that his parents died. If they died early that means they were probably closer to Ground Zero, so to speak. But the whole thing was over in 6 months, and that is not a long time for researchers to do a whole lot.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>Also, as for Meaghan, I still think she could be a big part of finding out about the Big D and a cure for it. I also think we will see a person who is naturally immune so it will be interesting to see how Jeremiah's world deals with it.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I agree she could help, and I even stated parenthetically that rendering the virus harmless is not a bad solution in and of itself. I just commented that a carrier is less helpful than a naturally immune person or someone who they can catalog the progression of the disease. If they can render the virus harmless in adults, it would be good. But mutations could occur, and that is why eradication (and/or natural immunity)may be the better choice. I think she needs to be kept alive and even moreso when they gather more knowledge. She could be an invaluable resource if they could do some scans and tests including blood samples and such.

And being a Texan, Big D always makes me think Dallas. :p

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>Then, there is Markus. My feeling about him is that he has become used to living in that little micro-environment of NORAD and has purposefully put off dealing with the reality of the world outside it. I think love has also blinded him and has not been able to think rationally about the situation with Meaghan. Hopefully, Erin and he will be able to talk about it more and raise the issue with the council. I don't think it would be necessary to reveal the whole truth to the council (at least in the beginning) since it could cause a panic. Also, I am sure Jeremiah will be able to help weigh in on the situation as well. We shall see. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I really don't know how to broach it to the council without disclosing the full nature. (Listen up guys we have an actual adult who survived the big death! Ummm welll she is behind the glass because..because) And it will cause a panic no matter when or how gently its broken to them. But this is a danger to all of them and more than one person has brought doom (at least in fiction /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif ) with those famous last words, "I can handle it, and no one else needs to know." I do agree he is a little blinded, and sheltered. I think Erin has feelings of her own for Markus, and that may prevent the situation from being disclosed. The great thing about it is it leaves the door open for JMS to pull a catastrophe or a miracle out and that is why I find it intrigueing (sp).

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>Ok, I have to throw these out there because I noticed them and they bug me ... Did anyone else notice that they recolored the young Jeremiah's eye in the opening sequence? They were blue (or some light color) in the pilot but now they are brown. I also noticed this discrepancy in the pilot but I really took note this time around. The second thing I noticed was the code Markus used to see Meaghan ... 5433 ... Is there a significance to those numbers?

Heh, now you can see how really obsessed I am huh? *laughs* </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

As for the eyes, I didn't notice. But I caught the virus/bacteria line in the same quote by Meaghan. And Jeremiah's typing and driving skills are both quite adept for someone who probably had never driven and who hadn't seen a computer in years. But most of the things I see are minor and don't ruin my overall enjoyment of the program (much like the jumppoints on Rangers and other CGI differences). Besides, suspension of disbelief is necessary in almost all series at some point or other.

As for the code, I really don't know. Could mean something, could be nothing.

SmG

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lyta:
<font color=yellow>Heh, now you can see how really obsessed I am huh? *laughs* </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Ok, here is another minor detail that someone pointed out on RASTB5M ... the comic book "Man of Iron" was under "Joe's Comics" imprint. Pretty damn funny!

PS: SMG, I want to reply to your post when I am more coherent. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Originally posted by ShadowmageGalen:
<font color=yellow>That is why I did say "may know" /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif</font color=yellow>

I know. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif I am just giving my opinion just like your are. I find it interesting to see what other people's impressions are of the exact same thing. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I agree that Jeremiah should have at least asked Shelley about her brother and what she might know about VS. Maybe he did and we just didn't see it? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif I am torn on my opinion of this flashback since it leaves so much open to speculation. My first impression was that it happened before the Big D and perhaps contributed to his CI persona.

I like Kraig's idea about it happening after the BD and it makes sense too. Still, I am leaning toward it happening before and probably without the parents knowledge. If one (or both) parents knew what he was put through ... well, it's no wonder he turned out like he did. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif I like the gov't conspiracy that SMG's talked about too.

Oh, when I saw without the parents knowledge, I mean of the experiments specifically since they could have sent him away for tests for something unrelated and the doctors decided to use John in the VS experiments. Again, this is interesting for discussion purposes but really I am not going to dwell on it too much ... I would rather see what is in store for us. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

SMG:
<font color=yellow>I agree she could help, and I even stated parenthetically that rendering the virus harmless is not a bad solution in and of itself. I just commented that a carrier is less helpful than a naturally immune person or someone who they can catalog the progression of the disease.</font color=yellow>

Sorry if I came off sounding like I disagreed or contridicted you but I really do agree with what you said above. This whole thing with adults surviving the BD is just the tip of the iceberg ... just a feeling I have. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

SMG:
<font color=yellow>And being a Texan, Big D always makes me think Dallas. :p </font color=yellow>

*laughs* I am not sure you are referring to me or the usage in the show but that is funny!

SMG:
<font color=yellow>I really don't know how to broach it to the council without disclosing the full nature. [snip] The great thing about it is it leaves the door open for JMS to pull a catastrophe or a miracle out and that is why I find it intrigueing (sp). </font color=yellow>

I know ... I find it hard to imagine too but it is a subject that would have to be approached delicately. I totally agree with you about the second statement there. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

SMG:
<font color=yellow>As for the eyes, I didn't notice.</font color=yellow>

Yes, well that (and the passcode) was mostly me being silly. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

As for the virus/bacteria thing ... it doesn't surprise me that the people in Jeremiah use the two interchangably. Then the typing ... I did think that there would be a bit more hunt and peck but then I got to thinking about it and maybe he was a good typist before the BD. After all, it hits in 2006 or so and most kids around puberty would probably know how to type fairly decently. Maybe it is like riding a bike? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif Finally, the driving ... I bet the kids went a little crazy in the beginning and drove around a lot. All it takes is practice and gas which they probably didn't even think about conserving for a good couple of years. How long would the gas supply last anyhow?

Thanks for the interesting discussion! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mondo Londo:
<font color=yellow>Also, did Jeremiah take the notebook computer with him? It seemed as if it had some information he could use...</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

he did take it with him. <font class="small">Spoiler:</font>
<table bgcolor="#000000" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" border="0"><tr bgcolor="#000000"><td bgcolor="#000000" id="spoiler"><font color="#000000">but don't get your hopes up about it reappearing any time soon.</font></td></tr></table>

-di doctor-

This is a first-season show? You have *got* to be kidding me. I am so impressed... I was really impressed with this episode...

I really want to know what Captain Iron knew about Valhalla Sector. Yet another clue that this is bigger than we thought, ne? Meaghan, too? They're raising the stakes rather high on just the second episode out of the box, aren't they?

Question - what happened to the information on Valhalla Sector in the laptop...?

This episode had some really great points about humanity and hope... both positive and negative.

And just seeing Luke Perry, as a friend of mine says, "go apeshit," was so gratifiying. So, so gratifying...

Yeesh. What I wouldn't do to get my hands on one of the Jeremiah scripts. Especially "The Ground, Sown With Salt." Aiiie!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>And just seeing Luke Perry, as a friend of mine says, "go apeshit," was so gratifiying. So, so gratifying...<hr></blockquote></font color=yellow>

If you think that was good wait until you see "..And the Ground, Sown With Salt." Don't ever tell Jeremiah "your in my spot." /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back