• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Wars Episode III trailer on "The O.C."

Re: Star Wars Episode III trailer on \"The O.C.\"

I just wanted to add in here to those who actually think this will be the end of the SW films...don't count on it.

According to my source Lucas is still very interested in pursuing a planned set of three to four (yes, a quadrilogy) more films set in the NJO times. This is in addition to any series. Besides, he's realized how much money there is in these films and sees a film franchise blossoming.

The good news? He didn't write the scripts and he's not going to direct ever again.

CE

PS: I have no doubt that RotS will be spectacular to watch (although why can't they make their "living" --ie: Yoda-- characters look less CG? LOTR did it.).

I, however, do not expect to give a shit about any of the characters (as GL has not made me care in that last two and doing so was crucial to making me care about them in the last film), and I'm sure the plot will be weak, and there will be more painfull dialogue that actors will have to step over along with the rest of their lines since they had no one actually directing them (GL is no director).

CE -- again.

I just wanted to add in here to those who actually think this will be the end of the SW films...don't count on it.

According to my source Lucas is still very interested in pursuing a planned set of three to four (yes, a quadrilogy) more films set in the NJO times. This is in addition to any series. Besides, he's realized how much money there is in these films and sees a film franchise blossoming.

I have heard from Lucas himself (interviews) where he has gone both ways on this. So who knows? :confused:

The good news? He didn't write the scripts and he's not going to direct ever again.

Come on Timothy Zahn's writing with Bryan Singer as director! :cool:

(GL is no director)

You know what's funny? IMHO Empire was/is the best Star Wars movie, and he didn't write it (well the screenplay), or direct it.
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Exactly, he basically just oversaw ESB and RotJ...didn't write them or direct them. Lucas is no director....study his career.

As for more films, my source tells me that the quadrilogy scripts were, indeed, written by Zahn. Whether they'll make it into production or not...time will tell.

But I don't see Lucas walking away from allowing more films, and money, to be made, when all he'll have to do is sit back and let others do the work on them.

CE

But I don't see Lucas walking away from allowing more films, and money, to be made, when all he'll have to do is sit back and let others do the work on them.

I can live with that.

Like I said, long long ago, in a Toys R US far far away, I saw a figure of the Emperor, which read "Emperor Palpatine". That was the first time I had ever read that name and I had been following the progress of Star Wars since 1975 via Starlog magazine.

It was years after RotJ that I even knew the name Palpatine. There are many new fans of SW who's first real exposure was TPM and have only watched the films. I know I've had to explain some points of the original trilogy to people over the years as to what happened to all the Jedi, who the Emporor was, etc.

Whatever happens, movie or TV, this is by no means the 'last' Star Wars.

I agree totally. They are still producing video games (both Knights of the Old Republic are awsome games) and comics and books. Whether or not there is anything in TV or Movies only time will tell. Of course if this happens hopefully we wont have to wait another 22 years. :p

CE

PS: I have no doubt that RotS will be spectacular to watch (although why can't they make their "living" --ie: Yoda-- characters look less CG? LOTR did it.).

I, however, do not expect to give a shit about any of the characters (as GL has not made me care in that last two and doing so was crucial to making me care about them in the last film), and I'm sure the plot will be weak, and there will be more painfull dialogue that actors will have to step over along with the rest of their lines since they had no one actually directing them (GL is no director).

CE -- again.

I would like more SW, but without GL writing or directing, so this could be good news. Last night on 60 Minutes GL said that there would be no more Star Wars, but he has said in other interviews that there *would* be more. Hopefully the latter is true.

Tammy

(both Knights of the Old Republic are awsome games)

That's an understatement! I've only played the 1st one, but it might be one of the best RPG for PC I've ever played, great actors too!

And yes finding out the "truth" in that game TOTALY blind sided me, I had no idea! :eek:

I finally got around to watching the new trailer. I think the trailer is better than the first one we got. If the entire movie were like this trailer, it would totally kick ass. I'm sure I'll enjoy and I can't wait to see it.

As for future movies, I'd probably watch them either way, with or without Lucas. But I won't actually believe that until I have actual proof that it's in the process of being made (pics, etc.).

Damn I love this trailer. Just got me excited all over again. I'm shelving my doubts for now. They'll probably be something like Jar Jar or bad love dialog to screw things up but I won't dwell on the possibility.

Spoilers? If you couldn't tell Palpatine is the emp from episodes one and two you belong on the short bus. I don't mean disecting every frame either but just watching the movies in a state short of a drunken stupor.

By the way Jar Jar the poopmaster easily drops Episode I below Episode II in my eyes.

I'm shelving my doubts for now.

Yeah, me too. I won't judge until I've seen the final product.

They'll probably be something like Jar Jar or bad love dialog to screw things up but I won't dwell on the possibility.

Yeah, Jar Jar hasn't been in any of the trailers I've seen. Maybe his appearance will be limited like it was in AotC, but we all saw how he screwed that up (Emergency powers to the Supreme Chancellor).

Spoilers? If you couldn't tell Palpatine is the emp from episodes one and two you belong on the short bus. I don't mean disecting every frame either but just watching the movies in a state short of a drunken stupor.

Yeah, the only other thing I'm holding out for is that Palpatine could be a clone, but the way this new trailer looks it seems to disspell that notion.

Well, for the few of you who could wait until it's "fair" to see it, the trailer is now being played at StarWars.com

Now you can watch it with a clean conscience :)

He realized there was money in it a very long time ago -- and if you think he's only just now "seeing a franchise blossoming," then where the heck has he been for the last twenty years? This franchise blossomed years ago and has now begun to wilt.

As to more movies, he's been oscillating on that for just about as long. When ANH first came out, there was no "Episode IV: A New Hope" under the title, it was just "Star Wars." As soon as it was successful, Lucas dusted off his other scripts and said, "It's going to be nine!" Then it was six. Now it's ten? Right. Lucas has contradicted himself so many times over this that I won't believe another four movies for a while.

Which would at least salvage them a bit.

I don't just mean Jar Jar himself but something similar as well.

Maybe Grevious will be Rip Taylor/Charles Nelson Riley combo who constantly makes jokes about having to take a tinkle.

I am concerned. The trailer reveals that there is simply too much in this film. Lucas will devote at least a third of it to action, which we will feel completely detached from. That leaves no space for character, no space for narrative cohesion, and no space for non-expository dialogue.

What we will get instead is a two hour string of five-second vignettes, each of which will be visually perfect, exquisitely crafted, and over before we have any chance to become involved.

Overcrowding has been the problem ever since TPM attempted to follow the epic adventures of 10 major characters over 3 planets in the space of one 2 hour movie..

Overcrowding has been the problem ever since TPM attempted to follow the epic adventures of 10 major characters over 3 planets in the space of one 2 hour movie..
And that's different from the original trilogy... how...?

And as for character development ... jeez people, it's Star Wars, not frickin' Great Expectations. The character development in the new trilogy is no different than the old trilogy.

Luke went from a whiny kid to Jedi Knight just as quickly as Anakin went from charming little boy to angst-ridden teenager.

Leia went from snooty princess to freedom fighter just as quickly.

Han Solo went from crotchety-self-serving smuggler to aw-shucks-I-like-doing-the-right-thing hero within a 2-hour movie.

Chewbacca had zero character development. I doubt he'll get much in Episode III.

Ben Kenobi had zero character development. Now he's getting quite a bit.

Threepio and R2 had zero character development. Lots of things happen to them, but they stay the same. Threepio at the end of RotJ is the exact same character as Threepio in Anakin's bedroom in TPM.

I think the main problem some people today have with the new trilogy (and often movies in general) is that they're too old to detach from reality and get sucked into the movies like they did when they were kids... especially for those who know anything about the movie-making business. It's a problem I deal with all the time, but I've learned how to stop analyzing everything and just try to enjoy movies for what they are. The ones that can't get me to "suspend my reality" are the bad ones.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how long the thing is? RotJ was a little over two hours, and with the LotR movies getting longer and longer maybe GL has realized he can get it all in if he pads the length a bit.

(And how many abrreviations can I use in one paragraph?)

Yeah, LH has hit the nail on the head from my perspective. Many of the problems of the prequels are present in the originals. It's just that the prequels got to us while we were younger and less discerning.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back