• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek: Reboot The Universe

Sci-fi channel in the UK is showing TOS and all of the Trek movies this week. Watching Kirk, Scotty, Spock and Mcoy together in the series and then in the movies has just been great.

Their attitudes and personal conflicts towards all of the problems they faced is just a breath of fresh,( or rather, old) air after years of TNG and Voyager wibbling.

Its a very tricky thing to get right. I wonder if JMS's reboot would have managed it in the same way as the original. As for other current shows, I think the new BSG handles this level of personal difference quite well. The Adarma / Tigh / Starbuck dynamic is quite a good one.

In many ways, wasn't TNG a "re-telling" of the original series to some extent? Yes, it did take on its own identity from around s3 onwards, but the first two seasons were very much in the mould of TOS.

The difference being, of course, that when TOS first hit the screens it was unlike anything that had been done before, whereas when TNG hit the screens it was just re-treading some old ground. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed TNG, and there are still a few eps that I consider right up there among my favourite TVSF eps of all time (generally surrounded by B5 eps), but it wasn't really that much of its own animal.

DS9 was a different ... I enjoyed for the first couple of seasons, but then lost interest, as my interest in B5 intensified. Nothing against DS9, and not interested in the who-copied-whop arguments. I just found DS9 less and less interesting as time went on.

Voyager was potentially great, but a massive missed opportunity to the extent that within the first couple of episodes it became almost "Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Next Generation"

And I never really watched Enterprise, because I had just lost interest in ST completely by that point.

At this point, I don't think the world in general will miss ST for some time to come.

In many ways, wasn't TNG a "re-telling" of the original series to some extent? Yes, it did take on its own identity from around s3 onwards, but the first two seasons were very much in the mould of TOS.

Yes, exactly. And those two seasons, which were the most like TOS, are generally considered the worst.

Thing is, JJ Abrams has only confirmed he is involved, he hasn't confirmed actually directing, writing, or a storyline, so it's still possible the story won't have anything to do with Young Kirk. Has Matt damon grown enough as an actor to pull this off, if it's true? Or does he still just do the same old character in every movie? He seems like he's kinda short for the part, and not much younger than TOS Kirk.

Damon isn't a bad actor. He is certainly, by far, the superior actor of the pair that came up together (Damon and Affleck).

Damon is currently about the same age as Shatner was during TOS. However, Damon is one of those people who has a younger looking face. He could believably play someone several years younger. An Academy freshman probably wouldn't work. Someone just about to make the jump from a junior officer to somebody with some real responsibility (but still a couple steps from commanding a ship) wouldn't be beyond what one might be able to buy him playing.

Latest posts

Members online

Back