• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek: Reboot The Universe

Science fiction itself is about the future, imagination, wonder- all of which run counter to insisting on throwing the defribulators on Trek over and over again.

Reminds me of the movie Death Becomes Her with the Trek universe being either of the two women after they'd received some "damage." Sure they were alive, but look at what shape they were in. Patched together and with pancake makeup they looked like Frankenstein.

They should just let Trek <u>Rest in Peace</u>. Put the paddles down and just leave it alone.

I think instead of re-booting the Trek 'verse, they should instead come up with an original (not a remake, re-imagining, or renewed) idea and put JMS, Abrams or whomever on that project instead.

Ultimately I just think it comes down to money. I cant remember the exact amount but I swear I read at one time Trek was bringing in a gazillion dollars a year for Paramount with tv, movies, novels and merchandising. It's all about the cash more so than the actual fans. If the studio believes it can squeeze just a little bit more money out of people Im sure they will figure out a way to make a Trek project with or without any orignal members.

I would like it to end now before we end up with another Nemisis or Enterprise on our hands.

Well put, Johnny. Gazillion is not a recognized math term that I know of, though. ;)

Yea, the made mega-bucks (also not a recognized math term) and they want to see what else they can get.

Why go back? That disappointed me more than anything.

If you have to go back to Kirk, Spock, etc, you've lost it before it even started, as far as I'm concerned.

Star Trek doesn't need "down time" nearly as much as it needs new ideas. Every restart I hear of is hanging on like a spoiled child to what others have done in the past in this genre.

I just got "Tales of Tomorrow" on DVD and I'm finding it more entertaining than Enterprise ever was. :LOL:

Good old USA 1950's paranoid science fiction... you just gotta love it. :D

Yea, it's funny. DS9 was my favorite of the new Trek shows, precisely because it wasn't as sterile. But, alot of the hard core trekkies like it the least precisely because it wasn't as sterile as the rest of them. Trekkies like the "always getting along" and "everything always works out, usually within that hour"

Yea, it's funny. DS9 was my favorite of the new Trek shows, precisely because it wasn't as sterile. But, alot of the hard core trekkies like it the least precisely because it wasn't as sterile as the rest of them. Trekkies like the "always getting along" and "everything always works out, usually within that hour"

I don't know if that's quite fair. TOS was anything but "sterile." Kirk was on every away mission, very hands on. The camera work was dynamic for its time and budget. It was TNG that was "sterile."

I bet the older Trek fans, the ones raised on Kirk, not Picard, didn't like DS9 because it has nothing to do with what Star Trek was about.

Yes DS9 had great characters and stories and drama and grey-area blahbadeeblah whatever, fine, but original Trek used likeable characters as a tool to tell a greater story.

There already are shows that deeply explore the individual... Gilmore Girls or whatever crap my sister and gf like. We socially awkward dorks need time travel and parallel universes and vortexes and some obvious parallel to our world telling us that racism is bad and the like.

Gilmore Girls or whatever crap my sister and gf like.

Hey, let's watch it with the Gilmore Girls cracks. :) The show has some of the best writing on television and Lauren Graham is hot. And yes I do have all five seasons on DVD. You wanna make something of it? :mad:

(A serious guilty pleasure, what can I say? One of the few shows I have on DVD where I actually watch the opening credits because a) the theme is taken from a really good Carol King song and b) there's this one shot of Lauren bopping down the stairs in a pair of short shorts...)

Regards,

Joe

GKE, you missed the NEW part of the "New Series". TOS wasn't considered in my statement. I was speaking of fans of TNG forward. I should've made that more clear throughout the rest of my post by reiterating a couple more times with "New Hardcore Trekkies" and "New Trekkies"

GKE, you missed the NEW part of the "New Series". TOS wasn't considered in my statement. I was speaking of fans of TNG forward. I should've made that more clear throughout the rest of my post by reiterating a couple more times with "New Hardcore Trekkies" and "New Trekkies"

Sorry. I was trying to use your statement to highlight what I see as the New Trek Paradox (the more non-Trek it is, the more entertaining it is) to thus prove my thesis that any more new Trek is freakin' retarded.

Joe,
:LOL:
Gilmore Girls. :LOL:

Though Lauren Graham is lovely. I watch Bad Santa when I need my fill of her. She gets drunk, has sex, and wears skirts. Plus the flick is funny and has a midget.

"Fuck me Santa, fuck me Santa, fuck me Santa!"

bet the older Trek fans, the ones raised on Kirk, not Picard, didn't like DS9 because it has nothing to do with what Star Trek was about.

Yes DS9 had great characters and stories and drama and grey-area blahbadeeblah whatever, fine, but original Trek used likeable characters as a tool to tell a greater story.
I was "raised on Kirk, not Picard" ..... and I liked DS9.

It was its own show. But it leveraged the fact that it was set in the Trek universe to good effect. The fact that we, the audiance, already had so much backstory in our heads about Klingon Empire vs. Federation vs. Romulan Empire saved them the need for a *ton* of exposition and groundwork laying. However, they still got all of the depth behind their political frictions and intrigues that normally wouldn't be there without taking all of that time laying all of that ground work. (As a parallel, being in the Trek universe meant that they didn't have to do the equivalent geo-political lessons that B5 spent a fair amount S1 giving the audiance.)

Yea, in fairness, I was a kid when Star Trek (TOS) captivated me. I blame much of my future on Mr. Spock. ;)

I adored TNG and loved DS9. And I was so excited about the concept of Voyager! Finally, a female captain. Oh, a vessle stranded in another quadrant because the captain made a decision. A Maquis crew. The first Native American character, and one who has struggled with his spirituality in the past. A disgraced pilot. Wow. Powerful stuff.

What happened? :confused:

I bet the older Trek fans, the ones raised on Kirk, not Picard, didn't like DS9 because it has nothing to do with what Star Trek was about.

....but original Trek used likeable characters as a tool to tell a greater story.

Well, that's me, but I didn't like DS9 because for a long while, it seemed to be going nowhere, and was populated by quite a few damned annoying characters. Add the parallels to the heartburn-that-never-goes-away Middle East, and what's to like? Not much. If I want to be pissed off and annoyed, I'll watch the news and hear about the latest suicide bomber who thinks they're going to go to heaven for blowing themselves up and taking as many others with them as possible, or the latest bullshit announcement from Al-Queda, or nuclear news from Iran and North Korea.

Yes, I'll take TOS and TNG over that crap any day. I get more than enough annoyance and frustration in my everyday life, and I have no need for it in my entertainment as well, thank you. This is one of the reasons that comedy is so damned important. When the frustrations of everyday life get to be too much, know what I pop in the DVD player? A Mel Brooks movie (e.g. "Young Frankenstein" or "Dracula Dead and Loving It") or the "Bruce Almighty" Steve Carell newscasting scenes where Jim Carrey makes him speak gibberish, or the outtake where he makes Steve's hair go up in flames, or an episode of Two and a Half Men.

Though Lauren Graham is lovely. I watch Bad Santa when I need my fill of her. She gets drunk, has sex, and wears skirts. Plus the flick is funny and has a midget.

"Fuck me Santa, fuck me Santa, fuck me Santa!"
I LOVE that movie... but none of my friends seem to understand just what it is about that flick that makes me laugh so hard I shoot whatever it is I'm drinking out my nose...

...I really need to remember to stop drinking anything at ALL during the "boxing match"...

I'll tell you what makes that movie so damn funny... Billy Bob Thorton. He is so much like post-SNL Bill Murray to me.

What happened? :confused:

It sucked. :D

Frank Capra once explained how to make a successful film in one line:

"Give 'em somebody to care about." That's what it comes down to. There should be at least one, preferably several, likeable characters in any series who we can root for, rather than just rooting against the bad guys. Put another way, "Give 'em somebody to like." To my way of thinking neither DS9 nor Voyager had many characters I could simply like and root for and look forward to spending an hour with every week. Doom 'n' Gloom Sisko had all of Sinclair's weaknesses and none of his strengths. The only half-way interesting characters were the Cardassians, Dukhat and that tailor/spy, and only one of them was really likable. Everyone else was either boring or seriously annoying. Voyager was much the same except the interesting non-human characters were the Doctor and the Borg Babe. (And yes, catsuit asisde I thought T of A was a more genuinely interesting person with curiosity and conflicts and a point of view than her more robotic peers. And Neelix just made me want to go skinny-dipping in a live volcano.)

I liked the crew of the original Enterprise. They were fun. You wanted to hang out with them. I tolerated the crew of the Enterprise-E. I couldn't stand most of the subsequent crews. When your most interestiing characters are supporting players, you've got problems. I really liked the people of B5. Who would you rather have over for dinner? There isn't a regular or even major recurring character from B5 that I wouldn't choose over just about anyone from the Treks. Picard might have some interesting things to say about Shakespeare or classical music, but I suspect I'd have to keep plenty of coffee on hand. Now picture dinner with Londo or G'Kar. Londo and G'Kar! :) It is simply no contest.

Regards,

Joe

I found 7 of 9 painfully dull. Yet another "I am so plagued by not lacking emotions/not being in touch with my emotions" character .. bleh. And the cat suit REALLY pissed me off :D .. I have no problems with adult content on shows, but the way Trek in recent years was feeding on the wanking teenaged fans .. *thinks of the decontamination gangbang scenes on Enterprise* *pukes a bit*

But then, I never really cared about the crew of the Enterprise either. I didn't care/like Riker and Troi .. Worf got on my nerves quite strongly eventually with all the Klingon "honour! guaaaa!!" stuff .. Yar just seemed hammy in the one season she did, Pulaski just seemed like a weak try at replicating the chemistry McCoy had with Spock .. Wesley needs no comment .. and I'm really not a real Trekkie in the sense that I never found Data too inspiring either. I liked Crusher and Picard, Geordi was the only main character on the show I would have actually wanted to hang out with. I still loved the show though, as its stories were fun, inspiring, and not always predictable, moralistic and stupid .. Something that Voyager stories generally failed at, from those that I saw.

Frank Capra once explained how to make a successful film in one line:

"Give 'em somebody to care about."

He should've then added, "then add every cliche in the book and a healthy serving of glurge."

But I gotta stick up for one DS9 character- O'Brien, the ultimate likeably guy. That's why they gave him a bunch of standalone eps where he gets imprisoned and/or tortured.

Picard might have some interesting things to say about Shakespeare or classical music, but I suspect I'd have to keep plenty of coffee on hand.

Picard is a dick. Especially in the first couple of seasons- he yells at children, gets all snitty and arrogant and harumphs his way everywhere, and I just wish Kirk would've punched him off that horse in Generations. The only cool cat in TNG was Riker.

The only cool cat in TNG was Riker.
You mean of the full time regulars.

Because if you ask me which one character from all of TNG I would want at that dinner party with Londo and G'Kar ..... with absolutely no hesitation I jump directly to Kaylar (or however that name is spelled; Alexander's mother).

She would actually be a lot of fun to mix in with Londo and G'Kar.

Heck, when she was in the room Worf could even become amusing to watch at times.

Of course, she only appeared in 2 or 3 episodes before they went and killed her off.

The "crew that you like to spend the time with" was one of the biggest strengths of Firefly, IMHO. (I mean, sure, you periodically want to slap Jayne silly ...... but what the heck.)

Ditto on 7, Chii ...zzzzzz....
Gorgeous to look at but annoying and boring as soon as she starts yapping.
In other words, a girlfriend.

Funny thing when I think about the who-I'd-want-to-spend-time with deal... the B5 characters actually lag behind Firefly and Farscape and such, and yet it's easily my favorite show of all time. Same thing with my current TV obsession, Deadwood. Some of them are funny but I hate them all as people and they disgust me and I watch each new episode three times before the next one airs with childish glee.

Maybe I'm a masochist, which would explain all those boring annoying girlfriends...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back