• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

S2 at number4

Cerberus

Regular
Season 2 DVDs are ranked number 4 at both Amazon Canada and US.

It would be nice if these numbers could spike some interest with WB for a major motion picture. I guess only time will tell. :confused:

Cerberus

Number 6 at Amazon UK and it's only pre-order.

About the motion picture: I am almost sure the WB will stay calm. No interest at all.

Does anyone other than Amazon care about their sales rank? I don't mean to be rude but I am just curious if it means anything to the studios. I always thought Amazon's sales rank didn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things. :(

I know it really doesn't mean much, but it is fun to watch and compare it to other items selling at the same time. Currently it is at number 4 and it has hovered around that number for many days now. I also remember looking at it over the months and it has stayed around 40-70. I think it is just a fun way to look at the data, granted we don't have true sales or anything of the sort; however, I think you can get a general idea of how the sales are going by looking at these numbers relative to other products selling at the same time.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cerberus

Does anyone remember if the Star Trek: The Next Generation sets were this high up the sales rankings? If its making WB this much money why can't they give us nice pristine transfers with no grain?

I think they were something like #20 at best.I really dont think that ST boxsets sell much better than B5 boxsets because they are much more expensive. B5 sets might even outsell ST sets.

I know its not Amazon, but I programmed the CDnow Top 100 page and trust me, the people in the merchandising department kept constant track of the top sellers in each genre and overall when looking what to promote through promos and features on the genre pages. I'm sure things at Amazon are much the same.

-Tim

I have heard the grain is actually on the film.

True, film is grainy, that's its nature. But out of the two eps I've watched so far on the S2 box set, the quality is noticably bad. There's no reason for them to be that way, the TV broadcast episodes were of better quality.
The quality could and should be better.

I also recall that jms said a lot of the scratches are 'lost' when brodcast, but because of the quailty of DVD, all will show up

I am curious. Is this a problem that is B5 specific? Or are there similar problems with other DVD's made of 1990 television episodes?

the TV broadcast episodes were of better quality.

Actually the TV broadcasts have much less resolution, and that conceals a multitude of sins. It isn't that the grain isn't there, it is that the image isn't sharp enough to show the grain. And yes this affects a great many shows. (Paramount had to spend a ton of money digitally fixing up ST: TOS for broadcast on the Sci-Fi Channel, and they had to remove a great many flaws from the original film footage from "The Trouble with Tribbles" that was later incorporated into "Trials and Tribbleations" on DS9. Even broadcast equipment had improved so much in 30 years taht "no problem" flaws like coffee stains on Spock's uniform, which never showed up on 60s and 70s era videotape, was suddenly visible. TV stations around the country are going nuts preparing for hi-definition broadcasts - all those news and local talk show sets that looked perfectly good in NTSC suddenly look like the crap they are in HD.)

Regards,

Joe

TV stations around the country are going nuts preparing for hi-definition broadcasts - all those news and local talk show sets that looked perfectly good in NTSC suddenly look like the crap they are in HD.

:LOL: Thats got to be the funniest thing I have heard all day

At the moment:
rank #2 at amazon.com
rank #1 at amazon.ca
rank #4 at amazon.co.uk
rank #10 at amazon.de

Not bad imo :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back