• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Question about Psi-Corp Trilogy Book Finale

That was poor choice of wording on my part.

What i'm essentially addressing is the difference in where we see the point at something is considered wrong... occurs.

Some would say at the point of intent, but I wouldn't agree.

You seem to believe that it as at the point of consequence.

I would say that it is at the point a person acts upon their intent.

It doesn't matter whether I got caught or not... the point is I still chose to act in a negative manner towards someone. Still acted in a way in which i would hope nobody would treat me.

Hmm this is beginning to sound like that daft philosophical question:

"If a tree falls in a wood and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

I always preferred the alternate version of that: "If a tree falls in a wood, does anybody care?"

I hear you on the motives thing, Galahad. Lennier's line in "Comes the Inquisitor" rings very true with me.

It doesn't matter whether I got caught or not... the point is I still chose to act in a negative manner towards someone. Still acted in a way in which i would hope nobody would treat me.

Well, I never said it was healthy to hate someone that much.

That was poor choice of wording on my part.

What i'm essentially addressing is the difference in where we see the point at something is considered wrong... occurs.

Some would say at the point of intent, but I wouldn't agree.

You seem to believe that it as at the point of consequence.

I would say that it is at the point a person acts upon their intent.

Actually I still disagree with your interpretation of things. The way you describe things there still assumes there is some inherent 'wrongness' in the concept of the act, even if only hypothetical. You're essentially saying that:

- Some people would say the intent to do this 'wrong' thing is bad, but you disagree

- That I believe the badness is in the negative consequences of the 'wrong' act

- And you believe the carrying out of the 'wrong' act is bad.

Whereas I don't have any concept of something being 'wrong' unless it has a negative impact on someone, or is intended to. So actually I fall under your first definition in a way.

If the intent is to cause harm to someone, then I would classify that as wrong, which is why I can agree with people being prosecuted for attempted murder. Where I fall on the issue at hand is that no-one could be harmed by the act in question (assuming as I do that the deceased has no awareness or sentient existence after death, and assuming that the family of the deceased were not in a position to know about the deed), and therefore neither the intent, the execution, or the consequences (since they seem to amount at most to an internet discussion! :) ) could in any way be 'wrong'.

A little strange, perhaps. But not wrong.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back