• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

paramount stole it .........

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Other than get the DS9 pilot on the air before B5, how did Paramount try to stiffle B5?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Other than the things already mentioned, you can also think about how DS9 was set up. Both DS9 and B5 were syndicated shows being shopped to stations at the same time. They have similar premises, but one comes with a proven franchise name whilst the other is brand new. If you're an independent station battling the network affiliates, which one are you going to go for?

I think the only thing that bugs me about the whole DS9/B5 thing is that there are still Trek fans out there who still believe that B5 was a rip-off of DS9, and they've never seen it because of that belief.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I do not for a moment believe that Into The Fire was anti-climatic. But that's just my opinion. If you want to split hairs though, it wasn't anti-climatic. You might have found it *disappointing*, but that in itself doesn't make it *anti-climatic*.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yet, PsionTen said, "HOWEVER, just because its anti-climatic doesn't mean that I don't think its damn good. It's damn good and its anti-climatic."

I don't think he ever said he was disappointed with it, so why are we arguing?

------------------
It's the quiet ones who change the universe. The loud ones only take the credit.

In regards from Paramount pressure to smother B5, I just stumbled across another tidbit at JMSNews.com. A friend of my who used to work for another science fiction magazine can confirm this (don't want to name him or the magazine). He was a Trek fan, and this came up in our conversations. Know this, many Trek fans share B5 fans' dislike of Paramount.

------------------
It's the quiet ones who change the universe. The loud ones only take the credit.

And in regard to Paramount stealing, or at least co-opting, B5 in putting together DS9 and JMS refraining from filing a lawsuit over the matter, here's another tidbit from JMS News.

In a later post JMS gave two other reasons for not suing Paramount: 1) He might have to spend so much time meeting with lawyers, giving depositions and spending time in court for hearings, etc, that B5 would suffer. 2) Hollywood being the kind of closed-ecosystem that it is, exectutives currently at Paramount might end up at other studios and cause him grief on future projects. Why burn bridges? (In fact, I believe Paramount is co-financing Jeremiah with MGM these days.
smile.gif
)

In my view the notion that electing not to file a lawsuit "proves" that there was no case or abrogrates your right to complain about the injury is absurd. To sue or not to sue is a decision made on prudential grounds. That doesn't mean that either JMS or the fans need to be happy about what happened, or remain silent about it.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited January 25, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>In my view the notion that electing not to file a lawsuit "proves" that there was no case or abrogrates your right to complain about the injury. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's the case, then why does JMS continue to complain?

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

Who said JMS was complaining? He posted his comments on usenet in reply

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

Sorry, but when a person keeps explaining why he didn't file a lawsuit to something where the statute of limitations has long since run, I would call that complaining.

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

[This message has been edited by PsionTen (edited January 25, 2002).]

Ya know, I sit in judgment of all the lameass DS9 fanboys who sit around and unjustifiably bash B5. But it appears there are just as many B5 fanboys who sit around and unjustifiably bash DS9. I'm not talking about the topic of this thread, which will always be a subject of debate and controversy, but more the broad generalizations from people who sound like they've never even seen the show. Both shows have their strengths and their weaknesses. Personally, I favor B5 much more and always will. But bitterness and anger don't change the fact that DS9 was also a very good show in many ways. Can't the two franchises get along? It reminds me of the idiots that sit around and try to compare Star Trek to Star Wars. What a waste of energy.

Oh, and Paramount did steal the basic premise of B5.
smile.gif

das

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
And in regard to Paramount stealing, or at least co-opting, B5 in putting together DS9 and JMS refraining from filing a lawsuit over the matter, here's another tidbit from JMS News.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, JdM, that was the quote I was originally looking for, just couldn't find it somehow, even though I *knew* it was there...they really need more search options on JMSNews.com... :~)

------------------
"Accept life's futility and the decimal elegance of the metric system. One meter: three foot, ballpark." -- Norbert, "The Angry Beavers"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Sorry, but when a person keeps explaining why he didn't file a lawsuit to something where the statute of limitations has long since run, I would call that complaining.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, since he doesn't "keep explaining" that, I guess he's not complaining, and you have no beef with him, right?

That quote is from years ago. JMS almost never raises the subject himself anymore. He does answer questions on it from time to time (although I haven't seen one recently) and if the question is "why didn't you sue?" then he explains.

And the question wouldn't come up if DS9 fans, to this day, didn't keep saying that B5 is nothing more than a rip-off of DS9 because DS9 came first.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

my brother is a star treak fan. die hard. every episode from the 1st OST to the last of TNG. even he agrees that Babylon Five kicked DS9 ass when it came to story, set, battles, ships, and just about everything else. he tought ds9 was cheep and rushed so he didn't really get into it.

------------------
"Would it be wrong, would it be right, if i took my life to night? Chances are that i might." -Papa Roach-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>He does answer questions on it from time to time (although I haven't seen one recently) and if the question is "why didn't you sue?" then he explains.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You say tomato, I say tomatoe. Because he puts it under the guise of "answering questions" makes him even more suspect in my opinion. Jeez, how many times can you answer the same question anyway? I will say again for the last time: the guy had his shot at "justice" and he didn't take it. He should just shut up already. Maybe if he spent as much time writing as he does bitching to his fans, then maybe LOTR could have been a better film.

------------------

if the fans stopped asking, then he would stop 'bitching' as you inaccurately put it...

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>if the fans stopped asking, then he would stop 'bitching' as you inaccurately put it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if he's stop bitching, then maybe the fans would stop 'asking' as you inaccurately put it...

------------------

My mind is made up.
Do not annoy me with facts or logic.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Would to God that were true...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh its true Joe... there's only room for one Mr. Know-It-All and I've never liked the benefits package. Jobs all yours.

------------------

hmmm...

PsionTen, Power_of_Ten ... similar names, similar asinine tendency to contradict himself while maintaining that he's right, same tendency to not back down even when it's obvious he's just trying to start a flame war... has the wool been lifted?

Only difference is that PsionTen doesn't curse worse than any sailor, but that could be because that's how Power_of_Ten got banned from this site, IIRC. So, he decides to come back as "PsionTen," who hides behind a "hey, whatever" facade. If it were genuine, he'd leave us to our opinion as we'd leave him to his, and move on. Just because we don't live in his little world, he designs his posts to elicit an emotional response from people. (And no, this isn't directed at PsionTen to get a response, because I won't read it.)

I already told him I'm ignoring him from now on... so did GKarsEye. There are better things to talk about here...

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

Well, said LH. Think I'll join you.

Arguments and discussions stem from using logic to justify your stance. If the other side refuses to use logic, what point is there in arguing anymore?

Odd thing that I'm reading this thread at about the same time I'm reading about all the stalkers and flamers that were chasing JMS around and annoying him on rastb5, and all the "arguments" and "facts" *they* were using...

--mcn

Well, I don't like PsionTen much either. But I will give him credit for actually using logic (well, eventually when he was bombasted with arguments) in a debate once.

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

Please do not Feed the Energy Creature.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back