• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

One last hope for new B5 on TV

The only thing an online petition/campaing might achieve is showing the network that there is a small community of dedicated Internet-savvy fans. But they already know that the show has some fans, including some dedicated ones, as every show has those.

I wouldn't call such attempts laughable or ridiculous though, at least it gives the participants a feeling of "having done something" instead of just sitting and feeling utterly useless, but I do have to agree that they most likely don't count at all.

I feel writing a letter and mailing it to Scifi (Bonnie Hammer) would achieve better results. If she received 10 to 15 thousand letters in the next few weeks all written by fans and not in a form letter you could down load from the Internet, I think that would speak volumes over an online petition. I sent my letter off today. Some you may laugh, but I thanked her for commissioning the movie and tried to re-enforce how much potential there is for a "Rangers"/"Crusade" series. I suggested that they should replay the movie sometime in the near future and see what happens. This may be all for not, but it is better than doing nothing.

Bonnie Hammers address is:

Ms. Bonnie Hammer
President
Sci-fi Channel
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, New York
10020-1513

Anyways, my to cents for what’s worth.

Cerberus

Unfortunately for Ms. Hammer, I could also see her getting death threats. /ubbthreads/images/icons/eek.gif

Just kidding. I don't think anyone would go that far, but I do think she'd get a lot of angry letters telling her how wrong us fans think Sci Fi was to pass up on Rangers.

Yes, writing to Bonnie is a good idea, but don't make it really negative--that wouldn't work. Try to be polite.

Tammy

Scifi is more than just Bonnie Hammer, she had her car wrapped and I think she was pulling for the show. However, there is a lot more to creating a show than just one person. You have to negotiate with WB over the price and you have to get the advertisers onboard. I think Scifi also got hit with a big bill because of the ratings (I believe it was due to the football game, other people feel different and that the football game perhaps was not the overriding issue). Whatever the reason, Scifi got hurt and they--I believe--are apprehensive/scared to take a chance on Rangers. Therefore, I think Bonnie must be objective about it. There are so many intangibles that you can look at on the plus side:

* JMS track record with Babylon 5 and keeping the show on budget.
* The re-run ratings with Crusade
* Jeremiah is out pulling StarGate in the ratings.
* I sure there are many other I cannot think of.

All this should be very good; however, kind of abstract.

On the downside:

* If Polaris is not an alias for “Rangers”, he will be busy doing Polaris for Scifi
* Jeremiah is taking a large amount of his time and energy.
* With all his other works, maybe Scifi felt he would have trouble doing “Rangers” at this time.
* TNT

I am just trying to be realistic but man am I bummed.

Cerberus

What would be the use of making "Rangers" under a pseudonym? It was pretty much common knowledge that TLADIS was a backdoor pilot...

No, I think Polaris is an entirely different show indeed.

I agree, it's just that I had just seen posts on this board and other saying perhaps it was an alias. My main point is that if it was not an alias then he is working on yet another show/project outside of the ones we are sure about.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gkarfan:
Yes, writing to Bonnie is a good idea, but don't make it really negative--that wouldn't work. Try to be polite.

Tammy<hr></blockquote>
Not only wont' it work, but such letters are thrown out, I believe. I think I heard that on another letter-writing campaign: most stations automatically throw out "hate mail".

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I agree, it's just that I had just seen posts on this board and other saying perhaps it was an alias. <hr></blockquote>

Wishful (and addled) thinking on somebody's part. JMS would have no reason to suddenly come up with a "code name" for a Rangers series after openly discussing it for nearly a year. Nor would he have pronounced Rangers dead while still talking about Polaris as a project in development. He can be deliberately obscure in his posts, and sometimes he likes to play with fan's heads (as when they're trying to figure out a plot point or mystery), but he's not just plain sadistic.

Right now I don't think there is anything we or anyone else can do about any future B5 projects. Sci-Fi isn't interested, and they have the exclusive on the original series. No one is going to touch a sequel if they don't have that. The decision has been made for now, and since we have no say in the matter, we're just going to have to live with it.

Does this mean that B5 is dead for all time? Probably not. The reruns will continue to air on one network or another, the DVDs will sell, the Del Rey books will stay in print for awhile at least. Eventually it will become a "nostalgia" item, or another SF film will break box office records and somebody at Warner Bros. will say, "Waitaminnit, don't we own something like that?" If Battlestar Galactica of all things can get a new lease on life, and something as obscure as The Prisoner can be made into a feature film, there's always hope for more B5, someday, and in some form. But not today.

Regards,

Joe

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by drakh:
<font color=yellow>Now, why couldn't people have listened when I was saying these things...?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Because there was no harm in trying. And it probably made people feel better about things knowing that they were doing something to help. The fact that it may not have had an impacted doesnt matter, its that some people did their best to help out. You can bet that a lot of people feel better merely for trying. It made the waiting easier.

Here is another person to write if you wish:

Mr. Thomas Vitale
Senior V.P. of Acquisitions, Scheduling and Programming Planning
The Sci-Fi Channel
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020-1513

I am not sure if letters will help but here is an address. ( try to stay somewhat positive)

Cerberus

we may not get something today, but, if we keep it in their minds, they will eventually make (or retry) a sequel to the original that will make it.

Back