• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

One last hope for new B5 on TV

WarpPig

Well, our best hope of a new series - Rangers - seems to have failed. But perhaps not nescessarily our last hope. It's been talked about on - and - off for years now, but there may still be a chance for a B5 theatrical movie. If that came about, there could be sufficient fresh interest generated in the B5 universe to trigger a new series (think Buffy for the best-case scenario). Such a movie could perhaps heavily feature the rangers (Lennier could well be a major player), perhaps reviving hope for the rangers series. Who knows, even the Excalibur might crop up again at some point.
I'll admit it's a long shot, but I can't ever give up hope!

Warpy

If there is not enough interest to pull off a series in scifi's eyes I doubt WB would think there is enough interest for a movie. While B5 may be important to us to most people it was a small, cult, scfi show that wasn't star trek. All these serve to to narrow the possible audience. I can understand why no one is dying to make a movie.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Doctor Gonzo:
<font color=yellow>If there is not enough interest to pull off a series in scifi's eyes I doubt WB would think there is enough interest for a movie. While B5 may be important to us to most people it was a small, cult, scfi show that wasn't star trek. All these serve to to narrow the possible audience. I can understand why no one is dying to make a movie.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

But at one point Star Trek (the original series) was only a "small, cult, scifi show". Then came the series of movies
and Paramount (and Roddenberry) wanted an another Star Trek -show which eventually became The Next Generation. So the movie could be possible at some point. And after the movie... well, who knows.

Regards,
TheInfection

To many people today Star Trek is *still* a cult TV show. Nothing special. And the fans are just wierd..

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheInfection:
<font color=yellow>But at one point Star Trek (the original series) was only a "small, cult, scifi show". Then came the series of movies</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>The movies came about because the ratings of the Star Trek reruns showed that it had grown beyond a "small, cult, scifi show" in syndication, and the success of Star Wars convinced the suits there was a market for scifi films.

Same way the solid ratings of the B5 reruns got SciFi interested in Legend of the Rangers.

Since JMS admitted that Rangers failed because it was up against football playoffs & got clobbered, I actually want to try to get Rangers back on SFC as a series or get them to do something else in the B5 universe. I think the decision was unfair. We never got to decide if we wanted Rangers--it was decided for us because of that timeslot. I think it's time for us to let Bonnie Hammer know that the ratings for the movie don't tell the *real* story of how well Rangers would do on SFC. I don't think we should just let this go. Soon, I will have a webpage up at AOL, where I am now at. I want to use this page to try & reverse the SFC decision. Surely they could pick up Rangers to replace some series they decided to cancel!

Tammy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PsionTen:
<font color=yellow>Speaking of Bonnie Hammer, didn't all of you guys chip in and buy her a Christmas present?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm! Good idea. Hemlock tea, perhaps?

How about buying her a vile of something like the Drakh plague? /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

As to a B5 movie, I think it would be really cool, but I just don't see it happening, at least not on Sci Fi. If they rejected a Ranger series, I can't see them playing a part in another B5 tele movie.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PsionTen:
<font color=yellow>Speaking of Bonnie Hammer, didn't all of you guys chip in and buy her a Christmas present?</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I certainly didn't... I never have and never will respect that.... woman

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr> I certainly didn't... I never have and never will respect that.... woman <hr></blockquote>

That's what I like to hear. When I pretty much said it was a dumb thing to give her a present back in December, everybody jumped down my throat. Whatever it was that you people (not you LH) got her, I hope it was cheap, plastic and made in Taiwan.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>LondosHair wrote:
<font color=yellow>I certainly didn't... I never have and never will respect that.... woman</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote> I have a healthy degree of respect for her. While we may assume that she did not risk her position to help <font color=yellow>Rangers</font color=yellow>, we cannot expect that either. In addition, we may be sure that she did help, but in a limited manner.

Neither presents nor the Drakh plague would be reasonable choices. Remember that we are dealing with a company executive. Unless staff and consumers make them do differently, companies will continue to live in the world of profit and loss.

The best way to convince a TV network is by proving that something attracts audience, earns profit and is generally a good idea. Besides the airings of B5 and Crusade, our next big chance to influence such matters is when the first season DVD disks are published.

Has anyone considered putting an online petition up? I've never known these things to do a whole lot of good, but if it got enough signatures, it could show Sci-Fi that there is an audience. B5 has a fairly large fanbase, and I'd guess a well promoted campaign could get a fair number of signatures.

Hmm.. I don't know. Just an idea.

(Worth a shot, I figure.)

Well, for a show like B5, the audience is mainly geeks. Geeks know computers damn well. Well enough to fake an online poll and make it beleiveable.
I am a geek, I can fake an online poll well enough for it to be beleivable. But I know it's useless, it needs to be done IRL, no one respects the web.

I think you mean vial, although it would be rather vile. Maybe we could give her a Keeper, then we'd have as many seasons of B5LR as we wanted!

Originally posted by Dulann:
<font color=yellow>Has anyone considered putting an online petition up?</font color=yellow>

Read the post from JMS about letter writing campaigns that I posted in <a target="_blank" href=http://www.b5lr.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=75399&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&vc=1>this thread</a>

If he says Letter Campaigns arent that effective (which I participated in even though I doubted how much it would help) I have to believe Online campaings are even farther off the network radar screens...

Star Trek was a network show originally. It came out when there weren't five hundred channels to choose from. As much as I love B5 it was a syndicated show that was in doubt to be renewed each season. B5 is also not ingrained into popular culture the way ST was at any point in its existence.

Letters are almost worthless. Anything online is completely worthless.

On-line campaigns are utterly useless. Letter writing barely ever does something, if anything at all. On-line petitions get laughed at, and I don't blame them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back