• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: B5LR trailer showings in the US

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
I just read the latest post from JMS which referred readers to B5LR for a list of the movie houses where the Rangers trailer will be shown.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I just got an email with his post too. Good to know JMS lurks around here or at least has someone keeping tabs on what goes on around here.
wink.gif

Here is the full post (addresses hidden in case any spam bots find this page) for those of you who didn't get a chance to read it:

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 04:22:26 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [B5JMS] Attn JMS: Well, LotR:FotR is out. What do you think?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Date: 20 Dec 2001 02:13:58 -0800

Judging from your recent posts, I don't understand where you get the time to sleep and eat, much less the time to wade through cinema crowds to sit through a 3-hour epic.

But for obvious reasons... if you *have* seen Peter Jackson's film...

What do you think?

- ck

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Date: 26 Dec 2001 04:51:57 GMT

Saw it yesterday afternoon (with Harlan, who was there to review it for F&SF) at a theater in Sherman Oaks, and it's about as perfect a movie as I've ever seen. It was everything I hoped it would be, and just what I always saw in my mind's eye as I read the books.

I will almost certainly go back to see it again, especially once they begin running the trailer for The Two Towers sometime later in the run.

(BTW, the B5-Rangers trailers will start running the 28th of December at 800 theaters showing LoTR; a full listing of theaters can be found at b5lr.com.)

jms

(jmsatb5@a...)
(all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)

------------------
Monica Hübinette | monica.hubbe.net | The Abyss : B5
"Ah, you seek meaning?" -- "Yes." -- Then listen to the music, not the song. --Ambassador Kosh & Talia Winters

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited December 26, 2001).]

The only way they could possibly mean top ten markets is by state, since the trailer is showing in the upper peninsula of Michigan, not exactly a populous place. It is showing in a theater on the other side of town from me, the newest in the area, but with no screens as big as the humongous one, nearer me, where I saw LOTR. Still, it might be worth it, just to see B5 on the big screen!

------------------
You're speaking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Maid Marian
Fluently! Errol Flynn as Robin Hood
You're talking treason! Olivia De Havilland as Arabella Bishop
I trust I'm not obscure. Errol Flynn as Dr. Peter Blood

Pallindromes of the month: Snug was I, ere I saw guns.
Doom an evil deed, liven a mood.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jade Jaguar:
The only way they could possibly mean top ten markets is by state, since the trailer is showing in the upper peninsula of Michigan, not exactly a populous place. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My slightly-but-not-very-educated guess would be that they went for the top ten markets and got additional theatres in other places due to "package deals" from common ownership or whatever.

Also, looking at the list, it appears they may have used Nielsen's DMAs as their market definitions, and they can seem quite odd unless you know how they're defined.

By the way, does anybody have any idea what the bold entries on that list represent?

------------------
-- Marty

Ugh, the theater I already saw it in will be showing it and the one I'll probably go to to see it again isn't. We went to the first one hoping it would be a better theater than the closer one but it wasn't.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

Well, I went to see LOTR at one of the theatres in Austin reputed to be showing the trailer. No such animal appeared.
frown.gif

Wonder how SciFi checks up on these things. Any suggestions on how to let them know?

Loved the movie again, though. I expect I'll see it a couple more times before the run is through.

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Wow, one of the two theatres in the town 8 miles north of me is playing the trailer. I never knew that would happen. I highly doubted even St. Louis would get the trailer, and I get it in my own back yard! I guess I'll have to see LotR again...
smile.gif

------------------
Do you dare to enter tygirwulf's Lair?

We are all the sum of our tears - too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much and the best of us is washed away. - G'Kar

Friendly advice:

Don't go unless you honestly want to see Lord of the Rings.

The list may not be entirely accurate. Someone I know noted that one of the theaters listed near them wasn't there anymore.

Most importantly, none of us are the target audience. The idea of buying advertising in movie theatres is not to get all of us to go to the movie. The target audience is people who DON'T KNOW ABOUT B5:LR--People who don't watch the SciFi Channel enough to see the constant promos there and people who don't follow B5 news closely. There are millions of people out there that meet that description.

Because the target doesn't know about B5:LR, the trailer may very well be something all of you have already seen anyway. Keep these things in mind before plunking down your money.

If you haven't seen Lord of the Rings, it is a great movie and well worth seeing. If you have seen it and are thinking of going again, do so because you really want to see the movie. You might end up disappointed if you are going only for the advertising that may or may not be there.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SavantB5:
Friendly advice:

Don't go unless you honestly want to see Lord of the Rings.

The list may not be entirely accurate. Someone I know noted that one of the theaters listed near them wasn't there anymore.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite so, Savant, and that wasn't what I was doing.

I went to see the movie for the second time. Indeed, I intend to see the LOTR movie several more times during it's theatrical run. My selection of the theatre was related to the possibility of seeing the trailer. However, lacking that led to only a mild disappointment, and didn't make

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Gandalf's fall or Boromir's death </font></td></tr></table>

or any other climactic moment have any less dramatic impact

I know the list of sites the trailer will be shown could change for many things, and perhaps I phrased my question wrong. What I'm wondering is how such "sales" of trailer time are verified.

My professional life is often involved in analyzing processes, and making sure the loop is closed by verification. I assume the same must be true of such a presumably costly purchase as a trailer on such a hit movie. As such, a heads up to the channel paying for the promotion doesn't seem such a far fetched thing, and I wondered where such a msg might be most effective.

I wholeheartedly agree that the movie is worth it on it's own. The thrill of seeing the B5LR trailer across a wider screen is only the cherry on an already scrumptious movie "sundae".

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

Just wanted to report that I went to see LOTR today (in my Rangers shirt from SciFi) at one of the theaters listed and I -did- see the trailer. It was the second or maybe third trailer shown (I lost track but there seemed to be quite a few). The trailer was one of the ones showing on TV but it was really great to see it on the big screen. I only wish it was a teeny bit longer but maybe it is better to be left wanting than getting too much information.
smile.gif

All in all, I was pleased but I didn't hear a big reaction to it either. Then again, I was sitting next to some teenagers who didn't seem to understand the movie LOTR too much ... "Gosh, that Gandalf is sure tall" ... they were checking their watch every 15 mins and said "Finally!" at the end of the movie ... *sigh* Some people!
crazy.gif

*will definitely be seeing the movie again*

------------------
Monica Hübinette | monica.hubbe.net | The Abyss : B5
"Ah, you seek meaning?" ~ "Yes." ~ Then listen to the music, not the song. --Ambassador Kosh & Talia Winters

[This message has been edited by Lyta (edited January 02, 2002).]

Back