• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: B5LR trailer showings in the US

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">B5LR trailer showings in the US</font>
<font size="3">A list of theatres carrying the trailer now available</font>

As previously reported, Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers was to be promoted before showings of The Lord of the Rings in US theatres. However, B5 movie-goers were disappointed to see no sign of the a B5LR trailer.

Dylan Neal (David Martel in B5LR) dropped by the B5LR.com messageboard to tell members that he had gone to see LOTR, and also noticed the lack of trailer. However, he later found out and informed members that the trailer airings wouldn't start until Friday 28 December 2001.

Thanks to Aisling Willow Grey, the owner of the "wrapped car" we reported on earlier this week, there's a comprehensive list of theatres in the ten key US markets which will have the trailer shown before them. You can view the list by click here.

Don't worry about the delay in the trailer appearance. LOTR is doing fantastically at the cinema, taking $18.2m in the US on its first day alone. A lot of people will see the trailer for B5LR as LOTR's box office success will no doubt continue for the forseeable future.

And what did Dylan Neal think of the the movie? It's "the best fantasy, adventure movie ever made - period. Go see Lord of the Rings, it's truly remarkable."

Cool I'll catch the movie again on the 28th and get to see the trailer too.

------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from Kier Darby @ vBulletin infidel_dog@rangerone.b5lr.com

My gosh.

It's playing less than an hour away from the place I'm currently visiting.

Guess who's gonna see the trailer?!?

*dances*

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

It looks like those "top 10 markets" are pretty liberally defined, geographicly.

As in circles a hundred miles or more in radius.
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

Yeah. I shouldn't be able to see the trailer. But I can.

However, I have to buy gas, pay eight bucks, drive forty-five minutes...

...should I, folks?

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

Personally, I don't like the trailers enough to go to any effort to see them. They are terribly short, and until the most recent interview-style ads on tv they have been too fast-paced for me to really follow.

But if you have to go that far to see a movie you really want to see, then sure, go for it. Just be sure the trailer is really playing. So many people were disappointed when there was no trailer the first night of LOTR.
blush.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

I'm amazed.
shocked.gif

3 theatres in the Austin area are showing the trailers. One is about 5 miles from my house.

Well, that's one short detour I'll be taking.
wink.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

I'm really annoyed at the choice of theaters. One is in Imperial, which is in the El Centro area. El Centro is much smaller than San Diego. Why do they get the trailer, & yet no theaters in the San Diego get it? El Centro is a little town out in the desert, for @#$%^& sake!
mad.gif

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Also, El Centro isn't in Los Angeles--it's about 100 miles east of San Diego. Why they were picked is a mystery to me. They are definitely *not* in a top-ten market.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Please don't assume this was totally about "choice" of venues.

Obviously, the information put on the SciFiwire was preliminary and partial.

I know a tiny bit about advertising in movie theatres and what little I know is that it isn't just about choosing, but what you can get. Many theatres don't accept advertising. Others may be affiliated with a different company than you are using to execute this for you.

There may be all kinds of executional hurdles involved here. Don't assume they are doing something wrong unless you know something about it.

I'm sure the media planners and buyers who are working on this are doing the best they can with the resources and challenges they have to work with.

All things considered, they are doing a pretty good job.

Also, strategically speaking, this advertising isn't really targeted to any of us here. It's targeted to more casual or non-B5 fans who may not know about the movie on the 19th because they don't normally watch a lot of the SciFi Channel.

It's also possible that the trailer is the same as what you've seen on TV or online already. If you really don't want to see the movie and you don't want to spend the money, why not wait to find out whether the trailer is "new"? There will be plenty of time to decide after that to go to the theatre.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:
I'm really annoyed at the choice of theaters. One is in Imperial, which is in the El Centro area. El Centro is much smaller than San Diego. Why do they get the trailer, & yet no theaters in the San Diego get it? El Centro is a little town out in the desert, for @#$%^& sake!
mad.gif

Tammy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm overjoyed. It's playing at the theater where I usually go, ~10 miles away.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

frown.gif
Of course, not at a theatre that is exactly close to me. I wonder if I can talk my ex-boyfriend into taking me to the theatre in Universal City. He hasn't seen LOTR yet.
laugh.gif
I want to see the Rangers on big screen, dagnabit!

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

Well, there's one just a mile from my house.

I might even go this weekend. Maybe.
tongue.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ivanova:
frown.gif
Of course, not at a theatre that is exactly close to me. I wonder if I can talk my ex-boyfriend into taking me to the theatre in Universal City. He hasn't seen LOTR yet.
laugh.gif
I want to see the Rangers on big screen, dagnabit!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the Universal City theater is a good possibility for me too, but not sure yet. Looks like several of the LA theaters are all Loews Cineplexes, which I guess going with one chain is a good thing. That includes the Universal City theater, the Magic Johnson theater, the Beverly Center (all the screens are too small there, what were they thinking?) and the Marina Del Rey theater. Now, for my boyfriend, Marina Del Rey is probably the choice he'll pick. Oh, and I won't be able to go on Friday, Dec. 28, as I'll be out watching Black Hawk Down, been waiting a long while to see that movie too. Dang, I can't believe I'm going to go see LOTR a 5th, or possibly 6th time just for a trailer.

------------------
Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Kailin

Interesting.

Many of those theaters are Loews.

The only one showing it in my area is a Loews. Which explains why it's there, maybe, as the Loews is not exactly the most reputable of places.

------------------

Loew's is not reputable? Whatcha mean? I hadn't heard?

Loews is affiliated and bundled somehow with Cineplex Odeon, Sony, and Magic Johnson Theatres.

I won a free year's worth of movies at Universal Citywalk about 2 years ago and the pass was good for all those theatres, so I'm assuming they all operate under the auspices of some larger beast.

And btw: When did Roosevelt Raceway become a movie theatre?

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

I just read the latest post from JMS which referred readers to B5LR for a list of the movie houses where the Rangers trailer will be shown.

laugh.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
Loew's is not reputable? Whatcha mean? I hadn't heard? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I live in The Land Of Provinciality, in which there has just been built a multiplex city-type Hoyts, and experienced all of the requisite "wow-ing" from the population. The Loews in the area is run-down, dirty, nasty, and just plain annoying to get to.

I know Loews Cinemas are quite amazing outside of Hicksville, but hey.

Of course, we students constantly head out to the Loews. It's cheaper!

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back