• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Minbari fighting pike vs lightsaber

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
multiple cases of lightsabres cutting through metal much thicker than a Minbari Pike.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you're making assumptions that you know what sort of Alloy the pikes are made out of.

Given what we see of pikes, they appear to (to misquote a certain Technomage) violate at least two of the laws of physics. We're just not sure Which two just yet.

In order to fold up as compactly as they do, the pikes must be made of a metal that is tissue paper thin. Yet, they are harder than titanium when in use. Also, in order to do the damage they do, they have to be fairly Heavy. Yet, when folded, they appear to be very Light.

Not to mention the manner in which the pikes fold and unfold. That is obviously done using some sort of electromagnetic or artificial gravity technology. With a very Rugged and long lived power source to withstand the repeated shock of being used to hit things as well as not have problems with running out of power at the worst possible moment. Remember, Marcus's Pike was several hundred years old, yet was still in perfect condition. If it hadn't been, Sinclair wouldn't have given it to him, considering how often his life would depend on it.

I will concede a new power pack for the energy source after that long.
wink.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

I'm not making assumptions about what the pike is made of, nor am I about the materials in Star Wars. In the Phantom Menace, Qui-Gon cuts through the door to the command center on the Trade Fderations ship. The door looked at least 6 inches thick. Then the blast door closed. He thrusted the lightsabre into the door with not a whole lot of resistance. The blast door looked to be about 1 ft thick.
I will assume, however, that the door was made of a stronger material than titanium, as is the pike. i don't think a pike, which has only a few inches for a diameter, and probably hollow, could withstand a lightsaberwhich cuts through more than over 1 ft. of solid metal.

------------------
"All ships open fire! Repeat! Fire!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The blast door looked to be about 1 ft thick. I will assume, however, that the door was made of a stronger material than titanium, as is the pike. i don't think a pike, which has only a few inches for a diameter, and probably hollow, could withstand a lightsaberwhich cuts through more than over 1 ft. of solid metal.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you've just proved you have no eye for sizes. The Pike is only about 1 inch in diameter, not "a few inches".

And, as I said, it appears to be more than just a piece of Pipe. It needs to have an energy field of some sort running through the core when it is in use, keeping the metal foil from collapsing.

And only Valen and the Vorlons know what is likely to happen when the two energy fields meet.
shocked.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Isn't it obvious that a lightsaber would cut through a pike in a second? As romantic as the pike is, I'd take the lightsaver.

BTW, remember the first ep. where Marcus uses the pike? I think Delenn comments on it. The impression was given then that it was kind of a rare, out-of-use and ancient weapon. (Kind of like a sword, I guess.) Then later in the series, I seem to remember its implied all Rangers train with the pike. Seems to be another case where JMS changed his mind!

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited June 19, 2001).]

Members online

No members online now.
Back