• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Let me end the silence...(some spoilers)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Channe wrote:

If the B5 DVD did as well as it reportedly did - garnering us, REPORTEDLY, the first season on disc - would that factor into the decision for the series - if they know the market is out there for B5 product?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it would.

It would increase the interest of Warner in getting a successful series, something they could sell to other networks and publish on DVD. DVD sales are measured globally and not affected by football playoffs. They may easily bring in comparable profit, hence having Warner's interest and attention.

If they treat DVD sales as an indicator of overall global interest, they *will* take it into account while negotiating about "Rangers". Warner has to decide how much of "Rangers" they are willing to finance. Should they decide to increase their share by a few percent, SCIFI might easily consider it profitable.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited January 26, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntonyF:
UPN would be a great lead-out show for Enterprise though.... two very dedicated fan bases, to very sci-fi shows.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

uPn would never air anything B5.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

i can understand your support for the actors. they seem nice and not above the fans. but what i don´t understand is why the pilot convinced you so much.

i don´t want to offense anyone here, but i´ve seen it three times now and it won´t get better.

i´m a first time b5 fan. and i also liked crusade very much. but what i got here is IMHO merely a shadow of what crusade used to be. i was sooo much dissappointed by the ranger movie. i couldn´t believe that this was written by jms. i watched it again just to find anithing that reminds me of his kind of writing.
but there was nearly nothing of it. no drama, no character-drawing (i liked dulann and the drazi). just another primitive action and kick ass show. for me it´s the episode-I of the b5 universe. a joke. nothing else.
the best thing of all was that holographic battlestation. that was a really good idea! Until the moment she began her martial art fire. that´s not the legend of the rangers... it´s the legend of the power rangers (LotPR)
frown.gif

and i really hope, that IF there will be a series, it will not be a kiddie-show like this.

much less action. more suspense. more mystery. more character driven eps. thats what i whish for the future.

cu
jesse custer

------------------
earth´s nature won´t die at our hands. it will just change. so we have to live or die with the consequences.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sisko:
Being a Pats fan...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I first read that, I thought you meant "Tallman."
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sisko:
[BI place a lot of importance in how strong the Captain acts and is portrayed and Mr. Neal carried it off perfectly.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see how Dylan and Alex could have been better.
smile.gif
They both nailed it.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reverend Custer:
Until the moment she began her martial art fire. that´s not the legend of the rangers... it´s the legend of the power rangers (LotPR)
frown.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gotta agree with you on that one.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reverend Custer:
what i don´t understand is why the pilot convinced you so much.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my case, it's a combination of what I know about JMS's writing strengths and weaknesses and the particular strengths and weaknesses of the pilot.

This is the sixth made-for-TV movie JMS has written in the B5 universe, counting The Gathering. I hadn't been particularly thrilled with any of the other five. The new characters that were introduced often had clunky exposition to deliver, many of the plots weren't terribly engaging, attempts at 'lighter' moments usually fell flat, and the level of complexity of a good B5 episode wasn't there because the story was meant to stand on its own. On the other hand, Gathering and Call to Arms set up premises for series that seemed promising, and the characters that continued to series were futher developed into far more interesting people, and on looking back, you could kind of see that potential even in the TV movies.

So while I wasn't thrilled with the plot of TLADIS, I wasn't really expecting to be. On the other hand, and not to suck up to the guy who started this thread, I liked David Martel as a character from the start. His relationship with Dulann was written better than old friendships like Sinclair's and Garibaldi's was at the start of B5. Rather than having people TELL us about Martel's leadership ability (a trap JMS fell into with Sheridan, Lochley, and the other commanders to a lesser extent), we saw it in the ease with which he consulted others and made decisions. And it wasn't just Martel. Like I said, I really liked Dulann. I think there's a lot of potential in the premise of the first Narn and Drazi Rangers being on the ship. And most of the other actors seemed a lot more natural and comfortable in their roles than the B5 cast did in The Gathering, as well.

So, the movie gave me characters I liked and an interesting premise. I know what JMS can do with those things over the course of a series, where he has time to develop things more carefully. That's what I needed out of this movie to get me excited about a possible Rangers series. I did, and so I am.

------------------
Dave Thomer
This Is Not News

Well, here we go. I thought I'd just put my two credits worth in here and post a reminder to everyone of just who we're trying to support. If we follow in his footsteps of never giving up, then we'll do okay. But, if for some reason it doesn't go to series, we have a chance maybe in another year to see it go. Remember, B5 didn't make it to series in the same year the movie premiered.
Now, for the inspiration part:
Part 1 from Babylon 5 Magazine, Dec 1999
(I am selecting bits from The Last Word column)
"Moments of Transition"
"Prior to 1992 no one outside of a handful of my associates had ever heard of Vorlons before. Or Minbari, or Narns, or Z'ha'dum. Or Delenn, or Londo, or Lorien. In 1992, the door to a totally new and previously undiscovered universe opened wide...and look at the totality of what has emerged. Now in 1999, for the foreseeable future, barring the novels and such, the foor to that universe is essentially closed.
But there is an old saying: For ever door that closes, another opens.
In 1992 I was a pretty good writer.
Now, in 1999, I am, I hope I beleive (one must beleive such things, aftger all) a better writer.
"Change is neither good nor bad, it simply is. What matters is what you do with it."

Part 2 deals with plugging away at something agains odds and dificulties.

Babylon 5 Magazine #10, May 1999
"Fighting Words"
"I was told that inner-city kids like me didn't become writers, that it was an Ivory-tower profession...that I was a troublemaker, and if you wanted to get ahead, you had to go along with the crowd, don't make a scene, don't stand out or speak out.
I didn't listen.
When in junior college I went toe-to-toe with my writing professor because he was unduly harrassing a female student, he dropped my grades from an A to a C or D and proclaimed to one and all that I would never, ever be a writer.
I didn't listen.
In later college, I was told not to try writing full time, that I should concentrate on a profession in another area, so I'd have something to fall back on in case the writing didn't work out. Yes, a regular job would leave almost no time for writing at the end of a long day, but at least there would be security.
I didn't listen.
AFter college, I was told that there was no point in even trying to break into Hollywood, because I didn't have friends or family in the Business; I had no contacts, no credits, no agent.
I didn't listen.
I made it into television, and tried for five years to sell a show called Babylon 5 when even my agent said ti wasn't going to happen, that I should give up, and concentrate on other goals.
I didn't listen.
Because all those voices proceed from fear, and fearis the one thing that I cannot give into. Because yeah, Hollywood's a tough place to live but can it be any tougher than getting beat up every day?
The thing about getting beat up is that whether in the end you win or lose, you learn how to fight, and not give in.
"Because I didn't listen to the voices, and because I learned to fight. And because of all that, I did Babylon 5"

J. Michael Straczynski
Still Fighting
5 February 1999

There! I just had to do that. Because I don't have the background he does, nor the eloquence, only he can voice what is truly important in our fervor and excitement over B5. If you have a chance, look for his columns in this magazine. Whenever I picked up a new issue, I always turned it to the back and read his column first. Because it was British publication, it came to us a bit late. But was well worth the wait.

Everything he writes, is from his heart and soul. Even the bad stuff!

::stepping off soapbox and sitting down::

------------------
PM
"Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future .. and it changed us."
--General Susan Ivanova
Sleeping In Light

Regarding the question of whether SFC knew that there'd be a playoff game that night, and the fact that the game got an unusually high rating:

It got an unusually high rating in large part because it aired in prime time, and this is the first year that the NFL has put playoff games in prime time. Also, the fact that the Saturday playoff games would be in prime time has been known since at least the beginning of the season, and the fact that one of them would be held on January 19th has been known for 3-4 months, since September 11th caused the NFL to delay the playoffs by a week. If only they'd aired Rangers on either January 5th or 26th, this would not have happened. Clearly someone at SFC was not paying attention.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:
I have trouble not speaking my mind and this often gets me into trouble.

If I could make a little request here, when speaking of this information, try not to make it sound like somehow I spilled the beans or that I'm the source of all these stats.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know this thread has mushroomed quite rapidly since you first posted this and I am not sure this is the most appropriate way to get your attention Dylan, but I wanted to make you aware of something you may not be aware of.

Over in this thread, there was a URL posted that had some updated information about the Rangers and what fans could do to help get a series. On that web site, they quoted your entire post that started this thread. I am not sure that was your intention and many of us have objected to this since it was our belief that it should remain on these boards. Please forgive us if that is not the case.

The internet can be wonderful and horrible at the same time. Once something is posted online, it is very hard to keep it private if it is newsworthy and reliable. This is great if you want to get the word out fast (like Antony and I spamming mailing lists to announce Enid-Raye's last minute chat on SciFi) but it can be horrible to retract something said in error or privately (amoungst friends).

I know so many of us here have appriciated and respected your (and the rest of the crew) input and contributions here. I would hate to see it being taken advantage of. I am sure they meant no harm reprinting your post on their web site, so please accept my apologies if you see nothing wrong with what they did.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

wink.gif

Dylan, Warren, Alex,
Thanks so much for all your comments here. It proves how much you care about this project.

Having Doug Netter batting for you is terrific. The guy was once President of MGM!AND he's totally committed to this project as well. He's definitely got the experience for the toe-to-toe that will be going on with SCIFI.

I wonder if SCIFI would consider another airing of the movie as part of their Sci-Fi Friday schedule?

Take care everyone,
Sandy

------------------
Sandra Bruckner
Editor/Publisher
ISN News: The Zocalo Today (www.isnnews.net)

Someone asked why the people who liked the movie liked it.

I'll give you what I always think.

EVERYBODY HAS DIFFERENT TASTES.

(aside: This is a hard lesson I learned.. and I'm still learning...via the internet)

I think this is something people NEED to remember. So I put it in caps.

I think there are a lot here who realize this but some who don't.

Just cause YOU didn't like the movie, doesn't mean the movie was bad and everybody should not like it. It means YOU didn't like it. It wasn't your cup of tea.

And the reverse is also true, just cause YOU did like it, doesn't mean the movie is good and everybody should like it. It just means YOU liked it. It was your cup of tea.

We all have different tastes. Different opinions.

I liked the movie; you didn't.

Who's right?

THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG WHEN IT COMES TO OPINION ON MOVIES, BOOKS, TV, OR MUSIC

(aside: though sometimes I forget this..specially when I see shows like Baywatch and hear some rap music..*shivers*)

There is no Ultimate good or bad. No final judge of what is good or bad.

So keep in mind, for every show you don't like, there are lots of people who like it for some reason or another.

And also for every show you like there are lots of people who don't like it for some reason or another.

So thats my answer. Thats why some people like the movie. Thats why they are convinced.

You didn't like the movie, but it seems a lot of people did.

Some people didn't like the weapons pod, but some people, like me, did.

I don't think of Power Rangers when I see the weapons pod.

Power Rangers never had that great of effects. They NEVER had the genuis (IMO) to come up with such an amazing concept.

Believe me, I use to watch Power Rangers all the time when I was younger.

Anyway, next time you wonder why someone didn't like something, give this post a thought please.

DF2506

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:

Over in this thread, there was a URL posted that had some updated information about the Rangers and what fans could do to help get a series. On that web site, they quoted your entire post that started this thread. I am not sure that was your intention and many of us have objected to this since it was our belief that it should remain on these boards.
The internet can be wonderful and horrible at the same time. Once something is posted online, it is very hard to keep it private if it is newsworthy and reliable.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw it, too, Lyta. I could NOT BELIEVE someone who would go to a site like "Crusade for Crusade" would so completely ignore the content of his request. I don't know if someone here emailed the information to the two who run that site, or if they are here themselves, but SHAME I say.

Thanks to folks like this, we can expect NO MORE confirmations, most likely.

We were given a chance, gang, and we blew it.
frown.gif

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited January 27, 2002).]

Aiiee.

There's absolutely no mistaking what Dylan wanted, here. You'd have to deliberately ignore the last paragraph of his post...

Hypatia - as it always happens, the minority ruin it for the majority.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Aiiee.

There's absolutely no mistaking what Dylan wanted, here. You'd have to deliberately ignore the last paragraph of his post...

Hypatia - as it always happens, the minority ruin it for the majority.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Channe, I just couldn't believe those two would do such a thing. I forget their names, but the couple who run that site. I mean, they were always such fans of Crusade, and were very good at listing letter-writing information (like Joe is doing now here).

I guess I figured if anyone did this, it would NOT be avid fans of the B5 universe.
crazy.gif
mad.gif

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

That seems cruel that someone would deliberately ignore his request and post it I enjoy having him post here and hope this doesn't spoil it.

------------------

Dave Thomer gave a good explanation of what i wanted to know. thanks for that
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I live to serve, and I serve to live.
smile.gif

------------------
Dave Thomer
This Is Not News

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaribaldiHairs:

I think at some extend this is a "point-of-view"... how did you know that actually the camera wasn't following the CGI, giving us the impression that Sarah was herself turning around ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was that she seemed to exert herself to move, to change where she was looking (but this was because she was on wires).

The thing is, the joystick approach (of her standing in the VR bubble, and moving a joystick to rotate the VR scene), would be easier for the actress, and would be faster reacting.

Heck, she could fire by touching a ship on the screen with her index finger (like the council member did to view the Hand ships). She could go between weapons or screen magnification by saying "weapon" before she wants to shoot for the first time, or by saying "magnify" or "reduce" before she wants to change magnification.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Just responding to the quoting concerns here. I don't know anything about netiquette, but like Joe D. surmised , I did expect the info to travel. I think in this case it was OK since they quoted me in full, like I said I was most concerned about being misquoted.

Thanks for the heads up though guys, I really appreciate your concern on my behalf. In the future I'll make it very clear how I would prefer info being used, knowing full well that once I put something 'out there' it's out of my control anyway. I hope feathers weren't ruffled too badly over this, I know we're all just trying to do what's best for Rangers.

Thanks again for your concern, I really do appreciate it.

Dylan

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:
Re-read what I said! Obviously there is a market, the West coast numbers prove that. I mean 3.2 in San Diego - Helloooo! There was much speculation before the show about whether sci fi fans were sporting fans, I think that question has been answered with finality.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While there may have been speculation on this messageboard, this information would certainly be available to SCIFI. Networks have the ability to run reports showing what other programs viewers watching X are, also, watching that week. Back into the TNT days (at least) there was a strong correlation between B5 and both sports and other SF. I suspect that relationship to TNT's programming (which had a fair amount of sports) might have contributed to the decision to buy both Season 5 of B5 and Crusade in the first place. SCIFI's Programmers and Executives impress me as having a fair degree of business sense (I don't always agree with their decisions when I put my viewer hat on but from a business perspective, they seem reasonable). I'd be surprised if they didn't know this.

Additionally, the ad agency that did the media campaign for Rangers would certainly have checked this sort of thing out. We can even see this by how many of us saw those ads. The ad agency did a good job of figuring out where folks who might like B5-like or Ranger's style SF would watch. In the end, it seemed like they did an excellent job of achieving awareness, too.

There are a number of questions I'd be interesting in knowing (and I'd think any Network would ask). One that comes to mind is what is the actual hit that competing in most of the time zones with a major sporting event gives? If I add back the hit, how are Ranger's ratings? Another interesting question would be the efficacy of the ads. They seemed to have achieved awareness among non-active B5 fans. Did they, also, make folks want to watch the show? Unfortunately, a poll of folks here wouldn't tell us the later.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back