• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Latest From JMS

Re: They guessed the acronym.

Oooops. I toss off that term like it's candy, but forget that outside of my little troupe nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about.

It's like community theater... without the corporate sponsors.

I'm with Channe on this.

I suggest that everybody calm down, count to fifty, etc. Perhaps people should reread some of the things that annoyed them, once a little more relaxed, and try to find where the problem may have emerged.

Joe D, I've noticed this before. You can be very forthright at times, and you're very into the B5 world, so you know this area inside and out. The combination of confident speech and a wealth of information sometimes can be intimidating, and those not used to it might feel a bit threatened. I'm not suggesting that you change your ways; just be a little more aware of how people might respond.

Colonyearth, Joe is known for knowing everything B5, or darn close. He's very knowledgeable about this area, and generally more willing than the rest of us to go spelunking through the internet to find some scrap of relevant information. He also makes no secret of what he thinks. He can be very certain at times and does not suffer fools gladly. To a newcomer, his posts might seem very intimidating. Perhaps you could check out some of his posts in other areas, get to know him when he's "off duty" so to speak.

All in all, this dispute seems to be a misunderstanding. Let's just cool it, shall we?

And I am known for tossing in smart-ass comments at the worst possible times and when they are least wanted.

And I am known for tossing in smart-ass comments at the worst possible times and when they are least wanted.

Everyone needs a smart-ass comment here and there. Maybe they're irritating, but hey, they fulfill their job pretty well.

To all of you,

I never meant to make anything personal or bring things to a different or more personal level. Perhaps this is one of the misunderstandings. I'm not trying to say that I have any more insight into the thoughts of WB or JMS than anyone else. I've only attempted to look beyond one story to the concept of others that might come to pass or be worth exploring. I never intended for anyone to feel that I was belittling them with my comments about my filmmaking and writing. As a rule I tend to look at things differently and from askew...it's both a curse and a blessing.

So when I've tried so state things from that perspective, I've perhaps been read in a manner I never intended. If that is the case...I do apologize. I seem to have misinterpreted what some have written here, myself. Mainly talk of my lack of imagination or my filmmaking career. While no insult was probably ever meant by what people wrote, I took it as such. Maybe my ire was up because today I'm in a great deal of pain -- literally. I admit I'm very sensitive about my film work. It isn't easy to start your own production company and build a dream while working full time elsewhere.

As for my imagination...it is rather over-active most of the time -- again, both blessing and curse. I tend to look at story ideas with the angle of "what is there beneath the surface, what haven't we been told, where are the holes to be filled, and how can all this be taken care of in a fantastic, big sweeping story that will move people?"

While I acknowledge that a TW film or whatever format it is would be cool...and one I would love to see...I'm only trying to think of anything else that there is in the B5 universe that JMS might run with. I see many directions he could conceivably go in, and I like to play out all the possibilities. If ever I've offended in this...I'm sorry.

I said it before and again I say, if I'm wrong I'll admit it. I've now asked Joe to please let me in on some ideas I may be amiss with, and if the facts are there, then believe me, my mind will go off reeling into new and strange directions given any new info.

We all know it is almost impossible to predict what JMS will do or what he's thinking...but I find it fun to try to get into his head and the studio's mind and try to find out where they might go. While I know where some of the more obvious places are...I want to look also at the less obvious places. I also acknowledge that times and situations change...whereas, in 2000, JMS was big on the TW...that might not be the case now -- at least for this project -- so I ask myself, if not this, then what else could it be. It's all supposition for any of us at this point...but that's the fun of it...and somewhere the fun went terribly awry.

If I've stepped on toes, I'm sorry. But I've learned that sometimes a new perspective can send one in new and fascinating directions never before thought of.

All this coupled with the fact that one never knows what the studio suits are going to press for given their mood and what they claim to be "in" at the moment, gave me pause...and admittedly still does.

Perhaps, what I was trying to do in getting people to look beyond one idea to another was to say...that while I'm with you...I'm also aware that things don't always go the way we expect, so don't get your hopes up too high for any one thing. You just never know.

I'm simply glad to know there's more B5 on the way... whatever the story...whatever the format...B5 endures and our faith manages.

We as fans should stick together...not tear each other down. If someone throws out an idea...let's debate the possibilities of that idea...not disregard it. And that goes for me as well...I was wrong in not debating the possibilities of what all could happen in a TW story. My initial thoughts and feeling were, that while I really would love to see it, I just didn't think it was the direction that would be taken both by JMS and the studio. I could be wrong...but from what I've seen of the bits and pieces we know of the ending of that tale, etc., it just didn't "feel" right, not in this time and place. Remember, since 2000 a lot has happened, especially 9/11. So what hints we've been given about tactics and such might not play too well to a broader audience, though we as B5 fans would "get it." Could JMS re-think some it and alter it and make it work? Oh hell yea, if anyone can the Great Maker can. So, I'm not disgarding the idea altogether...it's still a very large possibility...but what if he can't tell that now...what if the studio wants bigger and more space and their own Star Wars? What tale comes to mind? To me...there's still a great many events and portions of the Drakh war that we have no idea about. We know what happened on Centauri Prime, yes...but what was happening everywhere else? Where was he going with Crusade and could the Great Maker adapt that tale to the main cast and go bigger with it? There's story to be told there on the scale of the universe. I know I can alone come up with lots of ideas and directions that could be taken. I know you guys can too...that's all I'm saying...what are the other ideas still out there?

We can all acknowledge that the TW is most definately a big one...but are there others? Of course there are.

No offense was meant...and I personally would love to get to know Joe better and rely on his knowledge. I'm not a fact digger like him per se...I go through flights of fancy and imaginative leaps of faith. Each is just as important as the other.

Anyway, peace to all...and just remember the most important thing...B5 will be back in some way! Thanks to us, the fans who went in droves to buy the DVDs and return WB's faith to JMS's creation. It's that that we can be most proud of.

B5 endures!
:)

Humby,
Tony

...but you've yet to tell me where you get that Lennier died during the TW. If I've missed this fact somewhere...please enlighten me as to where I might find it...

If you go here you can see the post I made on the subject a while back, followed by some comments of Joe's which make sense to me

Thank you Demon for the insight there, most helpful. It's interesting that JMS was going to go down that road. It would've made more sense to me that Lennier redeem himself to Delenn, of course that might have been an effect of that attempt on Lennier's part and we were going to be given more on it later. However, my ultimate problem is that we didn't see Lennier there, and another actress played the Lyta part. Was it really her? JMS could now say it wasn't if he chooses sense Pat Tallman didn't actually play the role and it wasn't indicated clearly that that was Lyta in that episode. Therefore, conceivably JMS could go where ever he wants to with both Lennier and Lyta. An unproduced portion of script, as I'm sure JMS and anyone else would hopefully agree, is not necessarily cannon. That part didn't get done as scripted there...therefore, since we didn't see it produced, it's not binding...no more than any other re-write would be binding. That would be an utter nightmare if that were the case.

Boy, this opens up soooo many more doors. Lennier could still show up at any time to redeem himself elsewhere, and conceivably...although JMS has told us that in his mind that was Lyta we saw, he could change his mind and have Lyta show up anytime and anywhere...she could well have survived the TW. What wasn't produced isn't binding...wow, interesting.

More possibilities! :D See, now my mind is reeling again! Damn!

Read a bit more of that thread...most interesting. While JMS intended to do something with Lennier in the TW, due to having to change what we saw, it opens him up to be able to change or re-think things years later. We do know he did and had to do that during production on B5. I'm not saying he will...but it's interesting you gotta admit. Stories often grow and change over time. It'll be fascinating to see what he comes out with.

I know some things I've heard through some sources which I won't say here for various reasons...I'm very interested to find out how accurate things turn out to be.

Cool.

:D

Regarding Lennier:

A story never told... is open. Possibility remains that JMS might find better ways to employ Lennier, or leave in place the scenario mentioned above.

However... his alleged death in the Telepath War... is not unbelievable. Unable to deal with personal feelings for Delenn... Lennier appears to have distanced himself from everything related to her (including Rangers and possibly Minbari society).

I would hazard to guess he sought to distract himself. To look outward, and thus avoid looking inward -- at broken promises, unanswered questions and generally a too big dose of bitter medicine than he cared to swallow.

Likewise and quite visibly... he was drifting from diplomat into warrior. Not a warrior with fixed belonging and loyalties... more likely an independent agent. Not necessarily without principles, not necessarily easy to buy... but given a worthy purpose, easily drawn to conflict.

It would not be unimaginable that Lennier would learn of the Telepath resistance, perceive their difficulty as opportunity to employ himself in useful fashion... cause a great deal of difficulty for Psi-Corps, and eventually fall.

Not necessarily to redeem himself... but to distract himself from questions he failed to answer.

--------

Regarding stories:

While the Telepath War contains an especially juicy tangle of stories... the Drakh attempt to retaliate against the Alliance offers stories too.

Curing Earth from their attack is one story (admittely half-told in "Crusade") just like curing it from internal rifts of social/technical nature.

A galaxy where Shadow technology is being pursued by some, while others carry Vorlon legacy... would admittedly need some patching up. How the Alliance managed to stay together... is an interesting story, barely started in "Rangers".

There are possible stories before the construction of "Babylon 5" -- but those are unlikely to seriously feature our familiar characters. There are stories from far future (and far past)... and again, their threshold is higher, because of no established characters.

But they are not excluded. Their fragments could mix well with stories of closer times. There is potential.

However, from my viewpoint it seems reasonable to expect... that the starting jump for anything extending further... occur near the end of the storyline of "Babylon 5".

I have to admit I've skipped most parts of your posts. But it looks to me you may be lacking some parts of information regarding the Telepath war and the Feature film.

A lot of us here have been following JMS's post for years now, and little pieces of info have become common knowledge. For example: JMS has stated, after Crusade has aired, that Lyta indeed dies in the Teep War.
Also, I remember JMS once saying that the Feature film could be about something else then the Teep War, but one thing is for sure: there will be Vorlons involved.

You should check www.jmsnews.com for any info he might have given over the years about any given subject.

Some nice follow-through there, and good possibilities. I know for my wish...I would like to see him actually redeem himself with Delenn and Sheridan.... Lennier indicates in "Objects at Rest" that he will one day do this. While a fall during the TW is a possible scenario, I think it would be a terrible thing to pass up such a powerful moment as Lennier falling while "setting things right" so to speak. I know it's a moment that you could pull the heart strings of the audience to no end...and I must say it's a moment I personally would like to see. I personally would prefer it if Lennier's remdemption came at least in some way because of Delenn and what he felt he owed to her.

Just imagine the music swell...and the sniffles in the audience.... :LOL: Either way, I'm certain JMS will make a powerful moment if we get to see it. I never doubt his ability to move me.

I think, in a way, Lennier's redemption taking place not by directly helping Delenn could be more powerful. It could be argued that dying whilst helping Delenn may be motivated by a desire to redeem himself in her eyes. While that's not unreasonable, I think it could be more poignant to have Lennier die elsewhere, far from his people, far from Delenn; his act of sacrifice (i'm assuming it's an act of sacrifice, redemptions usually are... :) ) is made without knowing that anyone else will see it, or even know of it.

In that way, I feel, he would have truly redeemed himself - does that make any sense?

But, although that may be more powerful (IMO), I think there's no denying the scenrio you mentioned may make for more on-screen drama.

VB.

A thread to talk about possible story lines was created called The Second Babylon 5 Film.

The big problem with the David Sheridan story is that it is basically "A Star is born" in space. The main Babylon 5 characters are killed/pensioned off. A cute kid is brought in; to be written by a writer who hates cute kids. That is a high-risk film.

A lot of us here have been following JMS's post for years now, and little pieces of info have become common knowledge. For example: JMS has stated, after Crusade has aired, that Lyta indeed dies in the Teep War.
Also, I remember JMS once saying that the Feature film could be about something else then the Teep War, but one thing is for sure: there will be Vorlons involved.

Well, I knew Lyta dies in the TW, which was one of my arguments against it as a feature film...bit of a downer ending for a feature, unless you've already planned a sequel. Who knows. While JMS did clearly state that that was Lyta, and she did die...all I'm speculating is that since the episode didn't air as scripted, it does give JMS some leeway should he decide for some reason to take it. Should he desire to change his mind, he can and can do with Lyta whatever he will. Past postings aside...the posts aren't cannon, and JMS can change his mind...not that he will mind you...so don't misunderstand me. All I'm saying is that the door is there should he decide to pass through it.

Even you say that JMS has said that any feature film may not necessarily be about the TW. There are many tales yet to tell, especially when given the chance to possibly take B5 to the big screen. As for whether there will be Vorlons...without doing a flashback type motif...there can be no Vorlons since they've left obviously. So we might get some flashback stuff of the Vorlon homeworld and such...but then...what was said before in posts, is not really binding today. JMS has the prerogative to change his mind. So the possibilities are in fact endless. Only the Great Maker knows for sure.

It's cool the think we might get to see the Vorlon homeworld finally, but if he does show us...I would think it will be towards the end of a film or in the third film if it's a trilogy (my personal hope). That's a big reveal...he would hopefully have lots of build to it so we're all most properly impressed. As I'm sure he will...he is after all JMS. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an uninformed B5 fan. I may not have caught all the posts, but most of them came across my computer screen at some point or another. I may have forgotten some points here and there, but I've kept up with most of the B5 universe rather rabidly. No, I haven't read the magazine stories, usually because I don't know about them until they've come and gone. If JMS states something is cannon, I make a point to read it, or check it out. The rest is speculation, though fun it may be.

Again, don't get me wrong, all B5 related materials can be fun and are fun...I just don't catch them all. I tend to stay fairly busy. It's only recently that I've been able to post and spend this much time online and chatting like this in the forums. It's a blast, but I'm certain that my life will once again soon take me away where I won't have the time to do this as much once more. Probably soon actually (don't you all cheer at once now :LOL:), because I'm at a crucial phase in post on my latest film, so that will be occupying my time once more. I've taken some time away while I locked in my composer, but it's time to get back in the editing room and bury my head in my final cut.

Don't worry, I'll stay on occasionally, and be back before too long. As I'm sure everyone will miss me terribly when I drift away to the status of occasional posting :LOL:

Anyway, this book I'm writing here is getting long!

Keep thinking and dreaming!

VB, good thoughts...I like that idea, and the silent sacrifice. If played out correctly, it could work just as well. I hadn't really approached it from that angle completely, and that's what I meant earlier when I talked about different ideas sending us in different directions. Great example!

The big problem with the David Sheridan story is that it is basically "A Star is born" in space. The main Babylon 5 characters are killed/pensioned off. A cute kid is brought in; to be written by a writer who hates cute kids. That is a high-risk film

And, I do not mean to be mean at all, but please, can we drop the assumption that this will be a David Sheridan story? I never said it would be...and I never talked about David as a cute, starchild type character. I only talked about David from just prior to the Keeper incident to past Sheridan's death and what role he might play -- as an adult -- in the B5 universe. I NEVER said he would even be in this story...I was only speculating on were JMS could take the B5 universe with or after this project.

Please, change the subject :D

Thank you very much :)

his act of sacrifice (i'm assuming it's an act of sacrifice, redemptions usually are... :) ) is made without knowing that anyone else will see it, or even know of it

So you're going the whole Comes the Inquisitor route with this, huh? :cool: :)

Sure PillowRock. It's a fascinating idea, the unknown moment of sacrifice. And a nice way to tie in Delenn and Sheridan...they had to go through what they did with the Inquisitor, but even though Lennier wasn't asked to go through it, he still had to step up and believe in Delenn, sometimes when no one else did. Would be interesting that his very redemption comes from that type of unseen sacrifice. Sounds like JMS to me :LOL:

And if depicted correctly, and tied in subtly, it would evoke that very moment from the series and tear into the hearts of the fans.

Cool :D

Can't wait to hear from JMS on this. There are four things I hope he reveals when he finally steps down from the Mountiantop of the Great Maker and speaks again:

1) What is the general idea of the story (obviously without giving the story away completely ...ie: TW, Drakh War, or something new.)

2) What format is it? Feature film (or trilogy of films for that matter), TV movie, or mini-series?

3) When is it planned to be released?

4) Who is scripted to be a part of it as far as cast?

Of course, we'll be extremely lucky if he answers even one of these points in his usual Vorlon-esque manner. "Such is the way for all Zathras's...always not being told such happenings until Zathras needed for something. But is the way of things." :LOL:

Here's another source regarding Lennier's fate. A while back, they released copies of the Crusade writer's bible, part of which explained where the B5 characters are "now." This is a link to a website that divulges this info: http://www.isnanchordesk.com/b5/b5char.html

There you have it. Lennier dies in the Teep crisis. I doubt jms would change his mind on this, but as some pointed out, that's still up to him. The main reason I'd see of him changing anything from his original plan, is because folks who didn't know it was originally meant to be Lyta in Crusade would get confused.

As for Delenn's supposed non-involvement, we don't know enough to say she is or isn't part of the story. There are any number of things that could draw her in, the big one being her position as head of the rangers. If they get involved in such a big conflict, she has to.

As for Sheridan, who some said would only be in the periphery at best, it was his political decisions with Byron that put pieces into place with Lyta and her rogues. He's also the only one Lyta can't affect with her powers (I mean, right? Correct me if I remember incorrectly), which would make him a sought-after weapon for Psi-Corp, who starts off as "the good guys."

And even though we like her, and generally agree with her grievances, don't count on Lyta completely being "the good guy." When asked about not mentioning her among the dead in "Sleeping in Light," jms said if Zack has been there, "maybe he would've named Lyta (or maybe not, given what happens with her later)."

Again, I'm not saying anything is or isn't, just possibilities.

Some very interesting theories about Lennier's motives and path, you guys. Does anyone else think it sounds a little like Marcus, and his reasons for being a ranger? That would be furthurly (is that a word?) interesting, as I've always suspected at least part of why he became a ranger was to honor Marcus, who died in acting on information Lennier hinted at (in an act moving to someone who knows about unrequited love himself). How's that for a run on sentence?

Just throwing more sticks into the fire :p

Quote:
Recoil wrote:
What the hell is indie theater?

Perhaps something not quite amateur... but not massively business-oriented either? Something in between?

I assumed it was bus-and-truck as compared to a first class production, or maybe something like the difference between Broadway and off-off B'way?

Aisling

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back