• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS giving B5:TLT hints?

He didn't quite say Disk 2 would be dependent on Sales. He said the Garibaldi story is being pushed to disk 2. Then went on to say if sales are anywhere near what Wb expects, there will be more. Comparing that with what he said earlier, I'm thinking Disk 2 is pretty much a given, and then future disks would be based upon sales of Disk 1 and 2 (IMHO). But, heck, it's a moot point, because we'll make the sales high enough even if we all need to buy 5 discs each :D

He didn't quite say Disk 2 would be dependent on Sales. He said the Garibaldi story is being pushed to disk 2. Then went on to say if sales are anywhere near what Wb expects, there will be more.

Well, that sounds like Disk 2 will depend on sales. By suggesting that there will be more *IF* the sales are as good as expected, that implies that they will wait until they've seen the sales figures for Disk 1 before proceeding with production on Disk 2. I agree that it sounds like it's nearly a sure thing, but then, I always thought there'd be a good chance that there would be more. I'm more interested in the timing of things. Up until now, as far as we knew, they might have been planning to start up production on Disk 2 *very* soon after Disk 1. But with this new information, it looks like they'll wait until after the first one goes on sale, which won't happen until the spring.

Ah, you're so impatient. :)

Aren't we all? Perhaps if the preorders are huge they'll o.k. Disc 2 at that point.

So now it's waiting for amazon.com :D

[Up until now, as far as we knew, they might have been planning to start up production on Disk 2 *very* soon after Disk 1.
I would *always* have considered that an *extremely* remote possibillity.

Just in terms of what we know about JMS' current non-B5 workload, it seemed a virtual impossibillity that he would be able to finish producing the first and then immediately be able to write the scripts for the second one ..... much les actually go directly into production.

And then, regardless of whether it had been explicitly put into so many words by JMS, from the WB bean counter POV I had always assumed that the second one wouldn't actually get the cash transferred out from WB until they had at least seen the pre-order numbers for the first.

He didn't quite say Disk 2 would be dependent on Sales. He said the Garibaldi story is being pushed to disk 2. Then went on to say if sales are anywhere near what Wb expects, there will be more.

Well, that sounds like Disk 2 will depend on sales. By suggesting that there will be more *IF* the sales are as good as expected, that implies that they will wait until they've seen the sales figures for Disk 1 before proceeding with production on Disk 2. I agree that it sounds like it's nearly a sure thing, but then, I always thought there'd be a good chance that there would be more. I'm more interested in the timing of things. Up until now, as far as we knew, they might have been planning to start up production on Disk 2 *very* soon after Disk 1. But with this new information, it looks like they'll wait until after the first one goes on sale, which won't happen until the spring.

Although unlikely, I still read in the possibility, that 1 and 2 are set, and beyond disc 2 is dependent upon sales. But, like I said, even if we all have to buy 5 copies, we'll make sales high enough, one way or another, darn it, LOL.

Two straight 45 minute episodes are also a lot more TV friendly...

Not really. Three 30 minute stories works at least as well. (See Trilogy of Terrror, the Night Gallery pilot, etc.) Either way you've got enough story to fill a two hour slot with commercials. Whether there are two stories or three is really immaterial in terms of a TV sale.

Regards,.

Joe

Hype, I'm not joking about a pre-order. :beer: And I've never pre-ordered anything in my life. Massive pre-orders could well speed up the process of green lighting the next release.

And Jan, I'm just thinking/hoping aloud that as we know it's the Garibaldi story that got dropped and that Garibaldi's involved with Lyta and Bester and so would be part of the Teep war, IMHO. Offering Jerry D a plum role in the Teep war could calm a bit of his cranky-ness. :eek: :D

Ah, Trilogy of Terror. I get a warm, fuzzy glow just thinking about it!

trilogy14.jpg

Give me a hug!

Back