• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS confirmation of ratings

well thanks koshn. you went thru a lot of effort. i can't beLIEVE their response though..HOW CANNED!
crazy.gif

------------------
Remember folks, you to can be another victim! contributed by DW.:)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Plus, they'd run the risk of people buying reports, (Maybe altering them) and presenting the (maybe falsified) data to people whom Nielson would prefer to have as Direct Clients.

One of the things to note in Neilson's reply is that they request All their customers to keep the data they receive Confidential.

Gee, you think maybe they prefer to be the Only source of Neilson Reports??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's their only source of income.

Is it that much different than the way JMS protects his work and gets angry when people sell his scripts and bootleg copies of his work without his involvement?

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:

I have no idea what it would have cost, but it shouldn't have been more than a few hundred dollars, especially since I was asking for very little data (only the three airings of this one pilot).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You wanted both national and local numbers, which is two different databases.

But, that isn't the issue at all.

The issue is being set up AS A COMPANY to handle a class of customer (the average curious consumer) that they aren't set up for.

The people you dealt with are not in the position, nor do they have the authority to change the structure of their company.

Maybe you should have tried to talk to the CEO.

------------------

Whilst I too would be interested in how the numbers stacked up, I think Neilsen's response is both inevitable and understandable.

Inevitable by virtue of its tie-in to the TV and advertising industries, and not wanting to do anything that might water down that tie-in, and/or reduce their income stream.

Understandable because they would realistically have to charge much lower rates for figures provided to the end consumer for a single show.

And because the end consumer has no vested interest in not releasing viewing figures to all and sundry - so the chances are figures would be leaked on boards like this, rendering their confidentiality agreements with corporate clients useless and reducing the commercial value of the data they produce.

Don't you just love Capitalism ???

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Let me be the first to say that this is the nuttiest idea you've ever had."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SavantB5:
You wanted both national and local numbers, which is two different databases.

But, that isn't the issue at all.

The issue is being set up AS A COMPANY to handle a class of customer (the average curious consumer) that they aren't set up for.

The people you dealt with are not in the position, nor do they have the authority to change the structure of their company.

Maybe you should have tried to talk to the CEO.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah, like a CEO would have time for me.
crazy.gif

Somebody over at rast suggested that I try to see if I could purchase the numbers, so I figured, "Why not?" and gave it a shot. I figured there's no way in hell I'd get 'em for free. I expected to be given a number I couldn't afford, and that would be the end of it. If on the slight chance they did sell me the numbers for a price I could afford, so much the better.

What I didn't expect was to be told that they wouldn't even sell 'em to me (with restrictions on the information's use of course).

What it boils down to is this. People in the general public are not allowed to know. That way, we cannot second guess anything the networks or studios do, because we can't see the numbers. They are free to release whatever massaged numbers that make it look like their decisions made sense, i.e. they sometimes allow us to see "goodfacts" but not "realfacts" (to use DoFS terms).

I'd just prefer to see the unvarnished data, instead of the massaged data that they'll release to justify their decision.

Oh hell, why do I even care?
crazy.gif
I'm going to put this whole mess in the same category with Farscape, ... I'm just going to let it go.

If Sci-Fi never says another word about B5:LotR/Crusade/B5, fine. At least I have my tapes and the books.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:

What it boils down to is this. People in the general public are not allowed to know. That way, we cannot second guess anything the networks or studios do, because we can't see the numbers. They are free to release whatever massaged numbers that make it look like their decisions made sense, i.e. they sometimes allow us to see "goodfacts" but not "realfacts" (to use DoFS terms).

I'd just prefer to see the unvarnished data, instead of the massaged data that they'll release to justify their decision.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing is that even if you knew every byte of ratings data, it still wouldn't give you insight into the most important parts of the decision.

Those have to do with financial issues at Warner Brothers and financial issues at SciFi. Nielsen can never give you a number that will tell you what the "magic agreement" is that would make this a series.

They are just ratings. Numbers on a piece of paper. They won't provide us with the true answer to what you seek.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back