• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS confirmation of ratings

D

**DONOTDELETE**

From the moderated newsgroup:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
>Now that there's been time for everybody who could see the movie to voice
>their
>reactions, my impression is that most of us liked it enough to want to see
>where you would go with the series.
>
>How do you feel about the reactions to Rangers? Is it about what you
>expected?
>Encouraging? Discouraging?

What I've learned over the years is that no matter what one does, there will be
a certain percentage who love it uncritically, an equal (but often much louder)
percentage who hate it uncritically, with the majority somewhere in the middle.
The thing you have to do is make sure the number stays more in the middle or
leaning toward liking something than not.

And adding it all up, it seems to have done the job. It's been overall far
more positive than negative. Criticism? Sure. That's what a pilot is *for*,
to find out what does and doesn't work. You try shit. You experiment. Some
will like it, some won't, which is all to the good.

The fulcrum on which all this now rests is the ratings, which have gotten kinda
weirdly skewed.

We heard what we initially thought were disappointing figures, that we'd done a
1.7 when SFC was hoping for a 2.6 or better. It kind of puzzled everybody
because the B5 audience is generally pretty reliable.

It became even *more* puzzling when the more detailed figures came in, showing
that by quarter-hours, the show *gained viewers* and did not lose them.
Meaning folks who came on the show by accident, stayed to watch. It should
have been much higher than it was.

Then the final market-by-marked figures came in from the studio, and we had our
mystery resolved.

The east coast ratings got hammered by the football game, which was the highest
rated such game in something like 5 years. The B5 male demos are pretty much
the same as for sports, and we lost heavily to football. So there we did not
do well.

By contrast, on the west coast, where the show aired *after* the game had
finished, we not only met but *exceeded* SFC's expectations, getting a 3.2 or
3.6 in many markets, which is actually pretty unheard of for a basic cable
network.

The problem is that the average, 1.7, is still what's used for advertising. So
we have to see if SFC will look past the show getting hammered by a big
football event on the East Coast to look at the West Coast figures and see that
there is, indeed, a market.

It's in the hands of the TV gods from this point on.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

here's hoping Sci-Fi will be convinced by the west coast ratings.

------------------
"I walk, i shop, i sneeze. I'll be a fireman when the floods roll back. There's trees in the desert since you moved out ... and i don't sleep on a bed of bones."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>here's hoping Sci-Fi will be convinced by the west coast ratings.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't sound all that encouraging, but who knows.

------------------
Homer : Lisa honey, are you saying you're _never_ going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa : No.
Homer : Ham?
Lisa : No.
Homer : Pork chops?
Lisa : Dad! Those all come from the same animal!
Homer : Yeah, right Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

[This message has been edited by PsionTen (edited January 28, 2002).]

Oh, just admit it, PsionTen--you hate B5, you hate Rangers, & you are just here to cause trouble. Quit wasting our time.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Glad to hear that Sci-Fi is aware of the situation and considers it. As for Psion saying "who knows" -- what could I have against that? Nothing. In fact, I'm going to second his words. Who knows...
smile.gif

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Oh, just admit it, PsionTen--you hate B5, you hate Rangers, & you are just here to cause trouble. Quit wasting our time.
Tammy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Tammy since you asked so nicely I will explain myself. First off, I've been here for a very long time. If all I wanted was to "cause trouble," then I would have gotten my rocks off some time ago. My opinion swings differently than that of the majority, but that's just who I am. To answer your questions:

#1 -- I don't hate B5. I actually love B5, but I have no particular love for JMS or for Crusade.

#2-- I don't hate Rangers. Like I said, it was an average movie that should have been better.

#3-- As far as wasting your time goes Tammy, no one forced you to waste time posting me that nice love letter. If I annoy you that much, then boycott me... I will certainly do the same with your posts from now on.

------------------
"Dawn's in trouble? Must be Tuesday." -- Buffy Summers, "Once More With Feeling."

[This message has been edited by PsionTen (edited January 28, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gkarfan:

Oh, just admit it, PsionTen--you hate B5, you hate Rangers, & you are just here to cause trouble. Quit wasting our time.

Tammy

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because PsionTen isn;t falling over himself with optimism, doesn't mean he "hates" B5. Many share his feelings of uncertainty, yet this many still remain fans of B5, myself among them.

It is our right to question and to wonder, we waste nobody's time by it.

------------------
"I walk, i shop, i sneeze. I'll be a fireman when the floods roll back. There's trees in the desert since you moved out ... and i don't sleep on a bed of bones."

What really puzzles me is why SCIFI happened to choose that particular night to show the movie. They could have run it any time in the previous three months. Ah, well. The deed is done.
crazy.gif

Since JMS obviously got his ratings facts from the network, they are obviously aware of the full situation. It seems that a series would do well as long as it wasn't shown against football, or any other popular sport. I think we can still hope, but we may have to wait quite a while to find out.
frown.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMS:

[...] It became even *more* puzzling when the more detailed figures came in, showing that by quarter-hours, the show *gained viewers* and did not lose them. Meaning folks who came on the show by accident, stayed to watch. [...] By contrast, on the west coast, where the show aired *after* the game had finished, we not only met but *exceeded* SFC's expectations, getting a 3.2 or 3.6 in many markets, which is actually pretty unheard of for a basic cable network. [...]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All that sound very encouraging, we'll see !

laugh.gif
(I'm a positivist, Life is Beautiful)

------------------
"You are all in violation of security ordinance 22V3A. That means get the hell out of here!
"
- Zack

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
What really puzzles me is why SCIFI happened to choose that particular night to show the movie. They could have run it any time in the previous three months. Ah, well. The deed is done.
crazy.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In fact, as I understand, they didn't *choosed* to air in the same time as a NFL match. They make their decision before the NFL date was officialized. And when that happened, they already had a very extensive marketing campaign already done for that date. SFC was simply and purely backstabbed (without any bad intentions from NFL, of course).

What puzzled me more is WHY the hell a fan of the B5 can actually watch a football match instead of a B5 pilot ... damn it !
crazy.gif

- Garibaldi's Hairs

------------------
"You are all in violation of security ordinance 22V3A. That means get the hell out of here!
"
- Zack

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> What really puzzles me is why SCIFI happened to choose that particular night to show the movie. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone already addressed this in another thread, but It has something to do with the NFL schedule being moved around after they missed a week following 9/11.

It's just another piece of fallout from a terrible event, though it gives me another reason to want to get Bin Laden
mad.gif

------------------
Never use the expression "I've got your six" to a Centauri, unless, of course, you mean it.

The show has about as much chance of surviving a centauri in a room full of angry narns.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> What puzzled me more is WHY the hell a fan of the B5 can actually watch a football match instead of a B5 pilot ... damn it ! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because a B5 fan can also be a football fan, as the ratings clearly show.

And remember, we're talking about a playoff game here. In the snow. The Patriots at the time were creating a big buzz, doing much better than expected, and now appearing the Superbowl. This had the making of a fantastic game, and boy-howdy did it deliver.

Besides, someone very concerned with watching the Rangers movie would have taped it or watched a rerun. I personally was recording it with my Tivo while watching the game through the cable input on my TV. That is, if they had taken into account what my cable box was set to, it was Rangers.

But I'm a big enough home theater enthusiast to set this up. Most aren't. If I was forced to choose between the two, I would have easily picked the Pats game, even though I'm a hardcore B5 fan.

Also, most people don't know that a possible series depends on the ratings. Sure, we know that, but most people don't crusie around the internet reading about this stuff on messageboards.

Sports is a live event- people want to watch it live. A movie, on the other hand, can be watched whenever. Heck, it's better to watch it after you record it so that you can fast forward the commercials.

And while we're on the subject, can we stop with the football bashing? Yes, we're pissed that it hurt the ratings, but that's nobody's fault.

And no, football isn't "mindless" and "stupid," and don't defend that sentiment by stating it's your "opinion." I've known many people who were supposed to be smart who couldn't follow a "mindless" football game.

I'd even say that a huge problem in this country is the lack of enthusiasm for sports, especially participating. The whole "jock" vs "geek" thing is so junior high school. Grow up.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

TriggerHappy, it's the way PsionTen says things that annoy me. He just seems like he's a troll having fun at our expense. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Look, everyone just take it easy for a moment. Tammy is only expressing frustration that we all feel regardless of what we thought of the pilot. The sad fact is that fate has an interesting way of playing games with B5. Yet, the battle is hardly over. There is room to be optimistic. Please see the subject of the next post

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> What puzzled me more is WHY the hell a fan of the B5 can actually watch a football match instead of a B5 pilot ... damn it !

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cause it was one hell of a game! Personally I am not a HUGE football fan, but I do get into things for the playoffs. I spent that night at a bar with some friends, and a few women, watching the game. Playoff football is very much a social event for many people, even non football fans. I am also a diehard B5 fan, but why would I pass up a night of beer, women, partying, and watching an amazing football game to stay home and watch TV there when I can record it and watch it anytime? This by no means I dont support the show and want it to air, but I could have (and did) watch Rangers any time, but the only time to catch the game with friends was when it was on the air.

Any show going up against NFL playoff games and the Superbowl is bound to lose. It was just bad luck, we will get through it
crazy.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

I must be living in Down Below, cause I didn't even know there was a football game that night
laugh.gif

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
I'd even say that a huge problem in this country is the lack of enthusiasm for sports, especially participating. The whole "jock" vs "geek" thing is so junior high school. Grow up.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto. Aside from the precious 1 thousandth of 1 percent of people that get special treatment because of athletic competition, participating in team sports is one of the best character building experiences a person can have. There are so many levels of benefit to sports, and it's sad that it gets stereotyped by the same people that complain about being stereotyped for enjoying science fiction. I'll echo the sentiment to grow up.

I too watched the playoff game. I have 3 digital tuners, and ALL 3 of them were tuned to Sci-Fi for ALL 3 airings. If anyone is tracking this data, 'Rangers' would get full credit. But I recorded it on TiVo while watching the game on broadcast antenna. Even though my Raiders were robbed by a bad call at the end, it was an incredible game, and I can't imagine too many people flipped past that wonderful snow storm and didn't stop to watch the game. The playoff game itself was an event to behold, but combine it with the beautiful snow, and you have a massive draw. Forgive me for being so mindless, but I sure was entertained. Funny that American football gets so much criticism as being mindless when it's easily the most intricate team sport there is. The level of complexity of each play would boggle the minds of many.

das

------------------

Thanks for posting the JMS information. I can say that I agree with him in saying let's hope the Scifi channel is willing to take into consideration that the movie would have had better ratings in the EST if it had not gone up against a football game that wasn't even scheduled for that time until long after Rangers was. Plus, the series itself if it is made, isn't going to have to compete with football every day, unless they're stupid enough to put it on Sunday afternoons, or Monday evenings after 9pm EST, which is not likely anyhow.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Because a B5 fan can also be a football fan, as the ratings clearly show.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would have understood a little bit more if it was hockey playoff, but football ... man !

(is it obvious I'm a canadian ?
lol.gif
)

------------------
"
- Zack

And no, football isn't "mindless" and "stupid," and don't defend that sentiment by stating it's your "opinion." I've known many people who were supposed to be smart who couldn't follow a "mindless" football game.

I'd even say that a huge problem in this country is the lack of enthusiasm for sports, especially participating. The whole "jock" vs "geek" thing is so junior high school. Grow up.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Woooo calm down dear GKE
laugh.gif
. I'm sorry if I shocked you. You have to understand that from my point-of-view, a B5 series is jeopardized because of a sport I don't like. Think like if the same happened because of a "Cricket" playoff. Man you'll be a bit disappointed too :)

And NO, I don't think football is a mindless game (I barely understand the rules, so I don't want to place myself below a mindless sport
lol.gif
)

- Garibaldi's Hairs

P.S. And just to be on this subject (sorry for that off-topic) IMHO I think that US clearly don't have any problem regarding sports interest compared to Canada.

------------------
"
- Zack

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back