• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Is the SF media ignoring RANGERS?

I just want to add that most B5 fans were already trek fans, not so the other way around. When B5 fans complain about Trek it's usually fans of Trek lamenting a once loved show that has gone wrong. To many of us B5 was what Trek should have been meaning interesting story lines, character depth and character development.

I liked later DS9, after Paramount turned their eyes towards Voyager(about as interesting as a potato).

------------------
Bus
"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'." Grandpa

The reason I got into B5 wasn't because I was fed-up with Trek--I was fed up with *all* TV. B5 was a pleasant surprise--a series that lived up to what I wanted television to be. And it came along at a time when I felt I would *never* get to see a truly good series again. It came at just the right time for me.

Tammy

------------------

One thing I've noticed in the UK. Many Sci-Fi publications over here couldn't get enough of faked/makeshift Enterprise photos depicting the captain and the ship a few weeks ago.

About the same time, the first official B5LR cast photo was released (the one showing them standing in a small group). Do you think that this picture appeared in ANY of the above mentioned publications? NOPE. Do you think any faked/makeshift B5LR photos OF ANY KIND appeared in ANY of the above publications? NOPE.

In fact, the largest article I've seen on B5LR was about 1/8th of a page in size.

Publications in the UK continue to dedicate WHOLE ISSUES to the Star Trek franchise, whilst anything B5-related has all but been forgotten.

It sure is irritating!!!!!!
------------------
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Bester (edited July 22, 2001).]

That's strange, Bester, because B5 was always more popular in the UK than it was in the US (which is why I wasn't surprised that the B5 magazine came from the UK & not from here). I guess you can't escape the dominance of Trek even in the UK.

Tammy

------------------

Babylon 5 WAS very popular over here during its original run on Channel 4. But since it finished on C4, it's been kinda forgotten (even though the Sci-Fi Channel has been re-running it ad infinitum
smile.gif
)

------------------
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Bester (edited July 22, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I liked later DS9, after Paramount turned their eyes towards Voyager(about as interesting as a potato). [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Myself, I have any many fascinating discussions with potatoes! Idaho, Maine, and Long Island, among others. Some potatoes can be very sweet!

As a matter of fact, I think I'll have a potato to dinner tonight!

laugh.gif

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Publications in the UK continue to dedicate WHOLE ISSUES to the Star Trek franchise, whilst anything B5-related has all but been forgotten.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two Words:

Advertising Revenue.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

I'm glad I'm not seeing anything right now publicity-wise. And, if you think about it, there are little tidbits here and there - Internet articles, and even that one-pager in TV Guide, which is arguably the most-known industry magazine and the one that a LOT of people read. Even if they only scanned the article, it's in their heads that such a series exists.

I'm glad B5 isn't a franchise. I've never done any B5-fannish things, other than name my car the "Whitestar" and run around with a bumper sticker that says "Zathras Brothers Auto Body and Valen Support. We Have Always Been Here. Since 2258." And that one I made myself.

And think about it. People are getting sick of Trek. I loved Trek. I am now sick of Trek. Yeah, I'll watch the new Trek, but just because they promise new things. If it's the same old, same old, I'll drop it like a hot potato.

The only thing I'm really scared about is if they market it like "young people in space." Yes, the cast is younger, a lot younger than B5's. There's the potential to take that youngness and screw things over in the marketing.

I think we have to face the fact that B5 will NEVER be the kind of show, marketingwise, that Trek is. That's a blessing and a curse, because - well, a blessing, because we don't have to deal with the marketing and the "don't hurt the franchise." We can see risks and get involved with a story that doesn't care. It's a curse because... well, if the ratings aren't there, they can't put on the show. In the end this business we support by watching moves on supply and demand, just like every other business ever created. If there's not enough demand for a widget, why keep on making the widget and losing money?

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back