• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Is the SF media ignoring RANGERS?

I don't think we can accuse the news people of Ignoring "Rangers". They can't Print news they don't Have. How much _Hard News_ do we have on This Site? That's all there IS. Everything else is speculation.

And, unlike Trek, Rangers doesn't have anyone Paying these magazines to publish a lot of speculative articles.

BTW, if anyone doesn't think they are getting Paid, check out the number of pages advertising Trek Toys and Merchandise.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

I think the only thing that is keeping the B5 franchise from being as big as Trek is the fact that it is so arc related. Although this makes the quality of B5 episodes better, anyone with half a brain can pick up on the Star Trek story line (especially Voyager) at any point in the series.

------------------
What are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet .. go 'quack'?"

"Cats."

"Cats. I'm being nibbled to death by cats."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>...anyone with half a brain can pick up on the Star Trek story line (especially Voyager) at any point in the series.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heck, anyone with half a brain can write or executive produce Voyager - at least the Voyager Paramount wanted to see. It's been proven time and time again.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Heck, anyone with half a brain can write or executive produce Voyager - at least the Voyager Paramount wanted to see. It's been proven time and time again.
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, in a further move to reduce the staggering amount of electricity required to produce effects heavy Trek shows, Paramount announced that producers for the new show will now share half a brain between them... alternate days.

The seventh day is for the battery to recharge.

Ro

I have no surviving enemies. At all.

Galen

[This message has been edited by Technomage Roanna (edited July 17, 2001).]

I think UPN is greatly responsable to Voyager's rating taking like it did. The writers not having anything original didn't help either. But UPN people told the makers of Voyager, We never want more than a 2 parter. "We want somebody to sit down who never heard of Trek and be able to pick up the show." When on the other hand the 9 to 10 episode story arc DS9 was doing (ala B5), was very popular.

The Story arc's type shows are sometimes hard to follow from the middle, but for people who like the show's concept will go back and watch the older episodes, either during repeats, syndicaiton or VHS (and hopefully soon DVD).

But its like a soap opera style (as far as continuing storylines as oppose to storyline concepts of most soaps), I enjoyed all 5 seasons of B5. Now when you know the whole story, and you go back and watch season 1, and see the shadow ship for just a second, you see the plot treads forming.

Enterprise unfortnantly being on UPN, will suffer from the no more than a 2 parter rule I'm sure.

------------------
"Let's split up"
"Good Idea"
"Yea we can do more damage that way."

I think multiparters put too much of a strain on the half brain. The charge doesn't last that long
laugh.gif

After all I'm pretty sure the memory gets wiped during each recharging. This could explain why the same stories get repeated endlessly and why the characters start over from square one each ep.

------------------
Bus
"The pink ones keep ya from screamin'." Grandpa

Apologies, I posted a comment to this forum as a new thread... accidentally.

Providing material for scifi magazines/web sites is not hard.
It just takes action.
And even if these sites don't pick up on it, SciFi channel has its own "media" outlet in its news service.

We've seen reviews of the Enterprise's sets. Why not the new Rangers' ship?
We've seen interviews with the Enterprise's new captain. Why not the Rangers captain?
We've seen interviews with Enterprise directors. Why not rangers?
We've actually seen the new-old Enterprise as a stunt to maintain interest. What about the new Ranger ship?

I'm almost concerned at this lack of interest from Scifi. It's as though they are already disowning it...

------------------

We've given answers to most of these questions above. Why don't we read them?
smile.gif

In general:

Enterprise is the next series in a 30--plus year old franchise that has become a part of pop-culture world wide. It has spawned four series, an animated TV show, nine feature films and innumerable books, comic books, action figures, scholarly articles lunch boxes and parodies.

Grandmothers who have never watched an episode of any SF TV series have a rough idea of who Kirk and Spock are, and when Jay Leno makes a Klingon joke in his monologue, they get it. Millions of Trek fans around the world buy almost anything with a Starfleet symbol on it, and the newstand sales of most major magazines jump whenever they do a feature article or cover story on Trek

Rangers is TV movie based on a TV series that most science fiction fans have barely heard of, and which barely managed to last five seasons, narrowly missing cancellation each and every year. The previous spin-off lasted 13 episodes. Nobody ever sold a lot of extra magazines because they had a B5 story inside.

Enterprise is a confirmed series with a completed pilot and several episodes already in the can. It was in pre-production months ago. It is now mid-July. The show debuts in September, less than two months from now.

Rangers is a single TV movie. The CGI effects have just been completed. They weren't even available for the promo that Sci-Fi put together to air during the debut of The Chronicle, they had to use old shots of the Victory and Excalibur from A Call to Arms.. It is now mid July. Rangers doesn't air until January. It is a little early to crank up the hype machine.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>We've seen reviews of the Enterprise's sets. Why not the new Rangers' ship?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because the Enterprise sets are still standing and being used, so that reporters can tour them when the show isn't shooting. Rangers finished shooting a month ago. Odds are the sets were struck and put in storage so that the next production can use the soundstages.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>We've seen interviews with the Enterprise's new captain. Why not the Rangers captain?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Captain of the new Enterprise is an established American television star with not one, but two popular and critically well-received series under his belt. He has a two hour introductory episode and several other episodes to tell amusing "war stories" about, and has enough "material" that he can do several interviews without exactly the same quotes appearing in all of them.

The Captain of Liandra is a relative unknown to U.S. audiences. He has one two hour movie to discuss, and will quickly start repeating himself if the interviews focus solely on Rangers.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>We've seen interviews with Enterprise directors. Why not rangers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because there has only been one Rangers director and nobody wants to interview him five months before the picture airs.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>We've actually seen the new-old Enterprise as a stunt to maintain interest. What about the new Ranger ship?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Five months until we see the pilot. Eleven months before the series can possibly get on the air. Don't you think they might want to keep a few things to hype the show with, instead of putting all their cards on the table now?

I must say, Sci-Fi fans are the whiniest, most suspicious bunch of people I know. If a network doesn't do exactly what the fans think they ought to be doing - whether or not that is realistic in terms of production, promotion, marketing or anything else involved in the real world of making television - it immediately becomes a deep dark plot by the network to kill the project.

Like The Sci-Fi Channel just spent the better part of $4 million dollars making Rangers, devoted a sizeable chunk of its face time with the TV critics in L.A. last week to the movie and is running teaser promos now as part of its major push for the rest of the 2001/2002 season because deep down they really don't want to do it at all. Frankly, I blame this sort of thing on The X-Files.
smile.gif
Everything has to be a conspiracy.

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited July 17, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
We've given answers to most of these questions above. Why don't we read them?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must say, Sci-Fi fans are the whiniest, most suspicious bunch of people I know.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch. Joe's on fire!

------------------
"This is the White Star Fleet. Negative on surrender...we will not stand down."
"Who is this? Identify yourself."
"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth ... I am Death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

Yes, it is waaayyy too early for Rangers promotion. As the airdate gets closer, we will see more promotion. Since Rangers is a movie & Enterprise is a series, don't expect the amount of promotion Enterprise is getting. It won't happen. I still think Sci-Fi will make sure people know about Rangers, though.

Tammy

------------------

It reminds me of something one of the First Ones said:

"When it is time, come to this place. Call our name. We will be here."

I suppose I could also paraphrase in terms of promotions:

"Expect them when you see them..."

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

It seems like all the interesting SF not on "the networks" are all but ignored by most of the SF media sites. Rangers hasn't to my knowledge even been mentioned by AICN. Another show which has an interesting set of events occuring with it is Earth: Final Conflict in which the writers are going to bring back the main character (William Boone) that they killed off (literally) at the end of season 1. [Of course the shows taken such a dive in the past 3 seasons since Boone it would be a miricale to get it back to the level it was at in s1, but I digress] The only site to cover this news was SyFy Portal, which is basically a trek site so, most of its stories read about what Shatners reaching to the new series is. It's too bad the enterprise is starting out this season, mostly becuase everyone is too focused on it to notice the B5 universe. It seems like its never a good time for B5 it always has to put up with ST, like the comparisions between B5 and DS9 [Which I don't buy, they are different stories]

------------------

I have actually enjoyed the few episodes of Earth: Final Conflict that I have seen recently. It seems to be a decent show, although I can never seem to get in the habit of watching it.

As for the comparisons between B5 and DS9, I don't see it either. They are completely different. I think that was born out of a bunch of Trek fans saying "duh, they're on a station too paw, they must be a copyin us" (please note, I'm a Trek fan as well, although I have never said that
laugh.gif
).

------------------
Alec McClymont, 3D Artist
3D Artist - GVFX

We live for the one. We die for the one.

[This message has been edited by Slade (edited July 20, 2001).]

Well, there were a number of similarities, but in the end I think that B5 and DS9 were very different stories.

Of course you could never tell this to either opposing side.
crazy.gif

------------------
"This is the White Star Fleet. Negative on surrender...we will not stand down."
"Who is this? Identify yourself."
"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth ... I am Death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me."

"When it is time, come to this place. Call our name. We will be here."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What JMS always tells convention organizers is:
"We need a larger room. My People are coming."
cool.gif

And there are usually at least twice as many of us as the Con organizers are willing to believe. I've seen it personally. When they have to open the walls between ballrooms to accomodate the crowd, it tells the story.
tongue.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slade:

As for the comparisons between B5 and DS9, I don't see it either. They are completely different. I think that was born out of a bunch of Trek fans saying "duh, they're on a station too paw, they must be a copyin us" (please note, I'm a Trek fan as well, although I have never said that
laugh.gif
).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I think JMS said something to the effect himself during a chat.

Something like:
Question: How did you like DS9?
Answer: I liked if fine, except for the fact that they used the storyline for B5

That is nothing even close to a direct quote. But I think this comes from JMS himself.

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

The initial premises of the two shows do resemble one another, and when you consider that JMS took B5 to Paramount first it does begin to look a little suspicious. But the shows developed very differently after their first few episodes, and JMS has always made it clear that he never thought the writers or producers for DS9 either were copying anything or would copy anything if told to.

He made it equally clear that he believes that Paramount development executives, who, unlike the producers, had access to the B5 materials, probably nudged them a bit in the B5 direction. The reason for this was less to borrow good ideas than to make the shows look enough a like that if DS9 got on the air first (which it did, barely), B5 would look like the copy.

After letting Trek sit in rerun hell for years, Paramount suddenly discovered it was the goose that can lay golden eggs one day, and from that time on labored mightily to convince the industry that TV can only sustain one outer space show at a time and that Trek was it. They've actively tried to kill "competing" shows ever since, and they certainly tried in the case of B5.

Co-opting some plot elements from the pilot script they read (the station itself, the jumpgate-like wormhole next to it - something that had never existed in the Trek universe before - and the "shape-shifter" character that JMS later dropped in favor of a Minbari assassin with a changeling net) helped make B5 look like a cheap DS9 knock off in the eyes of many fans, and this was no accident.

It is also no accident that they ran up huge overtime bills producing The Emissary and wrote it to be shot largely on the standing Enterprise sets from TNG. They had to make sure that their space station TV movie aired before Warner Bros. did. (They might have saved themselves the trouble since the B5 series didn't debut until a year later, but at the time they assumed that the series would immediately follow the pilot, as DS9 did.)

Anyone with a brain should have realized that was no way that Warner Bros. could crank out a "knock-off" TV movie in the time that elapsed between the two premieres - but there didn't seem to be many people with brains, or at least who were using them - in the SF community at that point. Most people seemed to fall for the Paramount party line. Those guys could have taught President Clark a thing or two.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Most people seemed to fall for the Paramount party line. Those guys could have taught President Clark a thing or two.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, most Trek Fans anyway. There are a lot of B5 fans who were mightily disappointed in Trek while watching the first episode of "Star Trek: The Kid Show".

We saw the announcement of "That Which Cannot Be Named" as the last great hope for SF on TV.
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back