• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

In the beginning

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Arrghman said
well i'm an oddball too... in a few years i'm gonna actually try to get a job doing that stuff... so its only natural that i'd be much more attuned, i guess, to the effects<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, joev5638 pretty much summed things up pretty well as far as special effects go, although I'd say they add more to my experience more than his. There's been many a time that my jaw went to the floor as he yawned.
lol.gif

As far as you going into the field, thats very interesting. Will you be working with a company that does TV/movie or Computer/Gaming software?

------------------
YOU ARE NOT READY FOR IMMORTALITY!

oh, i'd work for whoever would hire me! my dream would be to work for Foundation Imaging... but if im good enough to actually get hired by them is another story entirely!

but i ain't doing anything till i'm out of college, so...
wink.gif

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

The best B5-movie!

I too think "In the Beginning" is the best B5-movie of the lot! It is simply great , on par with some of the best episodes in the series. The other movies are cool too , but the first rules!

Can`t wait to get it on DVD here in Europe in April! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

dawnchild
/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I thought "In the Beginning" was a fantastic movie, and as we speak I have just ordered the Region 2 DVD of the movie /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif
Can't wait for it to arrive so I can watch it again and again and again and again..... You get the idea /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Icarus

In The Beginning is my all-time favorite B5 movie. No matter how many times I watch it, it's still interesting. Nice attention to detail, with "Arthur's" appearance, as Elizar mentioned, and the scene with Ivanova giving her brother the earing. We also get to see the incident with Franklin and his notes on the Minbari, and Sheridan blowing the Black Star straight to hell. And, of course, the Battle of the Line.

Some very powerful scenes in this movie. This one comes to mind:

<font color=yellow>"The Humans, I think, knew they were doomed. But where another race would surrender to despair, the Humans fought back with even greater strength. They made the Minbari fight for every inch of space. In my life, I have never seen anything like it. They would weep. They would pray. They would say good bye to their loved ones and then throw themselves, without fear or hesitation, at the very face of death itself. Never surrendering."</font color=yellow>

... and, of course, the President's speach near the end of the movie, along with the creation of the Babylon Project. I also liked how JMS tied the movie in with the events in "War Without End" at the end.

Excellent writing, excellent CG, and an especially excellent soundtrack. I really love this movie. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyone read the novelization? I've heard it adds a lot of material that never made it on-screen. Guess I'll have to pick up a copy.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr><font color=yellow>Anyone read the novelization? I've heard it adds a lot of material that never made it on-screen. Guess I'll have to pick up a copy.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>I have seen different opinions. But personally I found it interesting. It does add a lot. From little bits to details of larger scale... so if you can get it without too much trouble, I would recommend.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by A_M_Swallow:
<font color=yellow>In the UK the DVDs for "In The Beginning" and the Babylon 5 pilot "The Gathering" went on sale today.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote> Ayup , can`t wait to get my hands on my pre-ordered R2-DVD of "In the Beginning" !! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

I have read the novelization of In the Beginning, and I enjoyed it very much. It was for the most part true to events in the movie, some parts word for word with lines spoken in the movie. I think the novel was a very good version of the movie, one that is definitely worth reading.

This was hands down the best B5 movie IMO.

Not for being the start of the story, or for seeing the characters earlier in their lives and how they participated in the War, but for sheer dramatic presentation.

The dialogue was great, the story was great as well. Being told from an old Emperor Mollari's point of view was an excellent, and somber touch. The music was excellent and flowed with the movie well. And the whole feel was a very dramatic and humbling experience --- especially the last 15min. Very moving indeed.

Biggest problem of ItB is the fact that the war never seems to end. It starts and then in the middle of the last battle, Londo's voice over jumps in and explains that the Minbari surrendered. I myself would have liked to see how the people in both sides reacted when they heard that the war was actually over.

And by the way, Thirdspace really sucks.

Regards,
TheInfection

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheInfection:
<font color=yellow>Biggest problem of ItB is the fact that the war never seems to end. It starts and then in the middle of the last battle, Londo's voice over jumps in and explains that the Minbari surrendered. I myself would have liked to see how the people in both sides reacted when they heard that the war was actually over.

And by the way, Thirdspace really sucks.

Regards,
TheInfection</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Well you do see all the guns of the Minbari ships go silent right at the end as Londo is speaking. As for how people reacted, well we see plenty of that from Sinclair and others in Season 1 of B5. 10 years later and some people still were having trouble coping with it.

Biggest problem of ItB is the fact that the war never seems to end. It starts and then in the middle of the last battle, Londo's voice over jumps in and explains that the Minbari surrendered. I myself would have liked to see how the people in both sides reacted when they heard that the war was actually over.

well, when Londo says, "for the next 10 years, one question would obsess a hundred worlds: why did the Minbari surrender at the battle of the line? on the very eve of victory. the answer to that question would change the galaxy forever" I get a mental image with Earthers celebrating, Minbaris confused, and a great many huge "?" popping up over all the other planets.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back