• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Hello from a long winded Cap'n Dave

Re: Hello from a long winded Cap\'n Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:
I can't tell you what it means to me to be working with such high class guys as Joe and Doug Netter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you aware that you've worked for them before?

channe, we need to convince scifi.com to have another live online chat with JMS. The last one (first one, I think) was cut in half because of technical problems. It was still great to hear his answers while the technology was working. And yours is the kind of question that might have a good chance of getting past the monitors.
cool.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

Welcome aboard, Captain.

I'd like to add my voice to those encouraging you to check out the original B5 series. Unlike others though,I have to say you really should watch from the beginning right through to the last episode. Yes, the meat of the series is in the middle 3 seasons, but as an actor, I think you will marvel over the character development in the series. You really can't apreciate this aspect of the show without seeing it from beginning to end. The relationship between Londo and G'kar is unbelievable to watch as it grows and evolves. If the series is a go (and why wouldn't it be?)the cast of LOTR will have a unique opportunity to try and revive the rich characterizations that made B5 what it is. If you see what is possible you will all know what to strive for...

As for being guardedly optimistic, never forget "Faith Manages". People All over the world want the series to happen; that's a LOT of Positive Thinking on your side!

------------------
The avalance has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Hello again and thank you for your warm welcome. Let's see, what were some of those questions? In regard to the origin of the name Martel, I'm not aware of where Joe picked that up. He seems to have a story behind everything he does, including names. I seem to remember him mentioning that someone's named after a foreign pasta dish he was eating one night, or something similar to that - I'm not kidding! Maybe Warren can remember better than I can. I think Warren also knows the story behind his character's name.
Someone had inquired about a letter writing campaign. In this case I really don't think a campaign would force the network to do anything it doesn't want to do, such as green light the series or push up the schedule for going ahead. Not that they aren't going to give us the go-ahead anyway (who knows...), but I just don't think you can force their hand. There's simply not enough B5 fans out there, and this is too big an expense and strategic decision for Sci Fi to rush ahead on. Now obviously there are a lot of B5 fans out there, everyone acknowledges that, but not at the level necessary for that kind of play. You have to remember that even the most popular shows on the the big three networks are hardly ever saved by letter campaigns. On the other hand letters never hurt a cause, and believe it or not, the powers that be do take notice of such activity. So I would say that if you feel so inclined, please write away, it certainly can't hurt! Before I go any further please remember these are merely the opinions of an actor. I've been in the business around fourteen years and have seen quite a bit, but I have been proven wrong many times over the years. These are just my opinions.
In regard to another question; absolutely everyone who posts here knows more about B5 than the cast. I have nightmares about being quizzed on the Shadow Wars or Vorlons - to say I'm a little behind on the learning curve is the understatement of the year! Gus Lynch though, if I remember correctly, was a follower of the series and was far ahead of the rest of us. Am I right in thinking that Gus? I haven't watched any of the seasons all the way through. We were all given a few episodes to watch up in Vancouver, and I believe the movie, "In the Begining". I mean I didn't even know what a Narn or a Centauri looked like, so anything and everything was a help for me.
Yes, Joe, Doug and I became aware of our "Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future" background. But of course it was a fan that drew that connection to our attention. We had no knowledge of it during casting. That was probably my second job in my career, roughly fourteen years ago, and boy was I ever pathetic! Come to think of it, it's a good thing they didn't remember me - I'm talking really bad. We had a good laugh at that though and marvelled at the coincidence and how life sometimes comes full circle.
Someone asked what I'm up to at the moment. Coincidently, since I was just talking about this in my post this morning, I was offered a new series this afternoon. I turned it down. Fortunately it was not a difficult decision this time. It's a new Canadian series called "Tom Stone" I believe, but they wanted a long term contract and the fine print wasn't worth me giving up on LOTR. Like I said this morning I do worry about a protracted wait, but believe me it's gonna take a lot for me to walk away from LOTR - it has such great potential! In the meantime I'm leaving for North Carolina tomorrow morning to return to "Dawson's Creek". I've been very fortunate over the past five years that when I haven't had a series of my own, I've been able to return to "Dawson's". They're a good group over there. I noticed the information regarding my bio is a little sketchy in the cast and crew section, but I intend to have that updated when Antony gets back in touch with me.
By the way, Andreas Katsulas is probably the finest actor I've ever worked with. The guy is unbelievable! Honestly I was a little nervous at the start, I didn't want to get blown away every time we had a scene together. On top of that, as I tell every director I work with, I can sometimes be a bit of a slow starter if that makes any sense to you. Andreas was such a gentleman and consumate professional, that any jitters I had quickly vanished, I can't say enough about the guy. He deserves to be a fan favourite. My favourite scene however may be with Mackenzie Grey, another scene stealer believe me. It wasn't so much the material as the way it was shot. The scene takes place in a very confined space with a very high level of tension involved. In these tight quarters we had Mackenzie and myself, a camera man, a focus puller, a boom operator and a camera assistant bouncing light into my eyes. Now on top of that our director Michael had all of us moving in concert if you will, to keep the tension up. So here I am having a very intense scene, circling with Mackenzie in very tight quarters with the camera literally hitting me in the side of the head in an attempt to keep movement while at the same time trying not catch any glimpses of these four "other guys" all circling with us in the room - not an easy task believe me. On top of that, the camera assistant is doing such a good job bouncing light into my eyes that it took every ounce of control not to cry since I was purposely trying not to blink much in this scene for actorly reasons. It was really quite comical at times since on certain takes, by the end of the scene there's tears streaming down my cheeks as I'm listening to what Mackenzie has to say. Not exactly what JMS had in mind for our captain at that moment... In the end it really turned out to be a great scene, more fun than I've had in a while and that was due in no small part to the talents of Mackenzie, a very gifted actor.
Well I guess that's it for now.

Cheers,
Dylan

------------------

Channe: I can't tell you anything about the CG in terms of who's in control of it. And telling you how long it takes to render would mean nothing unless I went into a full blown explanation of all our computer equipment and software (which I definitly can't do). In my limited experience you always have to wait for something to render. If you're lucky you'll have a render farm, so that while you're waiting for the all important render, you can still work on other things.

------------------
Alec McClymont, 3D Artist
3D Artist - GVFX

We live for the one. We die for the one.

I'll add my vote to the "watch the whole series" group simply because I think you'll all Enjoy it. Best reason I can think of to watch Anything.
cool.gif

It is fun to watch the Evolution of the characters.

G'Kar starts out as an Arrogant Bastard.
He slowly begins to become a "man in a trap" so that you beging to feel a little Sorry for him. Then, the situation kicks him in the teeth and you start to Admire his ability to cope with a hopeless situation. Gradually, he becomes a better and better person until he ends up the savior of his people, a holy man.

Londo, OTOH, starts out as a Buffoon.
He gradually shows us, first that he has a deep seated Anger, then that he has the potential to be a Great hero. Then he begins to make errors in judgement that are exploited to his detriment. He compounds those errors by not Acknowledging them, instead he embraces them and teh rewards tehy bring. He becomes the person everyone Fears, then he begins to understand the depths of his mistakes. And begins to fear himself.
Eventually, Londo becomes the man riding the Tiger. He acts nobly and heroicly to correct as much of the damage as possible, but events overtake him and you end up both admiring his courage & self sacrifice and pitying him for the situation he has been forced into.

And that's just TWO of the characters.

It's a roller coaster ride of a series.

And, often even More fun the second time around when you can spot all the foreshadowing JMS did. Dialog in season One that set the stage for things that didn't happen until Season Three. Or later.

The key to enjoying Babylon 5 is to always remember that it is all One Story. Told over 5 seasons.

You can bet that JMS will do the same sort of thing in Rangers. The story arcs won't be as tightly woven, since he will be sharing the writing duties a lot more than he did in B5.

Count the scripts in the Lurker's Guide that have "written by JMS" on them.
We think there may be a Guiness record there somewhere.
wink.gif

Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5
http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/

For those that don't already have the link.
The Lurker's Guide has a LOT of JMS posts about B5 from the beginning and continuing through the writing and airing of the series.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

We DO know more about Babylon 5 than the castmembers do. That’s why we’re known as fans.

But, really, castmembers- even if this was just a job to you (I’m a temp secretary, so I know all about “just a job”), go and get yourself tapes of seasons 2-4 and watch them. Take a weekend. Or do one every night. You won’t be sorry.

Oh, come on- they have to know SOMETHING about Babylon 5… right? Or did JMS tell you castmembers as much as a Ranger would know? How many of you know the origin behind the bumper sticker “Zathras Brothers Auto Body Repair: We Have Always Been Here, since 2258” or can quote Ivanova’s famous line about the chamberpot?

We can… which is why we all need lives.

I would laugh at ourselves so hard if one or more of these castmembers turned out to be pulling our legs. It’s been done before. I’d like to believe that I’m actually posting where the actual Dylan Neal will see it, and not some 15-year-old kid with a penchant for making us rabid fans jump off cliffs.

In a way being a temp secretary is almost like being an actor. You want a plum assignment but… dammit, you can’t wait until then, you have to work. So you pick up another series and let the assignment pass you by. I hope, hope, hope you all can work together again, because from what I've been hearing on this message board the cast has chemistry, chemistry, chemistry.

Oh, the comment about the lives? I’ll have one, as soon as I go back to school. A month from now. Until then, I live for the Fax Machine. I die for the Fax Machine. Say hello to the office secretaries… we're Worker Caste to your Delenn!

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

I apologize for calling you babyface.

Seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing you in the Rangers. I've never seen anything you've been in before, but if JMS is fine with you, then you definitely won't disappoint. My only problem was that you looked kind of young in some pictures. But once I saw screen shots of the Rangers trailer those problems I had were instantly disspelled. You look every INCH what a Ranger Captain should be!

So good luck! I hope Rangers gets picked quickly and I'm looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the cast for the next 5 or so years.
smile.gif

------------------
Lochley: You know what you are?

Gideon: Ruggedly handsome?

Lochley: A control freak!

Gideon: Can't I be both?

Hi Dylan--glad you could stop by! I have a question. Since you are doing Dawson's Creek, have you ever met Peter Jurasik? He played Londo in B5, & he has done a few episodes of Dawson's. I'm not sure what part he plays on the show, but at a con he described himself as "the old guy". I also told him about all of you at the con, & he wished you luck in getting a Rangers series. He also hopes that it goes a long time.

Tammy

Mr. Dylan Neal, I must say that it is a real thrill for us that you are posting here. I always come at least once a day to check out what you and Warren have posted. And anyone else I can catch. An inside perspective is something I NEVER thought I'd get from a bulletin board!

I would like to ask a small favor of you. I’m horribly pushy, you see I’m a mathematics instructor. Could you break your paragraphs up just a bit? It makes the entry so much less intimidating if there are breaks between the paragraphs.

Like this.
laugh.gif

I KNOW I'm going to get the flarn flung in my direction now!
shocked.gif
Not from you, I mean from everyone else!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I think Warren also knows the story behind his character's name. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe he said that he had asked to change the character's name to be Japanese, so that's where it came from.

Dylan, interesting story about that scene you did. And thanks for expressing your support for the series. It's great to know that the actors have an emotional attachment to the [possible] show. This is something you don't see a lot.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

G'Kar's Eyes,

Hello there! Well, I just read your posting and wanted to make a correction on a quote that was stating that "I" requested a name change regarding my character, whom originally had a Chinese name (Li Chen)...Well, I was all willing to play the role under "Li Chen", but "JMS" was so kind as to change the name of "Li Chen" to a Japanese name to reflect my heritage...thus, the name "Kitaro Sasaki".

I never requested a name change. I would have percieved that as being difficult, and the last thing that I ever do is request things! Especially when the role is quite significant as "Li Chen" was. The last thing I want to do is rock the boot so to speak if that makes any sense!

So, anyways, "Kitaro" is from the Japanese musician "Kitaro" (New Age Music) and "Sasaki" is from Zen Buddhism, which "JMS" has an interest to! I believe that he may have and still does study Zen Buddhism, but don't quote me on that...

All I remember is "JMS" walking up to me and asking me if I was comfortable with the name change...Firstly, I was blown away and completely thrilled that the name change had taken place! I was in awe! Secondly, if "JMS" named my character "Theodore"...of course I would have accepted that too! It's not my show...so...

The request that I did put out to "JMS" was if I could pronounce the name "Kitaro Sasaki" in a Japanese sounding way opposed to a Western way, and he answered quick and simply..."Sure"..."Do it"...

Wow! Cheers! -Warren T.Takeuchi- "Kit"

------------------

Sorry I worded it that way, I certainly didn't mean to imply anything negative. I meant to point out that the name did have something to do with the actor. I think this is really neat, it makes the show more organic. Duke Ellington and Charles Mingus did the same thing when they composed music based on the improvisational style of their soloists. It just goes to show you that great minds think alike.

Warren, I'll probably be paying close attention to the pronounciation of your character's name.

I was aware of both references, that is, the musician and the Buddhism, but I didn't connect them to the name until you pointed it out. Thanks.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitaro Sasaki:
So, anyways, "Kitaro" is from the Japanese musician "Kitaro" (New Age Music) and "Sasaki" is from Zen Buddhism, which "JMS" has an interest to! I believe that he may have and still does study Zen Buddhism, but don't quote me on that...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>He's said that there was a period of his life where he consumed every religious text he could lay his hands on, but that he finally setteled on atheism.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> He's said that there was a period of his life where he consumed every religious text he could lay his hands on, but that he finally setteled on atheism.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, JMS and I have much in common. I'm a lot prettier, though.
crazy.gif

------------------

HYPATIA-

No flarn flung at you here! I'm an information and graphic designer and I understand the need for White Space.
smile.gif

------------------
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited August 03, 2001).]

channe, thanks. I was afraid everyone would hate me for being pushy with our honored guests. But I gotta be what I be, right?

Kitaro, I didnt' know we tended to butcher names like "Kitaro". I thought it was pronounced "ki (as in kit)- ta (as in tah) - ro (as in row)". I'd stress the "ta" part, too. Any advice? I'd like to improve.

Sasaki would be "sah-sah-key"
Takeuchi would be "tah-keh-oo-chee"?
crazy.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:

I would like to ask a small favor of you. I’m horribly pushy, you see I’m a mathematics instructor. Could you break your paragraphs up just a bit? It makes the entry so much less intimidating if there are breaks between the paragraphs.

Like this.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I was just going to ask for the same thing!

smile.gif

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

That’s interesting. It works differently for everyone, that’s for sure. I’m reading every single religious text I can get my hands on and it’s only making me even more certain that I’m a Catholic. I’m not one to say that other paths (or even atheism) is wrong. That’s not my place.

The fact that JMS read all those texts and proclaimed himself an atheist is making me even more certain that JMS is not done with God yet, nor is God done with JMS. We look for God all our lives. Sitting there proclaiming that we don’t believe in God doesn’t erase the fact that as human beings we’re looking for him.

It may not be in organized religion. It may not be in established faith.

Writing can also be a bitch and destroy your faith forever. When you write, you think. When you write too much, you think too much.

And I’m thinking too much. Back to my daily phone jockeying. Can’t wait till school, can’t wait till school…

------------------
--

Members online

No members online now.
Back