• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Episode III photos *spoilers*

I seem to remember some JMS ramblings about Lucas seeing some B5 CGI battle scenes when they were both at an award show, Lucas for Young Indiana Jones. While I'm not implying that seeing the clips gave Lucas the idea it could have have shown him how far CGI had come. I think that was the gist of what the old JMS post was, take the hazy memory of a second hand observation however you like.

But, back on the topic; I still can't wait to see Ep III. I know it won't live up the hype. I enjoyed AOTC and I can't really complain about the crappy love story. I wouldn't be able to do any better. It's Lucas' universe, let him do what he wants. I'm just hoping I like it even better than Ep II.

With respect, Ep II was I thought the worst (save for the fight between Yoda and Dooku) out of the five SW movies.

Here's how I rate the Star Wars movies.

1) The Empire Strikes Back

2)Return of the Jedi (BTW does any one know if Jedi in this context is meant in plural or singular)

3)A New Hope

4)The Phantom Menace

5)Attack of the Clones (I'm sorry but Hayden Christensen was just painful for me to listen to)

My ranking of SW:

1) Empire (Directed by Kirshner and written by Kasden...what a hell of a team...and the one film with a full load of talent behind the scenes.)

2) A New Hope (What can I say...it's the original and the magic began there...Lucas was a director still trying to prove himself and still empassioned by his dream...boy has that changed. :rolleyes:)

3) Jedi (Marquand was a "yes man" director for Lucas and it showed. Even Marquand, before he passed, said he spent too much energy on the FX and not enough on the characters. And I think it's implied plural.)

4) PM and AoTC...what can I say...they had a few moments...but both sucked...let's face it.

CE :D

My list is pretty much same as CE.
I don't even include the prequels in it. That's not to say i don't enjoy them, but they are a differnt type of film to me.

Mind you, those EP3 pics look awesome, especially the new Starfighter, thanks Fas.

Uau!!! I was away for just a day and how fast people post msgs here..... A lot to answer.

Special Effects Issue
I must agree that LOTR had a better SX versus real scenarios. I also agree that GL exagerated in using CG characters and landscape. However this does not take his merit.
GL is the father of SX industry. As somebody said that B5 is the father of using CGI in shows.

For adults or kids
I was 12 when I first watched SW: New Hope. I believe, just using common sense, the IMPACT of being 12 years in 1977 and watching SW, and nowdays, being 12 years is not the same. Simply kids are used to see everyday amazing SX. Therefore it is not as impressive as SW was for our generation. I believe the next IMPACT that will have similar feelings that my generation had with SW is whenever the industry make a movie in holographic projection.
So, bottom line. Today´s kids may like SW, but will not be a surprise.

Somebody said that the 4,5 episodes were for adults, and 6 start focusing in kids with the Ewoks. Finally 1 and 2 was for kids. I agree with that, except episode 2. AToC has a lot of intrigue. Political intrigue that kids are not interested.

The Stories
No doubt that 1 and 2 explored too much the technics (mainly Special Effects), forgetting the story. TPM, specially the race is like being in a video-game. It is really unfortunate. But AToC I liked it (except the terrible acting performance of the romance between Anakin and the princess).

Acting
That is TERRIBLE in the TPM and AtoC. The team of actors are not even 20% of the acting in 4, 5 and 6

Episode 3
I will probably like the most of the first trilogy. I am expecting to see how Jedi will fall. How the Emperor will take control of the situation, how Anakin will be transformed...... I believe this episode will have more story to tell instead of concentrating in SX.

Well, I believe that´s all.

Except for one thing Za_Ha_Dum...you can't blame the actors in the prequels. Portman, McGregor, and Christianson have been critically acclaimed and acted their collective asses off in other films. Nope...this is a great example of what I was talking about in regards to the difference a director can make.

Don't blame the actors...they're all great performers and very talented. Blame the man responsible...George Lucas.

CE

Oh...and the scripts pretty much sucked, too. Hm...again GL. :rolleyes:

Colonearth,

I did not realize that. However, how come American Graffiti was well done (in acting matters)?

Actually I believe Portman, McGregor, are ok. But, PLEASE Christianson is really terrible.....

About the script, I agree that TPM was not good. But AtoC I think it was ok for the global story. For instance, it was a really interesting way to know how come suddenly the Empire got a lot of soldiers. The only script that it really sucked IMO was the love story. It was really silly, imature.

Colonearth,

I did not realize that. However, how come American Graffiti was well done (in acting matters)?

Actually I believe Portman, McGregor, are ok. But, PLEASE Christianson is really terrible.....

About the script, I agree that TPM was not good. But AtoC I think it was ok for the global story. For instance, it was a really interesting way to know how come suddenly the Empire got a lot of soldiers. The only script that it really sucked IMO was the love story. It was really silly, imature.

ZHD...Christianson is a good actor. Watch "Life as a House" where he gives a critically acclaimed performance. He has a new one out that he's reportedly wonderful in...but I can't recall the title just now.

Unfortunately he's a young and still somewhat inexperienced actor so little or poor direction can leave him seeming to be worse than someone with more experience and training like McGregor or Portman would seem under the same circumstances. The more experienced actor can insinuate more or create and evolve their character more on their own and have better confidence to do so. But inexperience does not equal "bad actor." Trust me, they are two completely different things.

As for the script for AotC...the love story unfortunately was one of the more important elements of Vader's past...sadly...it was not done well..and thus harmed the overall story. As for the video game that would be a movie...too many cartoons...not enough substance.

CE

For adults or kids
I was 12 when I first watched SW: New Hope. I believe, just using common sense, the IMPACT of being 12 years in 1977 and watching SW, and nowdays, being 12 years is not the same. Simply kids are used to see everyday amazing SX. Therefore it is not as impressive as SW was for our generation. I believe the next IMPACT that will have similar feelings that my generation had with SW is whenever the industry make a movie in holographic projection.
So, bottom line. Today´s kids may like SW, but will not be a surprise.

But, as my post above demonstrates, kids of today can still enjoy the original trilogy as movies in and of themselves, even without the "WOW" factor that SW generated in 1977.

The fact that my two love the original trilogy and were bored witless by both TPM and AoTC tells me that Eps IV, V and VI were good, exciting and enjoyable movies even without the "Wow, I've never seen anything like this before" factor, whereas Eps I and II just weren't.

Before the SW prequels he had written ANH, then co-wrote RotJ...he did not write one word on the best SW film...ESB.

Hmmm...I don't believe that's quite accurate. Never mind what the writing credits say. According to a variety of sources, including several that can be found on this site, Lucas did wrote most of the script for A New Hope, but about a third of the dialogue was ghost written by Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz (basically, all of the best lines). On both ESB and RotJ, Lucas wrote the early drafts, and Kasdan wrote the final two drafts (including the versions that were ultimately filmed), but some of the Lucas stuff survived to the end. On ESB, Leigh Brackett also wrote an early treatment, but she passed away shortly thereafter, and the movie went in a very different direction with subsequent iterations of the script.

That website has some interesting earlier versions of the scripts for all three movies. Check out this absolutely wretched early draft of Revenge of the Jedi by Lucas pre-Kasdan's rewrites. I think the reason the original trilogy was so good is because Lucas found talented people to rewrite his work. :)

No doubt about that...I've always maintained that a large part of why the OT was so good was because Lucas started something and more or less got out of the way and let the talented people work.

Wish he would do that now. :rolleyes:

CE

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere else, but i'll interupt all the Lucas bashing to note that Episode 3 has a title of 'Revenge of the Sith'.
IMHO, this rocks hard. :D :D :D

Actually, in this case (the title thing), I must disagree.

I did not really like the movie´s title. How come is a "Revenge" if the Sith are actually doing everything they planned? I would agree that the first movie (The Phantom Menace) had this revenge title. But now? As long as I know, actually this third movie should had been named "Attack of the Clones" or "Clones War".

Why people get so masturbatory over the NAME of a movie, I'll never know. Personally, I think the name "The Empire Strikes Back" is just as silly as "Attack of the Clones." But neither name kept me from enjoying either movie.

I did not really like the movie´s title. How come is a "Revenge" if the Sith are actually doing everything they planned?

Maybe because their plans to hide the clone army were foiled, and they lost a great deal of resources in the process? Or maybe because the Sith were all but destroyed by Light Jedi in the past?

It all ties in, anyway. In this movie, we see Anakin fall, and the Empire either forms or at the very least lays waste to anyone in their path. Pretty much sets up the thumb of oppression that people live under until "A New Hope."

The Sith want their revenge on the Jedi for reasons unstated in the movies, as mention by Darth Sideous in EP1, a fairly obvious motive.

Look outside of the movies and you will see plenty of reasons why...

mf_episode3_comiccon_promo1.jpg

mf_episode3_comiccon_promo2.jpg

mf_episode3_comiccon_promo3.jpg

:cool: :cool:

Back