• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Enterprise.. enough (SPOILERS for last few US eps)

ElScorcho

Regular
You know, I really thought they might be able to pull the Star Trek franchise out of the toilet, but they might as well just go ahead and flush it. Because anyway you look at it, it's just crap.

For the umpteenth time, they've taken an inventive approach to their presentation and turned it into something tedious and unwatchable. Scott Bakula's perpetually furrowed brow aside, the show has been on life support since the second or third episode of the season. The Xindi War arc could have really spiced things up, but all it has amounted to is mindless meandering and bickering between the two separate security forces on the ship. (And by the way - they've decided that they're definitely NOT coming out and telling us that Malcolm is gay).

My main beef with the current run of the show is the predictablity of the plot. In the last two episodes, I reached the conclusion within MINUTES of the opening credits. This week, the Captain was sprayed by an insect egg - all too readily dismissed as a defence mechanism - and then becomes maniacally protective of the eggs. Surprise! The spray made him think he was their mommy. For a series that seems to be geared toward an intelligent audience, they're not really giving us much credit.

In the previous episode, Dr Phlox puts the crew to sleep and starts having hallucinations. They almost seemed to go out of their way to show the audience that T'Pol was not not asleep with the rest of them. Yeah, I was really surprised when he walked in to wake her up. And they give us this to watch despite it having the EXACT SAME premise of a Voyager episode from one of its later seasons.

I can't believe that I actually thought the show was going to get better. I guess that with the distinct lack of quality scifi on TV, I had higher hopes that Trek would step up and fill the void. I was wrong. The only people left watching are the fans - and we're just being patronised at this point. Even if they can Berman and Braga tomorrow, it can't be saved.

Re: Enterprise... enough (SPOILERS for last few eps)

I got halfway through Season 1, and never watched it again. And from all that I've heard, it's not a decision I regret making.

How the mighty have fallen.

Re: Enterprise... enough (SPOILERS for last few ep

I will say that this show has potential, but yet no one has used it. Even if they never did the Xindi war arc, they still had plenty of stories to tell. I was hoping that by the 2nd or 3rd season of this show, maybe they would get into the start of the Federation and its origin. Even though the episodes are predictable, I just can't stop from watching because I'm afraid that the one episode I miss will be the only good one.

And I can't keep myself watching. I cannot begin to guess how many Enterprise episodes I have started watching.

I still think the dog is the most interesting character. :rolleyes:

True, Jolene Blalock is quite a good actress.

<snip>
(And by the way - they've decided that they're definitely NOT coming out and telling us that Malcolm is gay).

With the relationship he is building with Major Hayes one never knows... First they fight and then they .... !

My main beef with the current run of the show is the predictablity of the plot. In the last two episodes, I reached the conclusion within MINUTES of the opening credits. This week, the Captain was sprayed by an insect egg - all too readily dismissed as a defence mechanism - and then becomes maniacally protective of the eggs. Surprise! The spray made him think he was their mommy. For a series that seems to be geared toward an intelligent audience, they're not really giving us much credit.

In the previous episode, Dr Phlox puts the crew to sleep and starts having hallucinations. They almost seemed to go out of their way to show the audience that T'Pol was not not asleep with the rest of them. Yeah, I was really surprised when he walked in to wake her up. And they give us this to watch despite it having the EXACT SAME premise of a Voyager episode from one of its later seasons.

Hey, what do you want? This episode was quite cost-effective! Old script, two actors (and the dog isn't *that* expensive...) With ratings being this low lately, they just have to economize... ;)

I can't believe that I actually thought the show was going to get better. I guess that with the distinct lack of quality scifi on TV, I had higher hopes that Trek would step up and fill the void. I was wrong. The only people left watching are the fans - and we're just being patronised at this point. Even if they can Berman and Braga tomorrow, it can't be saved.

I wonder why B&B are still part of this! Why can them tomorrow, if you can can ;) them today? :D

I mostly agree with you on these particular two episodes, though I have to say that I quite enjoyed 'Proving Ground'.

The characters and actors are okay, but it's the scripts that suck. They need someone like Straczynski, but I guess he wouldn't write for Star Trek.

Anyways, they have to try harder in order to stay on the air. The ratings of 'Enterprise' are less than spectacular overseas, too, from what I've heard lately.

I'll keep watching and hope the episodes will improve.

And I can't keep myself watching. I cannot begin to guess how many Enterprise episodes I have started watching.

The dog is the most handsome character! :p

If any female character I've ever seen on Enterprise could be called a "dog" then I know I was wise never to post my photo here. :eek:

You guys have very rough standards. :(

One of my major concerns for this show was consistency. If you watch old Trek, the movies or even TNG, you see Vulcans dressed in loose-fitting clothing and flowing robes. Why is T'Paul the only vulcan with a skin tight uniform? I think she could perform her job just as well in perhaps traditional Vulcan clothing.

She's no dog in my opinion! That's why I offered to throw her a bone. :D ;) :D

Actually, my tastes in women's looks aren't always with popular opinion. I thought that Marilyn Monroe looked like a caricature of a woman, and wasn't good looking. And, I see way better looking women than Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock everyday. I do agree that Jolene's attire is strange for a Vulcan.

Is T'Pol's tight clothing a manifestation of certain current Star Trek creator getting boners over certain former Star Trek characters that used to wear significantly tight clothing on a former Star Trek series? Did he want to try to lure in an audience of geeky fanboys who haven't had much success in the world of sexual relations despite possessing desire for such?

Perhaps I'm being a bit forward in these statements, but what can I do about it beyond repression of my aggitation?

Is T'Pol's tight clothing a manifestation of certain current Star Trek creator getting boners over certain former Star Trek characters that used to wear significantly tight clothing on a former Star Trek series? Did he want to try to lure in an audience of geeky fanboys who haven't had much success in the world of sexual relations despite possessing desire for such?

Perhaps I'm being a bit forward in these statements, but what can I do about it beyond repression of my aggitation?

I think you are completely right with your statement.

Sex sells!

If any female character I've ever seen on Enterprise could be called a "dog" then I know I was wise never to post my photo here. :eek:

You guys have very rough standards. :(

I don't think T'Pol *looks* like a dog.

But I do think that in this episode she acted like a dog, because she couldn't do anything to help the doctor. The 'stupidity virus' suddenly befell her! :(

It was this stupid attitude of T'Pol during the whole episode that really pissed me off, even though she was just a hallucination of Phlox's.

The episode 'Harbinger' was a really bad episode, too. She sleeps with Tucker and tells him afterwards: 'This meant nothing to me. I just wanted to know what it was like to sleep with a human.' Hello? What about Pon Farr? This is the era before ST TOS and Spock was still subject to the Pon Farr cycle. Is T'Pol free to choose if she wants to mate or not?

I think T'Pol/Jolene Blalock are great, but it's the writing that sucks! :mad: :mad: :mad:

What about Pon Farr? This is the era before ST TOS and Spock was still subject to the Pon Farr cycle. Is T'Pol free to choose if she wants to mate or not?

With this show, I think it's more like the the writers feel free to ignore established Trek history and intrastory cultures to write whatever story they at the moment feel like writing.

Tuvok in Voyager even went through Pon Far if I recall correctly. I remember Paris suggesting Tuvok make a holographic recreation of his wife to help him through it.

But, Enterprise writers seem eager to not allow established Trek lore get in the way of them doing whatever they want with characters and plots.

Sex sells!

But that's just it, sex *doesn't* sell anymore, otherwise enterprise would be doing infinitely better (ratings wise) than TNG ever did.

But its not, and why is that? Because nothing is a substitute for good writing.

What they never seemed to understand is that the people who would tune into a show purely for the sex/lycra factor would automatically avoid a Trek show like the plague.

Did anyone catch the episode "Azadi Prime" last night? To me there were glimpses of what this show could be. A few parts were dark and gritty like DS9 was. Sure the writing wasn't that great, but some of the scenes stood out for me.

I did catch the last one, despite my disappointment with the last few, and I must admit that it didn't suck. :p
If all the shows were as good as that one, then I would have a better opinion of the show as a whole. Unfortunately, only one out of four episodes seem to be of a quality worthy of the once-great Trek franchise.

I also noticed that there was not a "To Be Continued..." announcement at the end of the show, even though it was left dangling there. But since the next few weeks will be repeats, we'll have to wait and see.

Back