• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

dr.who

Romana regenerated through the course of the show, IRRC.

SPOILER WARNING!!!

CE, this site:

http://www.gallifreyone.com/newstv.php#newsitemEEEkEAlVuyryAAgNwI

has different rumors to yours, saying that he will regenerate at the end of the show:

Wednesday Series Coverage
March 30
Has Christopher Eccleston's successor already been picked? The Mirror thinks so, bounding on the reports that Eccleston is waffling about coming back for a second series, and says that "Casanova heart-throb David Tennant is being lined up to play Doctor Who - just a week after Christopher Eccleston made his debut as the time lord." It notes that Eccleston has not committed to a second series, "and BBC insiders revealed last night that Paisley-born Tennant, 33, who played young Casanova on BBC3, is the man to replace him. Even if Eccleston does decide to stay on for another series, Tennant will have first refusal on the job after he goes. A Beeb source said: 'At the end of this season, you are led to believe that (spoiler, highlight for full details) the Doctor could be dead after he's saved his companion Rose - played by Billie Piper - and the Earth from the Daleks. But it turns out that there's a way for Rose to save him and that's how the second season starts. So she gets back to the TARDIS and is able to get the Doctor brought back to life. If Chris is still in the role, no problems. He's been brilliant and it will be good to have him back. If David is in the role, it will just be explained as the Doctor using up one of his regenerations, which has happened many times before. Lining up replacements isn't bad form - the BBC has a hit on its hands and is just doing what it can to keep it going.'" Tennant, obviously, is quoted as saying he's "flattered" but has not been offered the role. "I've never made any secret that I'm a big fan of Doctor Who and it's the reason I got into acting, but I haven't been asked to play the Doctor. I haven't been approached at all. ... It would be a great role to play, but as far as I know it's not up for grabs." But the Mirror says, that "Tennant WILL play the Doctor at some point - and will be asked to stay for the long haul. Even if Christopher returns for a second season and wants out after that, David will get the role. He is the hot favourite at the moment. He's a fan and incredibly talented as anyone who saw him on Casanova will testify. He'd be great for bringing in lady viewers in the same way that Billie Piper is bringing in the blokes." Obviously, this is almost completely speculative, but worth reporting... Meanwhile, it should be noted that David Tennant already has a connection to Doctor Who, having appeared in no less than seven plays for Big Finish, including "Colditz," "Medicinal Purposes," "Sympathy for the Devil" and the "Dalek Empire" series.

Note that it came from a UK tabloid, so will probably be utter hokum. Interesting to see how it pans out. It would actually be good to see a regeneration every season in some ways, giving the role a bit of 'coveted' position in which top or up and coming actors serve a small amount of time, only to move on. It would also end the type casting problems that have plagued pervious Doctors, and which Eccleston is so scared of...

I think that Eccleson didn't realise what he was getting himself into. Apparently he is quite a shy person (not sure why he became an actor then?). I saw him on Jonathan Ross last Friday and he looked very nervous when he was being interviewed.

He then looked pretty shocked when Ross showed him a to figure of the Doctor which looked like Eccleson. For someone who does not like publicity, having toy's in their image is not really what they want!

That would be amazing casting. I know some Harry Potter fans who really hated him as a choice to play Remus Lupin (they expected a hairy guy :LOL:), but he characterized the spirit of the character perfectly, IMHO.

I guess not having seen the pilot to the new "Who" makes me fear it really must have been pretty horrid for the man playing the Doctor to quit after just one short season.

And I don't believe anything I hear when it comes to explanations of why someone quit an acting job. Jobs are so hard to come by, and a successful jaunt as the Doctor would mean financial security for life, I would think (even if in a "Galaxy Quest" kind of way.

Maybe I won't be in such a rush to catch the new "Who" after all. :(

I think that Eccleson didn't realise what he was getting himself into. Apparently he is quite a shy person (not sure why he became an actor then?). I saw him on Jonathan Ross last Friday and he looked very nervous when he was being interviewed.

He then looked pretty shocked when Ross showed him a to figure of the Doctor which looked like Eccleson. For someone who does not like publicity, having toy's in their image is not really what they want!

Most actors are usually very shy people in their private lives...it's part of the mental make-up that drives an actor to act...to be someone else. That has nothing to do with it.

As I've said prior this, there is simply no way Eccleston didn't know what to expect from this role, so his excuse is just that, an excuse sent out (a rather overused one at that) to cover for the real issues in order not to harm the product (in this case Dr. Who's big return).

As for how they will replace him, I couldn't say, but to actually regenerate him completely, IMO, would be a waste, when they can replace him without doing so.

If the finale ends as they say, then that tells me they wrote it in such a way as to regenerate him on purpose...which stinks of inside problems that were going on the whole time...so they wrote themselves an out. (If that is true.)

Thewlis would be a great choice, as well, and again would NOT need a regeneration to take the role...it's called, use your imagination.

As to the Romana "regenerations" in the beginning of Destiny of the Daleks...much speculation has been out there as to just what that was. It is clear that Time Lords can regenerate at will and can be forced to regenerate (as was Troughton to Pertwee). However, what Romana was doing was not actually regenerrating into all of those forms each time she appeared. The best explanation for that was that she was projecting mental images into the Doctor's mind of what she might look like (Time Lords are telepathic to other TIme Lords after all). Meanwhile, the whole time, she had already regenerated into Lala Ward, since she first came out as her and last came out as her, the intervening "appearances" being to convince the Doctor of a decision she had already made.

I too believe that if they go the big screen as they are still wanting to do, that they should follow Paul McGann's doctor, since he showed a great deal of potential as the Doctor (though the US movie had its obvious problems). I've always felt his Doctor was shafted.

No...there is more behind the Eccleston exodus than they are telling and than we will most likely ever be told.

I just hope they don't waste a regeneration over this when it's really not necessary (especially if Tennant gets the role, since he so closely resembles Eccleston). I little thought and imagination goes a long way and keeps the tenth regeneration still years away.

CE

One thing that's worth bearing in mind...we're all looking at what Christopher Ecclestone says and thinking either it's an excuse, or its something he didn't realise...

There's also the possibility that he never intended to do more than 1 series? But he didn't announce that before it aired so as not to disrupt his friend's show.

@Darth; one thing that doesn't ring true int he tabloid story is that there is also a Christmas special confirmed which is between seasons 1 and 2, and *that* will be Ecclestone's last appearance...

@Darth; one thing that doesn't ring true int he tabloid story is that there is also a Christmas special confirmed which is between seasons 1 and 2, and *that* will be Ecclestone's last appearance...
It feels like Ecclestone decided to give up during filming but did not tell the BBC until they tried booking him for season 2.

Any change that he has a theatre show or film at 10 times the wage?

@colonyearth - you make some valid points, but I was commenting on what I have ACTUALLY seen. He looked visibly nervous on a chat show (even if some actors are shy, I can not recall ever seeing any professional actor look so nervous as he did).

I also saw his reaction to the figurine of himself - he did not know about it until he saw it on the chat show (he thought it was a joke at first) and he certainly didn't seem to thrilled at the prospect.

So, I agree that he knew the show would be big (which is most likely why he requested the part for a career boost), but he did not realise everything else that goes with being the star of a big SF show.

@Vonbloodbath - I know someone at the Beeb who informed me that the BBC usually sign actors up for 3 series, so Eccleson is most likely breaking the contract by leaving after 1 series (or they have come to some agreement).

Re: dr.who - SPOILERS

I wonder if I'll ever see it. Some think it was great, some utterly lousy. So, well, at least it sounds like it was different. And, lets face it, many a show wasn't at its absolute best in episode 1.

Hypatia May your dreams come true. :)

From alt.babylon5.uk

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&Cur=257&r=R2&title=627499&P36=GSKUM

and

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&Cur=257&r=R2&title=627502&P36=GSKV8

They would be, respectively:

Dr Who (new series)...

Volume 1 (first 3 eps) @ £11.99 (RRP £15.99) due out 16/5/2005

Volume 2 (next 3 eps) @ £11.99 (RRP £15.99) due out 13/6/2005

No details are given for extras, etc, just the bare bones
information as above.

VinceH

I heard they were coming out "on the cheap" in the summer, then re-released at Xmas with features. Can't remember where I heard that though...

@Elric; maybe, but I don't think you can blanket the whole BBC with one practice (e.g. it's BBC Wales that are running Dr Who)...

Not to mention there are always exceptions, and I imagine CE (same initials as ColonyEarth...coincidence? ;) ) would be the kind of guy who might get such an exception. Unless your friend knows more than they're letting on?... :)

VB

Well, that's Region 2. I suppose it's a safe bet they'll be out in Region 1 sometime after May?

May is a pretty quick release date, isn't it? I think they just showed the second episode this weekend. That'd be a pretty quick DVD release, wouldn't it?

Yip; I think they're rushing the no-frills package out, perhaps precisely because of the International problem.

the second ep was on yesterday; and very good it was too...explored some of Rose's feelings on running off through time with a strange alien, and also featured tons of alien races. It had a slightly Farscape-esque feel to it, IMHO.

VB

Well, now that I know I'll probably get to see it soon-ish, I should stop reading this thread, I suppose. :LOL:

Well, now that I know I'll probably get to see it soon-ish, I should stop reading this thread, I suppose. :LOL:

Can your equipment play Region 2 DVDs?
Many tvs and DVD players can. Most PCs can.

There's also the possibility that he never intended to do more than 1 series? But he didn't announce that before it aired so as not to disrupt his friend's show.
Scifiwire ran a story a few days ago about Who, quoting the BBC as apologising to Ecclestone for misrepresenting his reasons for not filming a 2nd series...Click here for the story...

:D

VB

Well, I finally saw the first ep, and I thought it wasn't bad, and quite in keeping with Whovian traditions. It could become rather good... or not. I'll keep watching. The one thing that really threw me was the Dr.'s apparent racism. At one point he refered to Rose's black boy friend as a "domestic," and later made it painfully clear that he wasn't wanted. What is up with that? I know they were showing the Dr. as a bit arrogant, and certainly eccentric, but why the racism?

The one thing that really threw me was the Dr.'s apparent racism. At one point he refered to Rose's black boy friend as a "domestic," and later made it painfully clear that he wasn't wanted. What is up with that? I know they were showing the Dr. as a bit arrogant, and certainly eccentric, but why the racism?
Uh...I don't think that had anything to do with race, mate? :)

Neither that article or the BBC's website say why he left. Just that he only planned to stay 1 year.

Aye, I know...but that's what I suggested earlier... :D

3rd Ep was on last night, was good (the one with Charles Dickens in it...)..what's especially interesting is the little hints at a bigger story they're dropping in that, if you're a fan, you spot right away, but go completely over the heads of less devoted fans.

VB

3rd Ep was on last night, was good (the one with Charles Dickens in it...)..what's especially interesting is the little hints at a bigger story they're dropping in that, if you're a fan, you spot right away, but go completely over the heads of less devoted fans.

They do keep mentioning the Time War. Rose is beginning to pick up on it.

Well, I finally saw the first ep, and I thought it wasn't bad, and quite in keeping with Whovian traditions. It could become rather good... or not. I'll keep watching. The one thing that really threw me was the Dr.'s apparent racism. At one point he refered to Rose's black boy friend as a "domestic," and later made it painfully clear that he wasn't wanted. What is up with that? I know they were showing the Dr. as a bit arrogant, and certainly eccentric, but why the racism?
I suspect the written intended the part to be played by a white man. Normally for that sort role they would have made the character gay. For obvious reasons Rose cannot have a gay boyfriend and since they did not have a token black character they made the boy friend black.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back