• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

dr.who

Re: dr.who - SPOILERS

I'd forgotten about Chef. It's not one of the classics that gets repeated, which is probably why it's not on DVD yet.

Is it too old a series? It used to show on Saturday nights in Phoenix (their pbs station) and I"d catch it when I went up to visit my mother. Nothing I'd necessarily go out and buy, but I'd love to rent it. It gave me a good laugh. :)

Is it too old a series? It used to show on Saturday nights in Phoenix (their pbs station) and I"d catch it when I went up to visit my mother. Nothing I'd necessarily go out and buy, but I'd love to rent it. It gave me a good laugh. :)
Possibly. It could have been made before DVD rights formed a standard part of contracts. In which case they need to get permission from everyone including the second violins in the orchestra. You just need one person to want more money for the project to be put on hold.

Arrgh, Graham Norton!!!

I loved it, but can see why many might not.

It was a kids show, with adult overtones and appeal, just like Who used to be. Will be watching the whole thing.

This is interesting. I didn't much like the old Doctor Who, thinking it badly written with wooden acting. I quite liked the new one, with the tongue in cheek humour.

It seems this could be like BSG. People who loved the orginal hate the new version, and vice versa.

Demon, watch the old Tom Baker and Pat Troughton episodes where the Docter always had his tongue planted firmly in his cheek. It is the spirit and feeling of those early Doctors, from Hartnell to Baker the I, that Davies needs to tap into and claims he will.

I was dissappointed that he side-stepped a couple of great moments to at least tie into the previous Doctors and remind us all that this is, indeed, the same person.

This is a character arced show, so I will watch the entire first season before I judge. I want to see where he takes these people and how he ties into the threads of the past.

The Doctor is best when he remembers and ties back to his past, acknowledging events and encounters. It was during the J.N. Turner years that Doctor Who became too serious, drool, badly written, lost its vision, and began not acknowledging past Doctors and adventures whenever possible.

IE: Omega and the Doctor not acknowledging their previous encounter when Davison ran into him again. (The fact that the Nestene and the Doctor made no mention of the last encounters and that the Nestene was suddenly motivated in a sympathetic way and not just interested in takeover, and that the investigative guy made no mention of other Doctors in history that looked different was a major mistake.)

Another example of JNT's bad habit of trying to avoid past Doctors and encounters and be too serious was in Curse of the Fenric, where McCoy made a mantra of the names of all of his past companions to fight off the evil vampires...they were what he had faith in...but JNT made the editors muffle and muddle the mantra so no one could understand what McCoy was saying because he, JNT, thought that no one wanted any ties to the past or that they wouldn't know what he meant.

Right...it's such mistakes that where a part of the drooping ratings at the time. I hope RTD doesn't make the same mistake.

Hyp...word has it that we will get it here in the States, but that the Beeb hasn't announced with who just yet, as they are awaiting the last of the PBS contracts to expire first. Scuttlebutt has it's BBC America.

And before anyone lays into me...I loved Eccleston and Piper. I think they have lots of potential. I just hope the silliness gets a bit less and the storyline gets a bit more attention and, given that the characters are arced (what happens to them stays happened), then it's almost like a continuing tale so they can grow and we can get more and more backstory with each episode. It had some weaknesses that I think could've been avoided (and still have been everything Who), but it wasn't horrid and had potential.

I hope the next episode doesn't feel as rushed. I wish they had made the first ep. a two hour premiere as I think it not only needed one, but deserved one.

My friend in the UK will be recording them all to DVD for me and sending them to me. I can't wait.

CE

Hyp...word has it that we will get it here in the States, but that the Beeb hasn't announced with who just yet, as they are awaiting the last of the PBS contracts to expire first. Scuttlebutt has it's BBC America.

Just my luck: my cable company doesn't carry that channel. :rolleyes:

God news - the BBC is making a second season of the new Dr Who.
Bad news - Christopher Eccleston is leaving.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4395849.stm

Actor Christopher Eccleston has quit as Doctor Who after just one episode of the new series has been screened, the BBC has confirmed.

Eccleston, whose first appearance as the ninth Time Lord attracted around 10 million viewers, feared being typecast.

Talks are taking place to replace him with Casanova star David Tennant.

A second series of the new Doctor Who, which will again be written by Russell T Davies and produced by BBC Wales, has already been commissioned.

Billie Piper, who plays Dr Who's assistant Rose, is expected to star again.
{Snip}

I did not like David Tennant in Casanova so I will need convincing that he will make a good Dr Who.

That's one quick regenreation...

Damn...

Does Paul McGann count? His was quicker..

Isn't this guy only supposed to have 12 regenerations? Does Peter Cushing count? Assuming that's 3 left.. What happens then? Does he regenerate as a woman? :confused:

Paul MaGann has had the audios and has been aroundsince 1996, so he has really had nine years.

If we follow convention, we can have four more actors playing the Doctor. (Twelve regenerations, thirteen lives). If we had opne ayear, we would have a five year run, which isn't bad.

But still annoying.

I always assumed Hartnell was not his first regeneration, and that somewhere along the line he 'cheated' to get more regenerations, although this was never fully explained. 've no idea where I got this from, I may have even dreamt it.

I belive its the last episode of the Tom Baker arc 'Brain of Mobeius 'in which we see the Doc and the bad guy's (also a Time Lord) previous regenreations flash before our eyes.

That's one quick regenreation...

Damn...

According to RTD, it will be the same Doctor, different actor.

Here are my initial thoughts:

I was all of shocked, angered and saddened by Eccleston's choice to leave the role. But ultimately, I have to say that if his heart wasn't in it, then I didn't want him in the role.

Tennant will also be appearing in the new Harry Potter film, which bodes well for him.

I think it's a wise choice to keep him as the same doctor and just change the actor (perhaps they will come up with a creative explanation for this, which would be really cool -- like his regeneration went amiss somehow and some months later his face altered again slightly, yet it wasn't an actual regeneration). This would keep the Eccleston year open to more stories and the Tennant era (should he actually sign on) open as well, while the whole time not loosing a regeneration.

Ultimately, I think this was a very bad decision on Eccleston's part, however, as was pointed out, we don't really know what was going on that caused his decision. What was stated to the press isn't always the truth, or might contain some kernel of said truth.

The old excuses that he didn't want to be typecast and that the schedule was too gruelling are, IMO, laughable. There had to be more to it. For one thing, he signed on to play one of SF's most known and loveable heroes with the hopes that the show would be a big success -- so how did he not see the possibility of typecasting beforehand? Secondly, he's done TV before, so he should've had some idea of what the shooting schedule would be...not to mention that it's a 13 ep. season, not 20 or more like the US seasons, so even that doesn't give me any sympathy for him.

Nope, I think there was more to it. Perhaps he wasn't happy with where the writers were taking the character or some other such creative difference. Perhaps he wasn't happy with the reviews and decided to get out now. Either way, he and the producers most likely decided to give the SOP answers to why he was leaving so it wouldn't hurt the show any more than it had to.

Bottom line is, I think he probably only hurt himself with Who and SF fans...and didn't really damage his overall career.

As for RTD, I hope he's smart enough to sign Tennant to a contract that stipulates a given number of seasons should the show be renewed for them.

I also look at it all this way, this will be a collector's and fan's great footnote to the Dr. Who universe. I can hear the trivia questions thirty years from now, "Which actor played the first Doctor in Doctor Who to only play one season of a regeneration of the Doctor with another actor taking over the same regeneration afterwards?" Answer: Christopher Eccleston.

I still think they should've started the series with McGann. His Doctor has been shafted IMO. If the big screen film goes forward, I sincerely hope it's about his Doctor.

CE

The old excuses that he didn't want to be typecast and that the schedule was too gruelling are, IMO, laughable. There had to be more to it. For one thing, he signed on to play one of SF's most known and loveable heroes with the hopes that the show would be a big success -- so how did he not see the possibility of typecasting beforehand? Secondly, he's done TV before, so he should've had some idea of what the shooting schedule would be...not to mention that it's a 13 ep. season, not 20 or more like the US seasons, so even that doesn't give me any sympathy for him.
He may not have realised that moving Dr Who to Wales meant being away from home for 9 months a year. Worse, since I cannot remember mention of a Mrs Eccleston and Wales can be rather conservative, sending 9 months a days drive from the gay clubs of London and Brighton.

The old excuses that he didn't want to be typecast and that the schedule was too gruelling are, IMO, laughable. There had to be more to it.

Maybe he just watched the first episode? :)

It's not unprecendented to have a time lord change their face. Lalla Ward's Romana was either the same regeneration as Mary Tamm's, or if it was a new regeneration, she changed her appearance many times before settling on the female "Doctor" appearance played by Lalla Ward (Been to long since I seen those episodes to remember which way it went).

Regarding the 13 lives/generations, the master actually ran out before Anthony Ainley took over, so he's regenerated twice since his regerations were used up. And Peter Davision's Dr. had an episode that could be twisted to allow him to have gotten additional regenerations, and also Colin Baker's Trial of A Timelord, could also be used to explain away extra regerations, so we don't need to worry too much about having to stop the series because regerations run out, I wouldn't think.

There is always Son of the Doctor. What was the Time Guardian’s real purpose in giving the Doctor a Time Lady as a companion?

“Granddaughter” Susan could reappear and take over the TARDIS.

I always thought of Susan as an adopted granddaughter.

They could always go back to Paul McGann and tell the stories up to the point that he regenerated into Christopher Ecclestone. You can't have Billie Piper though.

Well, it seems not only is David Tennant (Playing Barty Crouch Jr in the fourth Harry Potter movie Goblet of Fire) rumored to be the top candidate, David Thewlis who played Lupin in the third Harry Potter film, is also rumored to be in the running.

David Thewlis who played Lupin in the third Harry Potter film, is also rumored to be in the running.

Wow, he would be good, he was excellent in Prisoner of Azkaban.. That would be an amazing bit of casting. I bet it never happens, though..

Latest posts

Members online

Back