• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Bravo's 100 Greatest TV characters

Re: Barvo\'s 100 Greatest TV characters

I also think that if the full name was given for number 91 it would be clearer to more people. Instead of "Caine" it would be better if it listed "Quai Chang Caine", IMHO.

And, I actually think that they made exactly the opposite mistake at number 62. "Francis Xavier Pembleton" was much more commonly referred to as "Frank Pembleton" or "Detective Frank Pembleton".

I'm SMG fan and like "Buffy" (the show), but i think Buffy is too high on that list.

Dr. Smith is 97. Interesting choice for the top 100.
Very interesting choice. Although I now everytime I think of Doctor Smith I think of that one seen from Family Guy where Peter says "I'm an even better dad than the dad on Lost in Space"

And the cut-away scene...

John Robinson: "This is a dangerous mission. Don, you and my sixteen year old blonde daughter go out on the charriot for a day. Penny, you stay here with me. Will, you and the robot got out into the uncharted wilderness and bring this mincing, boy hungry, pedophile with you."

:cool:

I think it's a real tribute to Star Trek that there are 3 characters from its almost 40-year history on the list...

Steve Urkel gets a higher rating than Xena? Bah. She has much better boobs, and her inventions worked.

I was a bit surprised to see Barney Fife get a much higher rating than Andy Taylor. I guess it pays to be a little goofy. :p

I was a bit surprised to see Barney Fife get a much higher rating than Andy Taylor. I guess it pays to be a little goofy. :p

Well, it may often be more difficult to play the straight man well (I have read that it was common practice among vaudeville comedy duos for the money to be split 60-40 in favor of the straight man), but by their nature they tend to be less "unique" than the off-the-wall punchline characters. Therefore it doesn't surprise that they would end up not being rated as highly in a list of "great characters".

On the blip that they showed for Barney's number Andy Griffith credited Don Knotts with the sucess of the entire show, most of the ideas were Don's. So how much that may have played into the voting I'm not sure. The show did revolve around Barneys' inepitude and when you think of Mayberry. Barney always comes to mind love or hate him.

Pillow Rock, I think Artie might be Artie of Laugh In, the dirty old man, but after high school, I watched little prime time network stuff, so I am not sure.

Some options I've uncovered.

One was Artemus Gordon of the Wild Wild West. I never knew he was referred to in that manner, but hey.

There was also a bizarre characted named "Artie" in the Nickelodeon show, "The Adventures of Pete and Pete," but that choice seems unlikely.

Much more likely, is Artie from "The Larry Sanders Show", as played by Rip Torn. That's right up Bravo's alley, and he is a hell of a character.

Re: Bravo\'s 100 Greatest TV characters

How Tamlyn Tomita's stellar performance as Laurel Takashima from Babylon 5: The Gathering was omitted is beyond me. No, Captain Jack either. Personally, I consider the "Telepath Song" to be a character in itself so I would move it one spot above Erkel.

Re: Bravo\'s 100 Greatest TV characters

How dare you omit Marshall Teague's riviting performance in Babylon 5....as the Ikarian War Machine in "Infection." Its the stuff of legend. Who can forget "IIIIIKKKKAAAAARRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

B5_O, I forgot about Artemus from WWWest, who was indeed called "Artie," all of the time, by James West. He was quite a character, but you're probably right about it being Artie from The Larry Sanders Show, which I never watched.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back