• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Big B5 update from jms!!!

(snip)...new b5 series
oh my god, oh my god, oh my god
(snip)...puhleeeeeease let it be true

When this came up before I thought JMS said it would not be a series deal. But something else.

Perhaps we shall be delightfully surprised in January, however. We can always hope. :cool:

There do seem to be a lot of miniseries these days in the sci-fi department. And there is always the eternal hope that the telepath war story can be told. Crusade, sadly, is probably not an option in any form.

But who knows? It's good to hear that whatever it is has gotten to the money stage. :D

Get a grip, people. Nobody said anything about a new B5 series. As hyp noted, JMS specifically denied that a series was being contemplated when he first mentioned "something in the B5 universe" being discussed. So no, that isn't what he's talking about.

You really think he would do that?

Why not? He has spoken and written about it pretty explictly in the past few years, even reproducing TNT's "notes" about the show, together with his responses. It isn't like this is all a secret or anything.

With the possibilty of something new in the works?

Why would this be an issue? The new thing isn't going to be Crusade and the deal for it is going to be made long before the Crusade DVDs go on sale. Unless the "new thing" were to somehow involve TNT, which is incredibly unlikely given JMS's history with them, I don't see what one has to do with the other.

Since TNT is owned by WB, wouldn't that be like cutting his own throat?

1) TNT is not owned by WB. TNT and WB are both owned by Time-Warner. If WB did own TNT they could have told the network how to Crusade was going to be produced, they would have backed JMS to the hilt and there would never have been these problems. Instead the two are separate subsidiaries of a giant conglomerate that generally does not become involved in intra-company disputes. (Unless two divisions are threatening to sue each other, at which point the parent company will slap them around so it doesn't end up paying for the lawyers on both sides.)

But why should any relationship between WB and TNT (aside from TNT owning WB, maybe) mean that JMS would be "cutting his own throat" if he criticized TNT? JMS isn't looking to place any projects on TNT, and WB can sell its wares elsehwhere. Why should either of them care what TNT thinks about anything they do?

I have some ideas of my own about what might be in the pipeline, but I'll honor JMS's request and keep them to myself.

One thing I will mention because it does not have a bearing on either of the projects that JMS has already mentioned: really extraordinary DVD sales could conceivably result in some sort of future Crusade project. (Maybe a TV movie or mini to wrap up the not-terribly-interesting plague story, for instance. Not enough to get me excited, but better than nothing, I suppose.) But nobody is even going to think about that until they've seen some hard sales numbers, probably next summer.

Regards,

Joe

>>There do seem to be a lot of miniseries these days in the sci-fi department. And there is always the eternal hope that the telepath war story can be told.<<

Yes! Yes! Yes! Telepath War miniseries! With _lots_ of G'Kar (and okay, Lyta too)!!!

How are we going to keep our heads from exploding until mid-late January??

Aisling

I'm not sure why you think G'Kar, of all people, would feature prominently in a Telepath War story. The war breaks out after he and Lyta return to known space and go their separate ways. G'Kar would probably be involved as a high-ranking advisor to the IA, but the IA itself isn't drawn into the war (which is primarily fought between Humans and in Human-controlled space) until very near the end.

Regards,

Joe

Boy, you sure are an old sour puss lately Joe. :p

Let a girl have some fun and fantasize about the lovely G'Kar. ;)

"I know the immediate result of this will be speculation, but if we could keep
that to a low roar on the nets to avoid precluding anything, that would be a
wonderfulness."

and what are you doing? just think how well the b5 dvds have sold. maybe it has changed a thing or two..

Me? I am not speculating at all. The only thing I have done was poke a bit of fun at JoeDM and let Aisling have some fun daydreaming about G'Kar. The girl has to have something to occupy her thoughts with between now and January. ;)

JMS's unfilmed scripts (and Fiona Avery's if she's willing and Warner Bros. pays her enough), for starters.

Definitely! :D

I'm sure that they shot some "making of" footage while the show was in production, and that most of the cast will be happy to sit down for interviews.

Oh, I hope so! (...INCLUDING Gary Cole, though my gut tells me he'd probably skip it. :( ) It'd be awfully nice to see them all again.

Hell, it would take JMS a good hour of disc time just to explain how TNT screwed up the series. :)

Ain't that the truth!!! Come to think of it, that alone may require an entire disc. :devil:

Great news! But if we can't speculate what is the point of even being here?? I wanna discuss the possibilities, dammit!!! :devil:

But if we can't speculate what is the point of even being here??

To keep us in anticipation and give us excitement that something else is on the way. Like everyone else I want to know more about it, but I'm just glad to know that we're going to get something else, whatever that may be.

I'm sure that they shot some "making of" footage while the show was in production, and that most of the cast will be happy to sit down for interviews.

Oh, I hope so! (...INCLUDING Gary Cole, though my gut tells me he'd probably skip it. :( ) It'd be awfully nice to see them all again.

I have to agree that it seems unlikely Gary Cole would want to be involved. I don't think that period holds very happy memories for him :(, and he's moved on to other things (movies, guest appearances and now West Wing)

Some of the others haven't done much since then, so may be more willing to be interviewed.

>>I'm not sure why you think G'Kar, of all people, would feature prominently in a Telepath War story.<<

I don't think that "think" is involved in this quite so much as "hope," Joe. Anyway, let's just say that I _hope_ that G'Kar is involved in a big way, whether it's through flashbacks of G'Kar and Lyta's travels, or in his capacity as advisor to the IA.

(A girl can dream, can't I? <g>)

Aisling

>>The only thing I have done was poke a bit of fun at JoeDM and let Aisling have some fun daydreaming about G'Kar. The girl has to have something to occupy her thoughts with between now and January.<<

Hear, hear! And thanks, Monica. Yes indeedy, I'll have to find some way to keep my hands -- er, mind -- busy.

Aisling

>>Great news! But if we can't speculate what is the point of even being here?? I wanna discuss the possibilities, dammit!!! <<

The message from JMS, asking that we refrain from speculation, was originally posted on the moderated newsgroup, where there is a strict prohibition against posting story ideas: since JMS participates in that newsgroup, any story ideas that show up there are rendered immediately unusable for any theoretical/potential series, because of the litigious possibilities raised thereby.

So, JMS was not telling the participants of _this_ forum not to engage in speculation. He was asking that of the moderated newsgroup folks. I can see how you might not get that from the way the message was posted here. Perhaps a little note above it, like "Originally posted in rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated, 11/30/03" could be added above it for clarification? Mods?

Anyway, speculate away!

Aisling

I think this is something else entirely -- not Rangers, not Crusade, not B5 II, and probably not the Telepath War, although that's more likely than the others.

What haven't we covered?

Since nobody has said it yet:
WB those frelling double-dipping bastards! ;)

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 00:11:47 +0000 (UTC)
Lines: 15

>What a weekend! Does all movies include B5LR by the way?

Not in the big set, no...that will be a separate DVD since it's really not a
part of what comprised the original B5 movies.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2003 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)

Well I for one am glad I don't have to pay for that POS

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back