• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT Actual DISCUSSION Thread

If the MP3 file is still there, why did you remove the link to it before you even heard back from them? I'd like to hear the MP3. This is the first I've heard of the existence of the Podcast of the NYCC panel (or whatever it's called), and it's gone?

He didn't, it was he got a reply which came very quickly. Because if you were to go back to the news thread you've found the reply that Shabaz got and read that it was pulled at JMS's request. I don't know for sure but my theory is that it was a mistake for them to have included the audio of the video blogs.

Jan

Last edited:
Here's JMS's response to Shabaz's (delayed) post about the 'podcast' being posted and then pulled:

Yeah, I had the piece pulled because a) I hadn't been told they were
going to be taping the appearance and putting it up there, and b)
there's stuff from the blogs that should not be out there because
they're still in progress. (The delay in posting the blogs has been
in waiting for the final CGI to be delivered in those cases where we
have before and after shots...which is nearly all of the blogs.)

Jan

As much as I'm interested in seeing the finished CG shots, I'm a little puzzled as to why they're needed for the blogs.

Using George Lucas' Star Wars webspots as a comparison, the earliest ones dealt with scripting, then concept art, then casting, propmaking, costuming and filming. Editing and finished CG came last, as these things are done in post and are typically in a state of flux right up to the moment of release. The Star Wars spots were released throughout the filming process, so they helped to keep the momentum and speculation at fever pitch (disregarding how the finished product actually turned out).

Now, granted that the TLT blogs are probably primarily being done to fill up the extras space on the disc, and so may not be directly comparable, and they're blogs rather than webspots, but at the moment aside from some photos that can't be reproduced and that spoilerific article on the CG, I'm pretty disappointed by the amount of stuff out there, to the point where I'm actually starting to wonder if the production has run into difficulties. Hopefully that will change pretty soon..

Here we go again...Doesn't it make sense that the main focus be on the segments, not on the extras?

First off, these aren't anything like the webspots you refered to. Far from it. When JMS says that he had a hard time taking himself seriously on camera, that was absolute truth. I'll give you a hint: sock puppets.

And what, exactly are you thinking should be out at this point -- more than four months (five at the time JMS showed these) out from the release? Comparing a direct-to DVD release to Star Wars is beyond apples and oranges, I think it's apples and bricks.

Jan

While I am eager for more B5, part of me is glad that there isn't too much out yet regarding TLT. I don't want the body of B5 fandom to be whipped up into such a feeding frenzy that by the time the fish comes around we swallow it without tasting it.

Oh, and my brick tastes funny.

While I am eager for more B5, part of me is glad that there isn't too much out yet regarding TLT. I don't want the body of B5 fandom to be whipped up into such a feeding frenzy that by the time the fish comes around we swallow it without tasting it.

I do.. I want the darn thing to sell out so we see more of them!!

I'm just nervous because the schedule seems so nebulous. I don't want to see the discs appear and disappear in a bargain bucket somewhere and as an obscure listing buried on Amazon.com, with only the hardcore fans to know about it. Four months doesn't seem early to me to start promoting it in earnest.

We've got another situation where B5 is breaking new ground. If there's been another 'Former TV show making new 'episodes' direct to DVD' before, I''ve never heard of it. IOW, I don't think there's a formula for what to advertise or when. I think that starting out with getting coverage in a trade publication such as the CG Society article was a good idea, though, given how early this is. It starts the buzz and targets people who'll want to see so ambitious a project even if they hadn't been familiar with B5 before.

I think the main thing we can do to help is to keep an eye out for opportunities to pre-order. JMS said that pre-sales may be important in getting a second one greenlit quickly.

Jan

Knowing this board's derived joy from B5 news alerts, hyp, we'll probably end up with fireworks and streamers come the day it goes on pre-sale. :D

Knowing this board's derived joy from B5 news alerts, hyp, we'll probably end up with fireworks and streamers come the day it goes on pre-sale. :D

No one throw things at me, but, do we have an estimated time frome for when that should happen? HP 7th book has been available for pre-order for over a month, and is being released in July. I realize a book with 12 million copies in it's first run needs all the printing time, but, I'm thinking it should be at least a couple months before release, right? Because they still need to burn all the DVD copies and package them.

Not that you burn commercial DVDs, but that's just a nitpick.

:D

Right now, Harry Potter is just about in a league all of its own in terms of public interest, so giving several months for pre-orders seems a pretty logical thing to do. As far as B5 is concerned, however, you have a direct-to-DVD project on the back of a TV show that went off-air getting on for 9 years ago.

Many of us "hardcore" fans will pre-order as soon as it becomes available whether that be 1 week, 2 months or a full year ahead of the release date, more casual B5/SF fans just won't do that, so we will likely see a ramping up of the promotional effort (and availability for pre-order) much nearer to the actual release date of the disc.

Here's JMS's response to Shabaz's (delayed) post about the 'podcast' being posted and then pulled:

Jan

Yeah, saw that on the group right before I came here. Would've been nice to hear the new theme music. What can I say, I'm B5 starved. <shrug>

Told you it was a nitpick.

:D

DVD-R/RW discs are said to be burned because the data is etched onto the disc by "burning" holes in a layer of dye within the disc. Commercial DVDs are said to be pressed because the data is etched onto the disc by physically pressing pits into a layer of the disc itself.

Same with CDs.

That is why CD-R/RW and DVD-R/RW are not considered permanent media (as the dye can degrade over time) whereas commercially pressed discs are considered permanent.

I just had visions of some guy at WB hunched over a PC burning thousands of copies of TLT ready for release. That really would require a small amount of additional lead-in time.

That said, the media itself could degrade over time, even with commercially pressed disks, so permenant is prehaps the wrong phrase.

CD's and DVD's are not permenant in the archival sense (although, technically, not much is...). Original commercial CD's are now slowly dying, although the chemical compound has been since revised inside. I've heard 30 years being stated as a life-cycle for CD based media.

Eh, that's OK if they've only got a lifetime of 30 years. I'm not counting on living another 30 years anyways, and if I do, I'm not counting on equipment being available to play a CD or a DVD on.

Has anyone seen adverts for the Direct to DVD movie called "The Dukes of Hazzard - The Beginning"?
This is Warner Brothers first direct to DVD issue, B5:TLT is likely to be released in a similar way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back