• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

AFI's 100 movie quotes

Re: AFI\'s 100 movie quotes

Jade: You're right. And The Jazz Singer wasn't the first talking picture, either, it was just the first one that made everyone sit up and take notice.
The AFI web site doesn't say that The Jazz Singer was the first talking picture. It says that it was the first full length talking picture.

So what is the running time threshhold for that designation, anyway?

Haven't had a chance to read the whole list, but I hear there's nothing from The Princess Bride . So how can it possibly count?

Or Young Frankenstein..

or The Mechanic. When Bronson's character is asked why they call him a "mechanic" (meaning a hit man), he says "Because when I fix something, it never works again."

Yeah G'Kar's eye, nothing like a movie that has a fat Freddy Mercury look alike in a chainmail tanktop playing the villain to bring on the homoeroticism.

The AFI web site doesn't say that The Jazz Singer was the first talking picture

I hadn't looked at their site, and I wasn't implying that AFI had said as much. But just about every article on the coming of sound does call it the first talkie.

It says that it was the first full length talking picture.

And with all due respect to AFI, that isn't quite true, either, given that The Jazz Singer was basically a silent film with a couple of sound sequences. I don't know what the AFI considers "full length". At a guess I'd say anything over 75 minutes or so would qualify, while something in the 10 minute to 40 minute range would definitely qualify as a "short". Where the line falls between those ranges, I don't know.

Still haven't had time to sit down and just read the blasted list. Were there any lines from Mel Brooks films? ("Nooo, Mongo straight")

Regards,

Joe

Still haven't had time to sit down and just read the blasted list. Were there any lines from Mel Brooks films? ("Nooo, Mongo straight")

43 BART
"Excuse me while I whip this out."
BLAZING SADDLES
Warner Bros., 1974
ACTOR Cleavon Little
SCREENWRITERS Mel Brooks, Norman Steinberg, Andrew Bergman, Richard Pryor, Alan Uger
DIRECTOR Mel Brooks
PRODUCER Michael Hertzberg

173 LOUIS XVI
"It's good to be the king!"
HISTORY OF THE WORLD: PART I
Twentieth Century Fox, 1981
ACTOR Mel Brooks
SCREENWRITER Mel Brooks
DIRECTOR Mel Brooks
PRODUCER Mel Brooks

283 FRANZ LIEBKIND
"Not many people know it, but the Führer was a terrific dancer."
THE PRODUCERS
AVCO Embassy, 1968
ACTOR Kenneth Mars
SCREENWRITER Mel Brooks
DIRECTOR Mel Brooks
PRODUCER Sidney Glazier

315 MARCEL MARCEAU
"Non!"
SILENT MOVIE
Twentieth Century-Fox, 1976
ACTOR Marcel Marceau
SCREENWRITERS Mel Brooks, Ron Clark, Rudy DeLuca, Barry Levinson
DIRECTOR Mel Brooks
PRODUCER Michael Hertzberg

Oops, there was one from Young Frankenstein, but it didn't make the 100, and IMHO, there were far better in the that film.

400 IGOR
"What hump?"
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
Twentieth Century Fox, 1974
ACTOR Marty Feldman
SCREENWRITERS Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder
DIRECTOR Mel Brooks
PRODUCER Michael Gruskoff
ACTOR Kenneth Mars
SCREENWRITER Mel Brooks
DIRECTOR Mel Brooks
PRODUCER Sidney Glazier

Actually, I remember seeing or reading that they made two different versions of "The Jazz Singer" one where the talking parts were done silently, with titles, and another where they actually spoke. They decided to submit the one that went into sound only when Jolson sang.

I don't care how people are defining things in terms of what a full-length sound film is. Why not just say "The Jazz Singer" is the sound movie that made the world sit up and realize that sound films really could make mountains of money.

I remember reading how Charlie Chaplin thought sound films would never be more than a fluke, for one simple and practical reason: you'd lose your world market.

Good sound films don't have many titles. And translating those into Russian or French or German was relatively easy. Chaplin was convinced for some time that to keep the world market you simply had to go with silent features.

Dubbing hadn't occured to him yet.

And with all due respect to AFI, that isn't quite true, either, given that The Jazz Singer was basically a silent film with a couple of sound sequences. I don't know what the AFI considers "full length". At a guess I'd say anything over 75 minutes or so would qualify, while something in the 10 minute to 40 minute range would definitely qualify as a "short". Where the line falls between those ranges, I don't know.

I agree that 40 minutes would definitely qualify as a short, but in the 30s, and even later, 55 - 65 minutes wasn't uncommon for a so-called feature length film. It was usually a matter of the number of reels. Reels were 8 minutes long, so, most cartoons were 8 minutes at the longest. A few were two-reelers, and theater shorts were usually two-reelers, with a few three-reelers, under 24 minutes. 7 - 8 reels, say under 56m to under 64m, was generally considered a feature, at least in the last days of silents, and the talkies. Very few films were made in the 4 - 6 reel range, but one of my two favorite Laurel and Hardy films, Beau Hunks, 1931, at 37m is a 5-reeler, and considered a short. But, another L&H favorite, 1940's A Chump At Oxford, an 8-reeler at 63m long, is considered a feature.

Joe's right, The Jazz Singer 1927, had only a bit of poorly synchronized sound, talking and singing, from a record, which was the way most early talkies provided sound. WB's "Vitaphone" was their trademarked method of synching the record to the film. I forget which film was the first true feature length talkie. In 1926, WB released Don Juan with a fully synchronized music track, but no speech.

Perhaps the biggest common fallacy is that Disney's Steamboat Willie 1928, was the first talking cartoon. At least ten years before that, maybe 15, the Fleischer Bros., of Koko the Clown, Betty Boop, and Popeye, made a couple of cartoons using Lee DeForest's 'sound on film' method, which is what we use today. These were probably the first talking films of any kind, except what DeForest did in the way of experiments in his lab, and possibly a demo by an Edison employee.

Ok film buffs, help me out- I remember once seeing a movie that was about that era and there was a scene where an audience is being shown a film of a guy talking, and it was the first time anyone had ever seen/heard that. The guy was just explaining how the technology worked, saying things like "The voice you hear is a tape, pre-recorded" etc, and the dude was in a tux I think and skinny and kinda freaky looking. The audience's reaction was confusion and disgust.

I saw it a long time ago and don't remember it but the Club Silencio scene in Mullholland Drive forced that memory out of my brain but I can't remember where it's from...

43 BART
"Excuse me while I whip this out."
BLAZING SADDLES

173 LOUIS XVI
"It's good to be the king!"
HISTORY OF THE WORLD: PART I

283 FRANZ LIEBKIND
"Not many people know it, but the Führer was a terrific dancer."
THE PRODUCERS

315 MARCEL MARCEAU
"Non!"
SILENT MOVIE

400 IGOR
"What hump?"
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
That looks like it is from the list of 400 "nominees" that were on the ballot they sent to whoever they solicited to vote, which was sorted alphabetically by movie title. Off the top of my head, I don't think any of those made the final top 100 ranking. Although, I do seem to remember Brosnan saying "It's goo to be the king." in one of his interludes during the special. Most of the time, him using a line meant that it was in the list somewhere.

Princess Bride also had one nominee: "Hello. My name is ....."

Ok film buffs, help me out- I remember once seeing a movie that was about that era and there was a scene where an audience is being shown a film of a guy talking, and it was the first time anyone had ever seen/heard that. The guy was just explaining how the technology worked, saying things like "The voice you hear is a tape, pre-recorded" etc, and the dude was in a tux I think and skinny and kinda freaky looking. The audience's reaction was confusion and disgust.

I saw it a long time ago and don't remember it but the Club Silencio scene in Mullholland Drive forced that memory out of my brain but I can't remember where it's from...

That almost has to be from one of America's most famous musicals: Singing In the Rain. I think. :confused:

An old guy is talking and that's all that's filmed. They all laugh it off until someone comes rushing in announcing that the "Jazz Singer" is taking the town by storm.

One of my favorite "minor moments" from "Singing in the Rain":

People are commenting on what they thought of talking films. Different people say different things. One tall, think, svelt woman (dressed... stylishly, might even have had a cigarette holder) says simply "it's vulgar".

:)

Oh, and I think it would have had to be a record, not a tape, that the voice was recorded on.

GKE wrote:

I'm no film buff, but isn't that in Singin' in the Rain? Hence the plot of what to do with the gorgeous but awful-sounding leading lady.

Yeah that may be it. That's a movie I watched a long time ago and hence don't remember the details. Thanks.

Have you folks ever seen Mullholland Drive? The scene I was referring to makes an excellent thematic counterpoint to this (though it was probably not on purpose)

I was gonna say Singing in the Rain, but, I thought surely GKE would remember Gene Kelly.

Hey alright, I said before I'm not good with musicals.

Did I miss it, or is there nothing from Spinal Tap in this list?

Yeah that may be it. That's a movie I watched a long time ago and hence don't remember the details. Thanks.

Have you folks ever seen Mullholland Drive? The scene I was referring to makes an excellent thematic counterpoint to this (though it was probably not on purpose)

No. But I have reason to rent a lot of DVD's this summer, so I may check it out. :)

Always appreciate recommendations for movies.

Mullholland Drive is awesome. I've seen it like 10 times and I'm still obsessed with it. And no, not because of the lesbian stuff. That's just an added bonus. :)

Reels were 8 minutes long, so, most cartoons were 8 minutes at the longest.

Of course, even that varied in the silent era: hand-cranked cameras and variable speed projectors (some films came with what almost amounted to musical notation telling the projectionist when to speed up and slow down) the length of film on a reel always represent the same amount of time. It wasn't until sync sound came in fully and standardized both shooting and projection speed at 24 frames a second that reels settled down to predictable amounts of time - typically ten minutes, which remains the limit for a single uninterrupted take in movies. (One reason why silent films used to look so jerky and goofy when shown from 16mm prints in schools or on televison is that they were often shot at 18 frames per second and showing them on sound-equipped projectors locked to a rate of 24 fps meant they were running about 33 percent faster than they should have been.)

So it is very hard to figure out what would be considered a "full length" film right on the cusp of the sound revolution.

BTW, syncing a film to a record may seem crude, but in many theaters the Dolby Digital, DTS or Sony SDDS digital soundtrack is coming off a glorified CD, rather than from a magnetic strip or optical data encoded on the film itself as in strictly analog theaters. (Although the analog optical soundtrack is included on most release prints so that they can be used in any theater, and so that the film can continue if there is a problem with the digital sound system.)

When I toured Digital Theater Systems back in 2000 I actually got to hold the sound discs that went with a release print of Apollo 13. They shipped in a plastic container that looked exactly like the cans that film reels sent to theaters in, except that it was bright yellow. :)

"Never go up against a Scicilian when death is on the line."

:)

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back