• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

AFI's 100 movie quotes

Re: AFI\'s 100 movie quotes

Which Dirty Harry had him fighting other cops? The one that had both the "stupid chief" hating Dirty Harry and the "it's the best system we've got" angle.

In a similar vein to Dirty Harry this site has some ammusing reviews of 80's action flicks and their clieche's(homoeroticisim, refighting Vietnam, death puns).

Crossfire Trail

Actually I've been impressed by all of the TV movie westerns (nearly all based on novels by the likes of Louis L'Amour and other masters of the genre) that Tom Selleck did. (Mostly for TNT if memory serves.) He's a natural and the production values and casting were generally a cut above your average MoW. I have Selleck and "movies" in my TiVo wishlist and have been working my way through the films as they turn up in the TNT/TBS rotation. (Just watched Crossfire Trail lastt weekened, in fact.) I also have wishlists for Clint Eastwood and John Wayne. (It is amazing how many of their films I've seen pieces of over the years, but never watched straight through - which is always easier to do when you can zap the commericals. I finally watched all of The Quiet Man about a month ago - which I'd never done before, despite its being on in the background every St. Paddy's day and (I think, Thanksgiving) at my Irish-American brother-in-law's house. (That's OK. On Father's Day I tuned in the Godfather marathon that Spike or somebody was running and left it on all day. :D)

The funny thing is there are always Clint and Duke movies coming up over any two week period, which is not the case for any of my other actor wishlists. But I'm getting to the point where I've seen most of them too recently to want to record and watch them again.

BTW, where's the love for Where Eagles Dare? Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. The testosterone must have been failry dripping off the walls of the set. :D

I love TiVo. :D

Regards,

Joe

Which Dirty Harry had him fighting other cops? The one that had both the "stupid chief" hating Dirty Harry and the "it's the best system we've got" angle.

Magnum Force: "I'm afraid you've misjudged me."

Crossfire Trail

Actually I've been impressed by all of the TV movie westerns (nearly all based on novels by the likes of Louis L'Amour and other masters of the genre) that Tom Selleck did. (Mostly for TNT if memory serves.) He's a natural and the production values and casting were generally a cut above your average MoW. I have Selleck and "movies" in my TiVo wishlist and have been working my way through the films as they turn up in the TNT/TBS rotation. (Just watched Crossfire Trail lastt weekened, in fact.)

I'd recorded and watched Crossfire Trail when it was first aired on TNT, bought it on DVD a couple of days ago, and watched the DVD last night. It is that good. I can't stand TNT, but for Selleck, I'll make an exception.

Being a kid from Oklahoma, I grew up on westerns, but as an adult, I have no particular love for them as a genre, but there are lots of fine films which are westerns. Probably my favorite is The Little Big Man, starring Dustin Hoffman and Chief Dan George, based on a very enjoyable book by Thomas Barger. It is lots of fun.

As a lover of film noir, I like film noir westerns. Two of my favorites star Robert Mitchum, and are rather underrated, IMO. They are Blood On The Moon, and Pursued.

I'm not a John Wayne fan, and think Stage Coach is highly over rated, but I must admit that Red River, The Searchers, and Rio Bravo are fine films, much better than his jingoistic histrionics which came later, in films like True Grit.

The Oxbow Incident is another excellent western. Marlon Brando's One Eyed Jacks, which he directed is a favorite of mine.

Stagecoach is one of those films, like Citizen Kane in a slightly different way, that may be more important than it is "great". It is a film that broke the then-mold of westerns and was enormously influential on many films that followed it - many of which were much better than the film that insipired them. It is very hard to even imaginatively try to see a film like Stagecoach through the eyes of its first audience. We're something like the person who sees her first Shakespeare play at the age of 50 and complains, "it was just a bunch of cliches." Stagecoach lifted Westerns out of the genre ghetto and into the world of "real" grown-up movies. It opened the door to much that came afterwards.

That said, I still think that John Ford's "Cavalry Trilogy" (and some of the other films based on the terrific short stories of James Warner Bellah, a journalist and sometime soldier who was born around 1900 and knew men who had fought on both sides of the frontier wars) represent some of Wayne's best work. It is really hard to top Fort Apache and She Wroe a Yellow Ribbon. for a certain kind of non-cowboy western.

Regards,

Joe

Stagecoach is one of those films, like Citizen Kane in a slightly different way, that may be more important than it is "great". It is a film that broke the then-mold of westerns and was enormously influential on many films that followed it - many of which were much better than the film that insipired them. It is very hard to even imaginatively try to see a film like Stagecoach through the eyes of its first audience. We're something like the person who sees her first Shakespeare play at the age of 50 and complains, "it was just a bunch of cliches." Stagecoach lifted Westerns out of the genre ghetto and into the world of "real" grown-up movies. It opened the door to much that came afterwards.

This is only true because audiences weren't paying attention in 1930, when Raul Walsh's The Big Trail, starring John Wayne, was released. It had all of the qualities so prized in Stagecoach, AND it was the first wide screen film. A much better, and more ahead of its time film than Stagecoach, IMO. Probably too ahead of its time, or we would have turned it into the icon that Stagecoach is.

I think Fort Apache would have been a far better film if John Wayne and Henry Fonda had switched roles, Wayne making a better prig, and Fonda making a better good guy.

I remembered another of my all-time favorite movie quotes that didn't make the list. It will be inexact, since it is from memory. It is in Key Largo, starring Humphrey Bogart as an ex-serviceman, and Edward G. Robinson as gangster Johnny Rocco. Bogart visits a rundown hotel in the keys, and finds it taken over by Rocco, who is being smuggled back in to the country. The first time we see Rocco, he is in the bath tub, reading the paper, and smoking a cigar. At one point, Bogart says to Rocco "I know what Rocco wants... He wants more!" and Rocco replies "Yeah, that's what I want, I want MORE!" meaning more of everything.

Key Largo was a very good movie. One of those where I'd say every part was quite well played.

I like movies where even the bit-parts seem just right.

You're right about that. Four strong leads, and lots of good supporting actors, like Claire Trevor, who made a career of playing dolls and floozies, as Rocco's girl friend. Dan Seymour, sort of a poor man's Sydney Greenstreet, and Thomas Gomez, as two of Rocco's goons, both fine character actors.

The list is finally out. Here's the full list of the top 100 but I'll list them here too to make it somewhat easier. None of us guessed the number one quote correctly. Here goes:

1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse," "The Godfather," 1972.

3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am," "On the Waterfront," 1954.

4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

5. "Here's looking at you, kid," "Casablanca," 1942.

6. "Go ahead, make my day," "Sudden Impact," 1983.

7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up," "Sunset Blvd.," 1950.

8. "May the Force be with you," "Star Wars," 1977.

9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night," "All About Eve," 1950.

10. "You talking to me?" "Taxi Driver," 1976.

11. "What we've got here is failure to communicate," "Cool Hand Luke," 1967.

12. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning," "Apocalypse Now," 1979.

13. "Love means never having to say you're sorry," "Love Story," 1970.

14. "The stuff that dreams are made of," "The Maltese Falcon," 1941.

15. "E.T. phone home," "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," 1982.

16. "They call me Mister Tibbs!", "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

17. "Rosebud," "Citizen Kane," 1941.

18. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!", "White Heat," 1949.

19. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!", "Network," 1976.

20. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," "Casablanca," 1942.

21. "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti," "The Silence of the Lambs," 1991.

22. "Bond. James Bond," "Dr. No," 1962.

23. "There's no place like home," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

24. "I am big! It's the pictures that got small," "Sunset Blvd.," 1950.

25. "Show me the money!", "Jerry Maguire," 1996.

26. "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?", "She Done Him Wrong," 1933.

27. "I'm walking here! I'm walking here!", "Midnight Cowboy," 1969.

28. "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By,"' "Casablanca," 1942.

29. "You can't handle the truth!", "A Few Good Men," 1992.

30. "I want to be alone," "Grand Hotel," 1932.

31. "After all, tomorrow is another day!", "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

32. "Round up the usual suspects," "Casablanca," 1942.

33. "I'll have what she's having," "When Harry Met Sally...," 1989.

34. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow," "To Have and Have Not," 1944.

35. "You're gonna need a bigger boat," "Jaws," 1975.

36. "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," 1948.

37. "I'll be back," "The Terminator," 1984.

38. "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth," "The Pride of the Yankees," 1942.

39. "If you build it, he will come," "Field of Dreams," 1989.

40. "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get," "Forrest Gump," 1994.

41. "We rob banks," "Bonnie and Clyde," 1967.

42. "Plastics," "The Graduate," 1967.

43. "We'll always have Paris," "Casablanca," 1942.

44. "I see dead people," "The Sixth Sense," 1999.

45. "Stella! Hey, Stella!", "A Streetcar Named Desire," 1951.

46. "Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars," "Now, Voyager," 1942.

47. "Shane. Shane. Come back!", "Shane," 1953.

48. "Well, nobody's perfect," "Some Like It Hot," 1959.

49. "It's alive! It's alive!", "Frankenstein," 1931.

50. "Houston, we have a problem," "Apollo 13," 1995.

51. "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?", "Dirty Harry," 1971.

52. "You had me at 'hello,"' "Jerry Maguire," 1996.

53. "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know," "Animal Crackers," 1930.

54. "There's no crying in baseball!", "A League of Their Own," 1992.

55. "La-dee-da, la-dee-da," "Annie Hall," 1977.

56. "A boy's best friend is his mother," "Psycho," 1960.

57. "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good," "Wall Street," 1987.

58. "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer," "The Godfather Part II," 1974.

59. "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again," "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

60. "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!", "Sons of the Desert," 1933.

61. "Say 'hello' to my little friend!", "Scarface," 1983.

62. "What a dump," "Beyond the Forest," 1949.

63. "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?", "The Graduate," 1967.

64. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!", "Dr. Strangelove," 1964.

65. "Elementary, my dear Watson," "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," 1929.

66. "Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape," "Planet of the Apes," 1968.

67. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine," "Casablanca," 1942.

68. "Here's Johnny!", "The Shining," 1980.

69. "They're here!", "Poltergeist," 1982.

70. "Is it safe?", "Marathon Man," 1976.

71. "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!", "The Jazz Singer," 1927.

72. "No wire hangers, ever!", "Mommie Dearest," 1981.

73. "Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?", "Little Caesar," 1930.

74. "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown," "Chinatown," 1974.

75. "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers," "A Streetcar Named Desire," 1951.

76. "Hasta la vista, baby," "Terminator 2: Judgment Day," 1991.

77. "Soylent Green is people!", "Soylent Green," 1973.

78. "Open the pod bay doors, HAL," "2001: A Space Odyssey," 1968.

79. Striker: "Surely you can't be serious." Rumack: "I am serious ... and don't call me Shirley," "Airplane!", 1980.

80. "Yo, Adrian!", "Rocky," 1976.

81. "Hello, gorgeous," "Funny Girl," 1968.

82. "Toga! Toga!", "National Lampoon's Animal House," 1978.

83. "Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make," "Dracula," 1931.

84. "Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast," "King Kong," 1933.

85. "My precious," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," 2002.

86. "Attica! Attica!", "Dog Day Afternoon," 1975.

87. "Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!", "42nd Street," 1933.

88. "Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!", "On Golden Pond," 1981.

89. "Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper," "Knute Rockne, All American," 1940.

90. "A martini. Shaken, not stirred," "Goldfinger," 1964.

91. "Who's on first," "The Naughty Nineties," 1945.

92. "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac ... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!", "Caddyshack," 1980.

93. "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!", "Auntie Mame," 1958.

94. "I feel the need -- the need for speed!", "Top Gun," 1986.

95. "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary," "Dead Poets Society," 1989.

96. "Snap out of it!", "Moonstruck," 1987.

97. "My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," 1942.

98. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," "Dirty Dancing," 1987.

99. "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!", "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

100. "I'm king of the world!", "Titanic," 1997.

My favorite quote from the 100 Quotes special (at least from the parts that I saw before the basketball game and during the time-outs):

(from memory, probaly somewhat paraphrased)

Buck Henry: "Love means never having to say you're sorry" grabbed hold of America's imagination in a way that was truly appalling.

Thanks, Sinclair. So did Wizard of Oz get the most quotes for one single movie? :)

Oh, and I love that this one made it on the list, it's from one of my favorite movies:
"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!", "Auntie Mame," 1958

Well, I actually recognized most of those, one way or another, so I didn't see any that really shouldn't have been on it. No surprise to me about what was number one; I was glad five Casablanca quotes made it on the list, and very pleased that Groucho Marx slipped one in as well.

Ah, so Casablanca won with the most quotes in the end. That is quite a lot for one movie.

One question about the Laurel & Hardy line:

Does anybody have any idea why / when / how that started getting quoted as "another fine mess" instead of "another nice mess" as it actually appeared in that movie. It seems like I have heard the line with "fine" a lot more than I have heard it with "nice".

Does anybody have any idea why / when / how that started getting quoted as "another fine mess" instead of "another nice mess" as it actually appeared in that movie. It seems like I have heard the line with "fine" a lot more than I have heard it with "nice".

About 10 seconds later when the old crone asked "What did he say?".

All that and not a single line from The Big Lebowski? :D

John Goodman: "This isn't 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."

;)

Jade: You're right. And The Jazz Singer wasn't the first talking picture, either, it was just the first one that made everyone sit up and take notice. Sometimes it is the one that has the most impact, for good and ill, that really counts, not the one that was first or best or anything else.

BTW, I'm surprised nobody in this group brought up a truly classic line from this Hollywood gem of the t*ts and sandals epic era, Sodom and Gomorrah:

"Watch out for the Sodomite patrols."

:D

Haven't had a chance to read the whole list, but I hear there's nothing from The Princess Bride . So how can it possibly count?

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back