• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Latest From JMS

Re: They guessed the acronym.

Well, I knew Lyta dies in the TW, which was one of my arguments against it as a feature film...bit of a downer ending for a feature, unless you've already planned a sequel.

I don't agree. It's only a downer if Lyta is your nominal hero, your protagonist. By this point in her...er...evolution, I don't think she's going to be the hero of this story.

Aisling

There are four things I hope he reveals when he finally steps down from the Mountiantop of the Great Maker and speaks again:

<snip>

4) Who is scripted to be a part of it as far as cast?

'Course, I'm only interested in the answer to question four, and whether or not said answer contains the words "Andreas Katsulas." ;)

Aisling

I'm glad that the mood on this thread has lightened up!
Colonyearth, just for the record, back in the middle of the previous page of posts, I agreed with you, that I am not convinced that the new project will be about the Teep War, that the Drakh War is a reasonable possibility, and that there are many more possibilities, including things from the books. I was trying to take your side, but you seem not to have noticed. By the way, although I am not a film maker, I have worked on the US's oldest festival of independent and experimental film for 16 years now, and have attended it for 37. I have seen well over 10,000 such films, know a number of film makers, and have love and respect for independent film.

Back to the speculation - I fail to see why almost everyone is convinced that it will be either a film or TV project, given JMS's "not too far wrong" comment. Of course, that's the kind of thing that I, too, would rather see. But as strange as it may seem, I think that the possibilities of either a play, or a radio show must be considered. But I guess that they aren't as much fun to speculate about. :D

I toss off that term like it's candy

I hope the candy appreciates your affections

Er... Um...

The euphemism "to toss off" isn't widely known by Americans in the same way it is known by British folk. I don't know if Canadians use it as you're implying, either.

Anyway, _I_ got it, but I don't know how many others did! ;)

Aisling

Ooooh, well... um. I'm not British. :)

We've done guerilla street theater; Shakespeare-in-the-park; basically, anything creative that we can think up that doesn't cost money.

Re: Lennier and Lyta.

The early drafts of "The Path of Sorrows" did indeed have Lyta as the main guest character, that teep prisoner on Mars who is helped by Matheson. At the end of Matheson's flashback, when Lyta is arming the bomb that will destroy the complex, a Minbari (whom we only see from behind) is holding off the guards with a fighting pike. Lyta calls out, "Lennier!" Then we cut to Matheson and his escape. We see the base explode below him as his shuttle pulls away but we never actually see Lyta and Lennier die in the blast. This is a classic JMS tease, he shows us a situation and - perhaps - its outcome, but not the context. Even as originally written JMS did not have to have the pair die during this incident, even if he still planned to have them die during the Telepath War.

When they couldn't get Pat Tallman for the episode and had to change the character to another teep, they also cut the reference to Lennier. Not because JMS had changed his mind about Lennier's fate, but because it no longer made sense for Lennier to be there if Lyta wasn't. For whatever reason, his connection was with her, not with the Teep rebellion generally.

If this was indeed supposed to be where the two of them died, then JMS is now free to create other circumstances. But it is pretty clear that neither of them is around after the war. When the Rangers pilot was in production and word got out that one character from B5, a "fan favorite", would appear in the film, many people assumed it would be Lennier. JMS said on line that it wouldn't be, and that the movie would take place after the war. Asked point blank if Lyta died in the war, JMS said "Yes." Asked about Lennier he said, "Right around there, yeah." Which is interesting in itself, but still suggests that Lennier dies as a result of his participation in the Teep War, even it happens earlier in the war than the original plan, or after the fighting has stopped. G'Kar, of course, was the "fan favorite", and he refers to Lyta's death obliquely: Asked if he really travelled around the galaxy for two years he confirms the story and mentions his companion, then sadly adds, "She's gone now."

We know that the IA intervened (decisively) late in the Teep War because on his death bed Bester still blames Sheridan for his defeat, this is spelled out clearly in the Telepath Trilogy. (Which also reinforces what we know about Lyta.)

I haven't read the Centauri trilogy since it was originally published, but perhaps KoshN can remind us of any hints about Lennier's fate that those books might contain.

When asked about not mentioning her among the dead in "Sleeping in Light," jms said if Zack has been there, "maybe he would've named Lyta (or maybe not, given what happens with her later)."

Anybody ever wonder where Zack got that limp? ;)

Regards,

Joe

I'm glad that the mood on this thread has lightened up!

As am I, it is a relief that both here and in the "second B5 film" thread everyone is much more relaxed and open. I guess sometimes you have to go to the brink to realize you've gone to the brink. :)

Colonyearth, just for the record, back in the middle of the previous page of posts, I agreed with you, that I am not convinced that the new project will be about the Teep War, that the Drakh War is a reasonable possibility, and that there are many more possibilities, including things from the books. I was trying to take your side, but you seem not to have noticed.

Actually I did notice at the time, but in my many angry moments I neglected to thank you for your support...please accept my humble apology...and my sincere gratitude....what you did was and is most appreciated..., and I won't forget that. :D

By the way, although I am not a film maker, I have worked on the US's oldest festival of independent and experimental film for 16 years now, and have attended it for 37. I have seen well over 10,000 such films, know a number of film makers, and have love and respect for independent film.

:D :D :D You're making me smile -- can ya tell? Which festival? Tell me...maybe I'll submit to it once the new film is finished! By the way, if anyone knows a great music composer out there with a good range of style that will work on deferrment and help create a wonderful score that mirrors the mood and emotion of my lastest film...please have them email me!!!!! aflessas@sppictures.com
And thanks again. :D

Back to the speculation - I fail to see why almost everyone is convinced that it will be either a film or TV project, given JMS's "not too far wrong" comment. Of course, that's the kind of thing that I, too, would rather see. But as strange as it may seem, I think that the possibilities of either a play, or a radio show must be considered. But I guess that they aren't as much fun to speculate about. :D

I don't see a play, and a radio play is always a possibility, but given the enormous DVD sales that literally stunned WB, I don't think they'll miss out on their moment to make the most money. Remember, SF/F is on a resurgence...with Star Wars still popular (though I don't know why as bad as the films have been), the incredible, record setting box office from the LOTR trilogy, the return of BG, the success of Stargate SG-1 and its coming move to the big screen and its spin-off series Stargate: Atlantis, the impendig return of Dr. Who, and Trek's apparent vulnerability, coupled with great mini-series showings in the genre...well, I kinda lost my own thread there, but you get the point...WB will jump while the jumpin's good. There may not be a better time to move and move big with B5. "Not too far off" could mean a number of things, such as not a TV movie (which I personally believe they've already done and done to death in the B5 universe, I don't think that will be it), but perhaps mini-series. Not a feature film, but a pre-planned trilogy, a la LOTR. Think about that possibility! Even if WB agreed to spend $50 million each film...shooting them simultaneously, that's $150 million...half the cost of LOTR (from which WB -- New Line Cinema's parent company -- made a poo-poo load of the green and still are! Hell they could fund a B5 trilogy with those profits alone and not see the drain). And still tons more money than JMS is usued to working with...consider what he could do with that much funding. Even if every person who purchased a DVD boxed set went one time to see each film...they would make their money back. Of course, we know people will go more than once, and people who haven't bought the DVD's will go and new people will come. Add to this the DVD sales around the world for the trilogy and it's a no-brainer. B5 would make a profit...and that's all they care about really. Remember, with $75 million alone, Star Trek: First Contact (a terrible and terribly flawed film) made quite the profit. The current DVD sales is what they're basing this whole thing on...they've been through the roof. Do the math...a trilogy would sell and big. We know JMS would deliver.

I'm not saying that's what it will be...but DAMN! Wouldn't that be sweet?! :D

That's the general thought I think he meant when he said "not too far off." Guess we'll find out soon...hopefully this Friday, since JMS said he could maybe say more in a couple of weeks :)

Thanks Joe for responding with your reasoning. It makes sense, and could well be where he goes or at the least what he starts with. The door is open there, he can change the situation to fit his needs, especially now that he has a big chance to depict everything fully and completely -- that is of course assuming the project is a feature or TV film or mini-series (read my previous post on my thoughts there).

Anywho...that's all I wanted was your reasoning. It's good to finally understand it. Much gratitude! :D

Gimli: "Toss me."
Aragorn: "Get in line."

(I suddenly have the feeling that this thread is teetering on the brink of NC-17... why does this always happen?)

Hmmmm...someone could always "toss" it back to the subject...please, before I start responding with improper ramblings... :D

::Said conspiratorially:: My mind goes strange places sometimes...and when it's gone...I can see the answers.

ARRRGGGGGGHHH, stop it....!

:LOL:

Don't worry...all things being equal, we should have another announcement soon to drag us kicking and screaming back onto topic.

:)

VB.

Oh, most definately...because we all know how evil JMS is, and that he'll tell us what this new project is without actually revealing anything. Hateful, just downright hateful :devil:
:D

Maybe this thread should be locked? I mean, its not dealing with B5 anymore, it's offtopic mainly? Moderator! Check!

Well at this point I think we've all pretty much run the gambit of possible scenarios on whatever the new project is or what TMoS stands for...and when you reach this point people tend to get a bit strange and odd with thoughts and flights of fancy. Sorry, if we're all a bit giddy and silly and off topic...but we've been bantering about this for some time now....and we're waiting on pins and needles for JMS to speak again on what the hell this thing is with loopy minds all aglow with visions of B5's future dancing in our heads.

:LOL: :D :LOL: :D :confused: :D :LOL:

CE

Well at this point I think we've all pretty much run the gambit of possible scenarios...

Except, of course, for those of us who have correctly run the gamut of possible scenarios instead. ;)

(A gambit is the opening move of a chess game - by extension a provocative opening comment intended to start a conversation or one's starting position in negotiation. A gamut gets it name from the first note of a musical scale and to "run the gamut" means to cover all possible notes in a sequence or range. :D)

Regards,

Joe

You just have to know everything don't you Joe :p :D

Is it safe to come back in the car now?

A gambit is the opening move of a chess game - by extension a provocative opening comment intended to start a conversation or one's starting position in negotiation. A gamut gets it name from the first note of a musical scale and to "run the gamut" means to cover all possible notes in a sequence or range. :D

See what I mean, CE? The man who knows everything, and stops at nothing to share his knowledge....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back