• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Legend of the Rangers

anlashok1

Regular
I've always been a Star Trek fan, but it's a bit utopian. Babylon 5 on the other hand, although in the 23rd Century, is far more realistic and what will be. J. Michael is probably the best sci-fi writer today and I thank the gods that we will have another series written by him. I look forward in anticipation to seeing it and am glad the the SciFi Channel is backing it. Don't let TNT get their hands on it.

------------------

It should be in good hands with the SFC. In the past they have made mistakes..but most channels do.

A lot of channels try to produce one or 2 types of shows due to what's popular.

SFC takes scifi and divides it up into seperate genres and has a pretty even amount of each sub-genre on the air.

I think they'll give JMS freedom to do whatever...and they also don't censor things quite as much as TNT.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

I couldn't agree more.
smile.gif

------------------
Star_TrekMISC261580.jpg
<font size="-2" color="silver">"The Babylon Project was our last, best, hope for peace.
A self-contained world five miles long, located in neutral
territory. A place of commerce and diplomacy for a quarter
of a million humans and aliens. A shining beacon in space,
all alone in the night. It was the dawn of the third age of
mankind, the year the great war came upon us all. This is
the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is
2259: the name of the place is Babylon 5."

I gotta agree with Anlashok1, the Trek universe is just too clean. Transporters, food replicators, prime directives...

It seems like the only problems that people ever face in the world of Trek are galactic-sized wars and incidents. The characters of B5 on the other hand still deal with real day-to-day personal problems like alcoholism, homelessness, addiction, depression, etc.

------------------
You are finite. Zathras is finite. This...is wrong tool.

And the other thing to remember vis a vis comparisons with "Star Trek"...the science.

In "Trek," the science and technology is all nigh unto magical in nature, with very, very little of it actually based upon real-world science. The Federation's technology has become so godlike in nature that all one needs to do is simply press a button, and one can receive anything from an enormous banquet to marital aids, or even modify the verteron nodes of the ship via the EPS conduits and save the star system/alien species/Neelix from complete annihilation.

With "Babylon 5," on the other hand, JMS has taken extraordinary pains to integrate ACTUAL spaceflight physics and spacecraft design into the very fabric of the story, along with cooperation from NASA.

The result?

When you look at "Babylon 5," unlike "Trek," you actually think to yourself, "That could be real someday. I'm looking at something that's *possible*!"

And that is where the true "sense of wonder" emerges. Not from watching mere pretty pictures...but from witnessing something that could one day be seen in orbit or in space. This is why "Babylon 5" holds a place in my heart that "Star Trek" has never managed to accomplish.

And I am looking forward to what is to come in the future.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Leto II (edited April 17, 2001).]

*grins* The same stuff you all are saying here, I found the actors saying very similar things in the Creating Babylon 5 book.

One thing that I love about B5 is how real and complex the characters are.

These people aren't flat or have one certain specific personality trait.

It is one thing to have a good story but in order to have a good show you need all aspects of the production to be right on, and B5 was just one of those shows when everything was perfect. *S* I was reading how prior to filming her scenes in "Geometry of Shadows" Claudia Christian had broken her leg in three places. JMS had it originally in the ep for Ivanova to kick some Drazi's around, but instead, he had to fix some things because of Claudia. You don't even get this feeling if you watch the ep. It just flows really nicely.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

JMS is just a Legend
smile.gif

I remeber one of his quote saying somthign like he starts writing with the characters and expands.

Deviot

Could not agree more B5 seems more realistic than the other scifi shows..

------------------
Emporer Turhan-"How will this end"
Kosh-"In fire"

Look at the bright side, Black Scorpion ran for a season, and it was the worst show in the history of TV. I was more enthralled by the movie "Plan 9 from Outer Space". If SFC ran BS, (love the letters from the Abbr.) then we are guarenteed at least a few seasons of B5LR.

By the way, The plotline looks good, I just hope it doesn't become a live action "Captain Harlock". JMS has given us trhe best science fiction ever, I hope he and SFC can keep up the good work.

------------------

I'd love it SFC could get it where they had one good original series on each night.

Monday they could have I-Man
Tuesday Farscape
Wednesday Legend of the Rangers
Thursday Crusade
Friday LEXX
Saturday First Wave
Sunday..umm..something else.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back