• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Have a B5LR telemovie character named after you!

I don't know, I'm not a big fan of my first name. The contest would undoubtably be for real names.

Is it possible to get the Rangers news letter they are offering without joining the contest.

------------------
Bus
"Yes, he is handsome in an ugly sort of way."-Homer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>yeah..like it would've been weird if for Crusade's run on SFC they would've aired A Call to Arms in 2 parts as episodes of the series.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that's a different kettle of fish. The Gathering was the pilot for Babylon 5 and To Live and Die in Starlight will be the pilot for Rangers. A Call to Arms was not the pilot for Crusade.

ACtA was the last Babylon 5 adventure, not the first Crusade story. (In fact, I'm looking at TNT's poster for it right now and it says, A Call to Arms: A Babylon 5 Movie
smile.gif
)

Crusade didn't have a pilot - that is, a sample episode or TV movie that introduces the series regulars and either sets up or illustrates the series premise. The show was sold to TNT without a pilot, based on the success of B5.

While ACtA did setup the background situation for Crusade S1 and introduce the ship and two of the characters who would be featured in it, it was more Sheridan and Anderson's story than anyone else's. Without Gideon, Matheson and Eilerson (none of whom had been cast at that point, IIRC) you can't really call it Crusade.

(Besides, as a matter of contracts and packaging, ACtA was never part of Crusade. I don't think you could add it to the series without having to renegotiate the contracts for Boxleitner, Doyle, et. al.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

But the only problem is it's extremely open ended. And the next thing in line is Sleeping in Light..so you'd kind of be like...so why did I watch that movie..since there's nothing after it aside from Crusade that references it.Watching it and then not watching crusade would be like watch the Gathering then not watching the B5.And look how different the Gathering was from the series.

The way I see it To Live and Die in Starlight is in the same situation as that..it's a B5 movie that "could" be a series.

I mean..look at the other B5 movies...could The River of Souls or Thirdspace have become series? Not likely. ACTA could though.

To me A Call to Arms feels like In the Beginning in that it has little to do with what B5 is about..but still sets it up and is good to watch(even though it was filmed during the series..i'm just commenting on the "feel" of it since it's in reruns now.)

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Hard to say. That was a pure Sci-Fi Channel decision, The Gathering had never aired as part of the regular series rotation on PTEN or TNT.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>But we were talking foreign distribution here, and that's how it was done in my part of the world, so I'm pretty sure the Gathering was sold as part of the first season.

(Looking at the international schedules on Lurker's it seems like some channels chopped it, and some didn't, but all (of those I looked at) aired it in the same timeslot as the rest of the season).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>If the series is comissioned, then it'll probably be chopped in two and sold as part of the first season like the Gathering was with B5.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hard to say. That was a pure Sci-Fi Channel decision, The Gathering had never aired as part of the regular series rotation on PTEN or TNT. I think SFC did it because they thought there were plot-points in it that were too important to the series to leave to a "stand-alone" TV movie, and which were not sufficiently reinforced in the series. (IIRC Lyta and G'Kar don't have a single conversation between The Gathering and the end of S5. So their S5 scenes would mean much less to anyone who happened to miss the movie. Establishing Lyta as the original station teep also helps with the rest of her arc.)

Whether this will happen with To Live and Die in Starlight will likely depend on the story it tells, and how much essential "backstory" it contains that can't easily be established with a couple of quick lines of dialogue in the regular episodes.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back