• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Would SFC need to add more hours of original programming to pick up RANGERS?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Babylon 5 was $800,000 per episode

Crusade was $850,000 per episode<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure where you got those figures, since JMS has never been very specific about budget numbers. What he has said indicates a higher number that what you cite for B5, and I believe Crusade was slightly higher than that.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>If "it" means the series, it's always been under $900 thousand per episode. If
"it" means ItB, the production cost was just a tick under three million bucks.

jms on usenet January 4, 1998<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>(Commenting on the bigger budgets for the TNT TV movies vs. the series epiosdes. The movie budgets were around $3 million USD.)

Actually, we don't really have that much more money. Each episode costs a tick under $1 million; for purposes of discussion, let's round that up to 1. So you're now talking 2 million for 2 hours. Now you've got another million to spend.

*But* ALL the prices go up by union scale and whatever else can be negotiated. Actors fees go up, writers fees go up, directors fees go up, crew fees go up... so at the end of the day, you find you have a *little* more to spend, but not really that much. -- jms on Compuserve June 7, 1997
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So at a little over a million bucks an episode, Stargate is probably in line with what Crusade cost and what Rangers would go for. Both are substantially cheaper than a hit half-hour comedy on a network, where the cast alone will cost more than a million dollars per episode.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
I'm not sure where you got those figures, since JMS has never been very specific about budget numbers. What he has said indicates a higher number that what you cite for B5, and I believe Crusade was slightly higher than that.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually B5/Crusade budget was $920 000 per episode according to JMSNews (http://www.jmsnews.com/scripts/MsgS...c=1&Flags=1&Query=920&QFlags=1&ls=1&qs=1&qt=0).

But i have read that Crusade budget was only $20 000 bigger than B5 budget. Maybe B5 budget was $900 000 and Crusade budget $920 000.

My original $800 000 per episode was based to Finland B5 site http://www.hut.fi/~shaavist/b5/tuotanto.html

------------------
www.zone.ee/b5project

At 1.3 million per episode SG1 is considered an expensive show. While a hit sitcom on the 6-networks may cost more than that in actor's salaries, the revenue they can produce based on their ratings is *significantly* greater. If B5 got the ratings of a West Wing, the B5 cast would be getting a lot more money too. It's all relative.

Best,
Alyson

------------------

At 1.3 million per episode SG1 is considered an expensive show. While a hit sitcom on the 6-networks may cost more than that in actor's salaries, the revenue they can produce based on their ratings is *significantly* greater. If B5 got the ratings of a West Wing, the B5 cast would be getting a lot more money too. It's all relative.

Best,
Alyson

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
So at a little over a million bucks an episode, Stargate<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The figure I've seen quoted for the current season $1.3 million.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sigma:
But i have read that Crusade budget was only $20 000 bigger than B5 budget. Maybe B5 budget was $900 000 and Crusade budget $920 000.

My original $800 000 per episode was based to Finland B5 site.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>One thing you have to take into account in that all shows get a noticable budget increase each year, so the buget for B5 season 1 would not be the same as season 4 or 5.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back