• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Will it ever be on UK Terrestrial?

Droshalla

Beyond the rim
As someone without SKY TV, I'd really like to see this on terrestrial. I don't know a great deal about it, but it seems quite intriguing and it's also from the pen of JMS of course.

I fear it may be one of those shows that never makes it to the UK other than SKY. Failing this, is there any news of a DVD boxset, or hell even a VHS boxset?

Since I am not from the UK myself I am going to assume that "terrestrial" is something like our basic cable? Channels which Friends, ER, West Wing, Firefly, Buffy, etc. air on?

Jeremiah is a premium cable show and hasn't been revised for syndication (edit out the nudity and language) which would make it more appealing to the basic cable channels. Since JMS indicated the show wouldn't make it to syndication for a few more years (possibly after or near the end of the series), it isn't likely that MGM will go through the bother of re-editing until that happens. Therefore, I wouldn't expect it to appear on "terrestrial" TV any time soon. :(

Also, it sounds like MGM and Showtime have a long term exclusive contract which sounds like it might affect when it will be released on DVD/VHS. However, it could be likely that they would release it in those formats internationally (I would assume everywhere but Region 1 since that would tap into Showtime's market). However, there has been no word on that front yet.

Hope that helps!

Since I am not from the UK myself I am going to assume that "terrestrial" is something like our basic cable? Channels which Friends, ER, West Wing, Firefly, Buffy, etc. air on?

{snip}

The terrestrial channels are the "free" channels that arrive using an ordinary metal roof areial. They are BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5.

(They are not actually free since we have to pay a tax of about $150 a year.) :mad:

(edit out the nudity and language) which would make it more appealing to the basic cable channels. Since JMS indicated the show wouldn't make it to syndication for a few more years (possibly after or near the end of the series), it isn't likely that MGM will go through the bother of re-editing until that happens. Therefore, I wouldn't expect it to appear on "terrestrial" TV any time soon. :(

There's no reason why a UK "terrestrial" channel couldn't buy the rights to the show, just as Sky One did, they're all just channels. Both the BBC and Sky showed X-Files, for example. I think Sky had an exclusivity deal so they showed them ahead of the BBC by some stretch of time.
I've always been a bit confused about the US TV system and "syndication"! :) Channels are just channels, I though...
And as I said in another post, I think the only chance we have in the UK of seasin S2 would be on another channel.
I'm not really sure if "Do you know if or how the UK will get Jeremiah season 2" is a question that JMS would have an answer to as I doubt it's a process he's involved in.

Well, here in the states, there are certain regulations that say what can be shown/said on television. You can't have nudity or excessive swearing (there are 7 words that cannot be said on TV). The reason why we have "premium" cable channels is so we can see things like the "Sopranos" or "Sex in the City". We would never get to see those shows on the regular TV market without some editing done.

Just because your terrestrial TV showed the "X-Files" doesn't really mean anything to me. There is nothing controversial about it (as in nudity or swearing) so I would expect it to be shown on normal television channels.

How does UK TV deal with shows with nudity and/or swearing? Can they be show late at night unedited? Do they edit out the nudity? If that is the case then I guess it could air on a UK terrestrial channel. I was under the assumption that TV that most everyone has access to is limited by what they can show and therefore Jeremiah would have to be edited for that type of viewing.

If you want to know more about syndication, please read one of Joseph DeMartino's informative (but lengthy) posts about it. He does a much better job at it since he understands the market better than I do. ;)

Well, here in the states, there are certain regulations that say what can be shown/said on television. You can't have nudity or excessive swearing (there are 7 words that cannot be said on TV). The reason why we have "premium" cable channels is so we can see things like the "Sopranos" or "Sex in the City". We would never get to see those shows on the regular TV market without some editing done.
Nudity and swearing are legal after 9 at night.

"Sex and the City" is only topless so there are few restrictions on showing it.

You can have full nudity after 9pm (oo terrestrial at least), though it's not all that common so perhaps there are rules regarding when it is permitted.

I would have thought it unlikely that a terrestrial channel would buy the rights because its American and that generally means only BBC 2 or C4 or C5 would be interested. Its an adult show with adult themes and editing this show would make it laughable so that counts out C4 who show Alias on a Saturday afternoon cut to bits. That leaves BB2 who I don't think would be interested and C5 would probably pass as it hasn't been a huge success on Sky who have now dumped it into middle of the night spot.

If Sky do not buy the rights I can see Sci Fi buying and showing it and as they have proven in the past they will buy any old piece of crap.

Jeremiah would have to be transmitted late at night, possibly in the repeat (uncut) slot used for Buffy on a Friday night. The late night Xena weekend slot could also be used. I suspect that the Angel slot will be used.

British TV still has difficulty handling Sci Fi for people over the age of 12.

Thanks to everyone who helped answer my question. I would have replied to return questions about UK TV but it looks like people have beat me to it.

I don't know that much about Jeremiah other than basic story outline, and cast & crew. Is it very strong in terms of sex/nudity/language/violence? From what I've read here I think it would be most likely to be shown on C4 early in the morning - if at all. Perhaps the European market would be open to VHS/DVD volumes of 2 per tape etc. That's what's been done with many American science fiction imports - Babylon 5, Crusade, Star Trek(s)/Enterprise - and yet not with others - The X-Files, Smallville, others.

Just from reading about this JMS series I want to watch it, but I'll just have to face not getting to... at least for quite a while yet. :(

Channel 5 could buy it - they did show Lexx a while back which has adult themes and nudity in it (although I think some editing was done). Maybe C4 too. Either way, it would still be a late night slot, probably 10pm.

You are correct about Sci-Fi too - they will bu pretty much anything so if all else fails, lets hope they don't :)

I sure hope that one of these does take it on, I would be gutted if I didn't get to see season 2.

X-files is on sale in the UK (and the US) on DVD. Smallville will be out later this year in the UK in the form of a boxset.

X-files is on sale in the UK (and the US) on DVD. Smallville will be out later this year in the UK in the form of a boxset.

Note that I said in the style of "Video Volumes" ala Star Trek, and Babylon 5. The X-Files was only ever released in the form of "Feature Videos" and then boxsets (I admit it did start out very early and very briefly doing VHS volumes, but they quickly stopped after about 6). Same with Smallville; only boxsets are forthcoming.

Neither of these shows did the video volumes thing for any segnificant period. B5 and Trek did so for every episode however - so Jeremiah could follow this pattern.

I'm sorry but this model is now dead and dvd boxsets will be the only way to collect a show for several reasons:

Its cheaper, both to manufacture and buy;
A season boxset takes up the same room on a shelf as about two VHS tapes.

And another indication that the VHS two episode thing is dead is that Enterprise will no longer be released VHS. Paramount will now ditch this in favour of a boxset.

I do no believe shows will be released on VHS for much longer.

When I said it "could follow this pattern", I mean as in it the option is there should they desire it, not that it was a very likely possibility. I agree, this model of 2 episodes per VHS is all but dead.

There is another option - they could release 4 episodes per DVD like "Farscape", although I don't know why anyone would choose to manufacture or buy in this style.

Besides, anything would do me, just so that I can get to watch it. Maybe I'd like it maybe I wouldn't, but I want to be able to give it a chance.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back