• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Why was Cusade so hated?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I would argue that we don't know enough about the plot make any kind of concrete judgement about what was going to happen. Go back and watch the first 13 eps of B5, and see how much of the plot you know-- that wouldn't even get you to Signs and Portents.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya know, everytime I find myself defending Crusade, I wind up saying the same thing: go back and compare Crusade with the first 13 episodes of Babylon 5. Tell me which is better. Personally, I've always felt that Crusade, despite it's faults, was stronger than the first 13 of B5 and Star Trek: TOS (heck, the first two seasons of that series). There was one widely-regarded classic--The Path of Sorrows--and several very good eps--Racing the Night, Each Night I Dream of Home, Needs of Earth, Long Road, and (my favorite) Well of Forever). Most of the complaints about Crusade's quality in comparison to B5 were done by people comparing it to third season B5, which just ain't fair.

The funny thing about all of the criticism during Crusade's inital run....the two major complaints I kept seeing were (1) why aren't they rushing to find out about the plague? and (2) where are the Rangers?

Of course, Racing the Night through Each Night... dealt with both right away, but they were no longer the first episodes. Thank you, TNT.
crazy.gif

------------------
It's the quiet ones who change the universe. The loud ones only take the credit.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kalen Efran:
Ya know, everytime I find myself defending Crusade, I wind up saying the same thing: go back and compare Crusade with the first 13 episodes of Babylon 5. Tell me which is better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say that the 13 episodes of Crusade were more even in quality.

There were a few outstanding first half of 1st season episodes in B5 - Parliament of Dreams, Mind War, And the Sky Full of Stars, By Any Means Necessary, Signs and Portents - but there were equally many that were weakish (they look better on rewatching, since even the weak ones contain some important plot points).

So yeah, I'd say as well that what we got of Crusade was generally better than the first 13 eps of B5. It's hard to compare them, of course, but I certainly don't think Crusade was bad.

Especially when considered that we didn't even get to the main storyline - but even when just taking into account the existing episodes and not thinking "what could have been".

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
So yeah, I'd say as well that what we got of Crusade was generally better than the first 13 eps of B5. It's hard to compare them, of course, but I certainly don't think Crusade was bad.

Especially when considered that we didn't even get to the main storyline - but even when just taking into account the existing episodes and not thinking "what could have been".

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And if TNT hadn't demanded War Zone, we could have had To the Ends of the Earth, and a lot more people would be asking for Crusade's return.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
TNT: Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
TNT: Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C'mon Kosh, don't hold back; tell us how you really feel.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I'm feeling a lot of love on this thread here today. Yessir.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
C'mon Kosh, don't hold back; tell us how you really feel.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK.
laugh.gif

I suspect that TLaDiS would have had more familiar B5 universe elements
had Warner Brothers not lost all the B5 Lightwave files. I think every
B5/Crusade fan ought to be given one free kick at the backsides of every
single Warner Brothers employee that was involved in this "loss." Be
warned, Warner Brothers, I kick really hard, and I'll be wearing steel
toed, Size 14 boots. Look out! You won't be able to sit down again for
YEARS.

Why, when Warner Brothers shoots themselves in the foot, do they insist on
doing it with the GAU/8A 30mm cannon from the A-10 Warthog???

A10_Cannon.jpg

This loss was so stupendous, it makes me wonder if it's the result of a
personal grudge of a TNT-ite.

I smell a Turner-Nitwit-Television Wascal here.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited January 22, 2002).]

Sorry for the double-tap. My ISP disconnected me as I sent it, and the result was that two got sent. Go figure.

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited January 22, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> TNT: Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zathras back away. Zathras ears too fragile, does not like ringing he gets. Makes Zathras see spots. Not good, not good.

------------------
It's the quiet ones who change the universe. The loud ones only take the credit.

WoW, it seems I'm at odds with everyone concerning Crusade and B5 background music
shocked.gif

To me, the chords used in B5 season 1 were bold, daring, and intrusive. Since that was so unusual, I enjoyed it. I was rather sad when that style was discontinued, LoL. I began to like it over the traditional melodic background music which began to sound the same from TV show to TV show. Crusade's music was better yet. It was a complete break from the traditional TV music -- it used lots of notes that were crisp, clean and short (versus long, mixed and blended). It had more of a rhythm than any other TV show I can recall. It also sounded extremely alien to me. Like something that might've come from Dureena's world. To me it set the mood for the show like the clangs set the mood for the first season of B5. I personally wish more styles of background music would be tried in TV shows -- I miss the variety I found in B5 season 1 and Crusade. I was also rather dissappointed that the music of Legend of the Rangers was the mundane traditional TV music (though really well done).

------------------
I made an insane observation, which lead to an insane deduction...

i've seen like a total of 25 minutes of crusade and the one problem i saw with it was the budget. some of the planet sets or alien looked kinda cheap to me. when it first aired i wasnt into b5 at the time (i was before that and after that) so I never really watched it. kinda sounds like i missed out.

------------------

Re: Why was Crusade so hated?

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by BlackStar: </font color>
I'm going to step in and defend Chen here.
There were only 13 episodes. If you were to go back and watch the first 13 of B5, odds are you wouldn't like Franke that much.

It took Franke a while to start giving us greats like pieces from The Long, Twilight Struggle; Messages From Earth; Severed Dreams; Z'ha'dum; and others such as Endgame.

It takes a while to get used to the style.

Plus, Franke had this annoying clanging sound he liked to use in the themes. I can't stand it.

So, Sta, what do you think of "My Way" on the Crusade CD. Hint: It's the end "music" from "Ruling from the Tomb."
devil.gif

This is KoshN trying to lure Sta out of Babbleon members' lounge.
devil.gif

Re: Why was Crusade so hated?

The tear apart Italian Bread with sesame seeds on it. (e.g. Tarquinio's "Twist" bread).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back