• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Why did Sheridan really replace Sinclair?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:

Btw, what is a "Q" rating?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My guess:

The ability to withstand a rather poor 1982 movie about a large flying snake?

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

The "Q" rating is a measure of the "likeability" of an actor, especially important in series TV where the audience needs to want to see the same actor week after week. For years the industry denied that the "Q" ratings even existed. I'm not sure if they've become more up-front about them in recent years. Savant could probably tell you.

Coming into B5 Michael O'Hare would have had a "Q" rating of about zero, since he had done little or no TV or film up until that time. Bruce Boxleitner, coming off the successful Scarecrow and Mrs. King opposite the equally likeable Kate Jackson, and having done a number of successful TV movies (including a couple of installments of the Gambler series with Kenny Rogers) would have had a very high rating.

A TV actor with a high "Q" rating can be like a "bankable" movie star - someone who can "carry" a project, and pretty much assure that people will tune in to at least check a series out, almost regardless of what the show's specificst. Bob Newhart and Mary Tyler Moore would be examples (though note the "almost"
smile.gif
), as would Tom Selleck.

But this isn't an exact science. Tim Conway probably has (or had, when he was more visible on TV) a high "Q" rating, because he comes across as a very likeable man. But he was never able to carry a series, and probably did his best TV work as a second- or third-banana on the old Carol Burnett Show. (Conway had such a lousy track record with his early stabs at a TV series that for awhile he had a California vanity license plate that read "13 WKS" - indicating how long his shows tended to last.
smile.gif
)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>My guess:

The ability to withstand a rather poor 1982 movie about a large flying snake?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

???????????????????????????????????????

Say what ???

Obvously missed that one altogether. Can anyone enlighten ...

anyone ...

laugh.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Somebody gulped. You were supposed to sip not gulp!"

Sinclair left the first season, so the seeds of Marcus could be planted, if you remeber in Episode 113, Marcus says "and then" and "Hello", well in Season 1 in Episode 07 Sinclair said "And then I ordered mashed potatos" while having a meeting in the War Room (the future past war room mind you cause in the future we have a war room, but in the past the is a "war room" and there is a diffrence). Later in Season 1 Sinclair says "Hello, I am commander Sinclair", JUST like Marcus says "Hello I am Marcus may I do your Dry-Cleaning" The Foreshadowing is amazing....

Seriuosly folks you guys twist stuff to the point were JMS has to go back and make sure he is right. Ever think LOTR didnt go to series because JMS got tired of listening too fans distort his vision, so now we get stuck with the next big Olsen Twins series. Way to go guys, way to go!!!

------------------
"Reality is just a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs."

Chow, thanks for that insightful post. I hadn't realised it was our fault that B5LR hasn't gotten greenlighted yet. Thanks for enlightening us.

Welcome to the board. I hope you enjoy trolling, er, I mean posting here.

Joe, thanks for the explanation.
I wonder if the "Q" stands for something, like Likeability Quotient.

It looks like this kind of thinking may have been partly responsible for casting the guy from Quantum Leap as the new Trek captain. He seems to be very much "liked."

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

GHair:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Say what ???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was a reference to the 1982 "classic" Q (AKA Q: The Winged Serpent) about a kind of Central American dragon creature that takes up residence in the top of the Chrysler Building in New York. (No, I'm not making this up.)

The film featured Michael Moriarty, Candy Clark, David Carradine, Richard Roundtree and several other likeable actors who really should have known better.

GKE:

Scott Bakula was almost certainly courted by Paramount because of a good "Q" rating and "name" value as at least a genre "cult-star". Plus he had shown some versatility and raised his public profile a bit during his stint on Murphy Brown.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Yea its kinda funny. After several serious and revealing posts, along comes a troll, cessing up the board.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

I didn't think chow was "trolling".
It looked to ME like he was trying to get a laugh.

Chow, use more emoticons!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

Ok, fine, so I'm the jerk. Is anyone surprised?

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Hey, at least you are consistent!

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Joe D,

While I agree with all the points you bring up, and have read JMS's posts many times (although not when they were originally posted), I still can't get over the feeling that Catherine Sakai was being set up to play the same basic role as Anna Sheridan, therefore bringing Sinclair into the fold. Her trip to Sigma 957 in "Mind War" suggested to me that she might well have been contracted to go to Z'Ha'Dum in the same manner. While the premise and time frame would have to be a bit different, she could have been thought by Sinclair to have died and then reappeared at the end of S3, much in the same way as Anna, thereby giving Sinclair the Shadowman connection needed.

Perhaps something along those lines was originally contemplated by JMS, and modified when Sheridan came on board. I find that more plausible than Lise being the connection, because I'm sure the travel to Z'Ha'Dum and subsequent death and rebirth was always planned and would need to have been done by the main character, rather than a Garibaldi or Keffer.

Regardless, we'll never know unless the original arc, as the story of Jeffery Sinclair, as contemplated by JMS, is released, and the chances for that is about as much as the truth coming out on Enron
lol.gif

Whoops, should have read the first post rather than just going to the second page! Oh well, it deserves to be said again...

------------------
Wipster

"Live Long in Prosser"

[This message has been edited by wipster (edited February 16, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
That was a reference to the 1982 "classic" Q (AKA Q: The Winged Serpent) about a kind of Central American dragon creature that takes up residence in the top of the Chrysler Building in New York. (No, I'm not making this up.)

The film featured Michael Moriarty, Candy Clark, David Carradine, Richard Roundtree and several other likeable actors who really should have known better.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would've bet on you getting that one, Joe. I salute you!
smile.gif

By way of explanation, I was looking through back issues of Famous Monsters last night. Sorry!

The Q stands for Quetzalcoatl.

"Just call it Q. That's all you'll have time to say before it tears you apart!"

Not exactly a tagline for the ages, is it?

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

Thanks for that Joe. It kind of figured that you would know.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

With a plot as preposterous as that, it just has to be based on a true story, wouldn't you say?

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

------------------
DaveC
"Somebody gulped. You were supposed to sip not gulp!"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back